Does mk1 LCR have to have XL/Extra Load rated tyres?

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Haven't had time to get on here for a couple of days but big thanks for the responses everyone.

I ordered a set of the Vredesteins which are here now. They do have "EXTRA LOAD" printed on the sidewall and Camskill had them listed as "92Y XL". Hopefully get them fitted next week.

I had the Falken FK452s before and I thought they were pretty poor in the wet, I even found I was getting wheelspin back when the car was standard, on a dry spring day. I won't touch them again.

Al, yes I did consider other ones, did some reading on review websites but I didn't find anything that was rated as well all-round as the Sessantas. I have Sessantas on the front now and was very happy with them until they got close to the legal limit. I nearly went for Toyo T1R Proxes but read some poor reviews on wet performance. I may try something else next time if I still have the car, just had to order some new ones pretty quickly as the old ones were bang on the limit at MOT time last week.

offitmassive

check out blackcircles or whatever the website is that does tyres and put your reg no in. That will tell you what spec tyres are meant to be on. This spec can be exceeded but should never be lowered as if you are involved in an accident, insurance companies will check tyres and what should be on and will say no to a pay out claim. The site will also advise if the tyres are meant to be extra load tyres.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Nice one, Blackcircles.co.uk says the LCR should have 90W rated tyres so 92Y is fine. It doesn't mention XL or Extra Load so I guess I'd have been fine without. Seem to remember reading on here the last time that XL was a requirement, must have been another forum myth.

YellowLCR

Jun 13, 2010
West Yorkshire
Mate if you look in the Leon user guides Cupra R appendix it says the tyres have to be 225/40/18 92Y XL in a table at the bottom of one of the pages I can remember reading it.
The pirelli tyre that came as standard on the car new were this rating.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members