Does the Ibiza have TCS as standard?

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
I noticed in the Ibiza brochure and on the website it implies that TCS is standard fit. Can anyone confirm does the Ibiza have TCS if you dont have the ESP option fitted?

Last edited:

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
"FYI: The latest ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System) and the most recent TCS (Traction Control System) is also included. Yes, you own the road."

The above statement is on the Seat website. While it does seem possible it has TCS it would be nice if someone from Seat UK could confirm it.

product

Nov 6, 2007
Traction control is standard on new Ibiza for sure. Floor it from stationary on a wet road and you'll see the dash light (and probably feel the throttle held back by the electronics...)

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
on 2010 cars perhaps, on my sep/poct 2009 car if i floor it in the wet i get a great deal of wheelspin and perhaps some bouncing of the front wheels.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Traction control is standard on new Ibiza for sure. Floor it from stationary on a wet road and you'll see the dash light (and probably feel the throttle held back by the electronics...)

If thats the case then presumably there is no way to disable it as it doesn't have a TCS button like the MK4 Ibiza?

NLmaverick

not sure if this is country related but in Netherlands TCS (ESP) is defo not standard.
ABS is standard for all models, ESP is the option together with TCS + hill control etc for all models untill Sport, and it is a default "option" on the FR + Cupra.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
I think as nlmaverick said? ESP is the option together with TCS + hill control only standard on the fr up, we have two ibizas an se and a sport both 2009 (well px one now) this was not standard on my cars so we diden't have it.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Just go on to the Seats web site and go to spec my seat then you can see all options,
ESP WITH HILL HOLD EBA AND TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING IS A £290 OPTION. ONLY STANDARD ON THE FR UPWARDS.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Just go on to the Seats web site and go to spec my seat then you can see all options,
ESP WITH HILL HOLD EBA AND TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING IS A £290 OPTION. ONLY STANDARD ON THE FR UPWARDS.

ESP and TCS are completely different things. ESP requires additional sensors on the wheel to work. TCS can work using the standard ABS setup.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Just had a read of the instruction manual, TCS has the asterisk and on page 149 it says "The TCS is switched on automatically when the engine is started. If Necessary, it may be turned off by briefly pushing the ESP button on the center console.

So from that it's seems you dont have TCS unless you also have ESP.

It also says at the bottom of that page "The electronic stability program (ESP) consists of ABS, EDL and TCS."

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
I will contact Seat UK tomorrow and try to get a definite answer.

I'm curious to hear why "Product" seems so certain the Ibiza has TCS as standard? If you floor it in 1st gear in the wet and a dash light illuminates you definitely have TCS. Perhaps some people with TDI Ibiza without the ESP option can try this and report back?

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Pretty sure unless it has a button of any type be it tcs, asr or esp you don't have it.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Taken from google is esp the same as traction controll

Now if your a bit of a car novice like myself your probably asking yourself 'What the hell is EPS' ... well it stands for 'Electronic Stability Programme' which is basically VW's version of traction control which helps keep the car from going into a spin/skid but controlling the amount of power/braking to wheels indvidually. This feature actually saved my life when a driver decided it would be a good idea to move into my lane on the motoroway whilst overtaking forcing me onto a grass verge. Within miliseconds the EPS kicked in (you can feel EPS when its engaged) allowing me to correct my course and move back onto the motorway unharmed.

EdHorny

Loves his Boc.
Oct 12, 2008
Burntwood
Yeah ESP, as I understand will use a mix of power to the front wheels (unless 4WD) and brakes all round to stabilise the car, so if you have understeer it will slow down the appropriate corner to control it, it will also apply brakes to counteract the back end stepping out.... it goes on, youtube has some good examples of the system. TCS however just prevents wheel spin on the drive wheels and cuts the power till it gets grip and gives you the car back.

Both are great systems, yes sometimes the TCS can be a bit eager. But the ESP definately saves lives.

ED

EdHorny

Loves his Boc.
Oct 12, 2008
Burntwood
Saw a documentary on Sky not long back about car safety features. They reacon ESP will be as standard on all cars (except cheap crap from Tata) by 2012. They billed it as the new ABS.

ED

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Saw a documentary on Sky not long back about car safety features. They reacon ESP will be as standard on all cars (except cheap crap from Tata) by 2012. They billed it as the new ABS.

It's already mandatory to have ESP in some European countries and the whole of the EU will be covered from 2011.

ESP really should be standard fit on the Ibiza like the Polo. It's stupid to market them as sporty and miss out a key safety feature.

EdHorny

Loves his Boc.
Oct 12, 2008
Burntwood
Excellent, it's a natural progression in car safety. Won't be long and every car will have radars on detecting braking distances and stuff like on top end Volvo's and Merc's... I agree though, the Ibiza should have it as standard, especially considering the competitive market it's in.

ED

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.