Does this log look ok?

vagman2001

Aug 19, 2011
Thanks for the replies lads, I understand what is happening (after quite good explanations) what I need to know now is how I sort this out? I'm quite fussy about cars and running correctly so I'd like this sorted.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
What other mods have you got beside the Forge valve? Uprated air filter? Uprated turbo intake? Intercooler?

Bill's the expert but I'd say the map is just asking too much of the hardware and the fuel. Your injectors are flat out at the top end, which is probably a symptom rather than the cause but your EGTs and timing pull are a bit scary. I also think you may have a boost leak or other issue, your actual boost is falling a bit short of request. Having said that, as Ben points out your N75 isn't hitting 100%.

Had a look at the Maxol website, it says their regular unleaded is 95 octane and their E5 is 99 - is it the E5 you're using or the regular stuff?

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Bill's the expert but I'd say the map is just asking too much of the hardware and the fuel. Your injectors are flat out at the top end, which is probably a symptom rather than the cause but your EGTs and timing pull are a bit scary. I also think you may have a boost leak or other issue, your actual boost is falling a bit short of request. Having said that, as Ben points out your N75 isn't hitting 100%.

Don't think there's a boost leak issue here mate, if you look at the figures hes holding 20psi at 5k, 19psi at 5.5k 18psi at 6k and 16.6psi through to 6.6k.

I'm guessing 95% is highest duty cycle N75 will go to and his turbo is just flat out - not a problem though, as far as I've seen these boost figures are about ballpark for a K04.

As for injector on time, remember that he's hitting pretty high EGT protection, so it's a given they are going to be working overtime. If he was hitting 100% to maintain 0.8lambda I'd be worried that there was no headroom to cool things down if EGT protection kicked in, but as it stands he's still managing to hit the requests and keep things cool.

When you think that his timing is so retarded with pretty high boost levels and high intake temps, his EGTs are going to be about as high as they ever will be, so I'd say it should be a rare occasion where even more fuel is required to keep things cool.

I agree with you that the map is too much for the car though - just look at the boost requests - 22psi at 6k revs?! and 20psi at 6.5k! Never going to hit that!

vagman2001

Aug 19, 2011
What other mods have you got beside the Forge valve? Uprated air filter? Uprated turbo intake? Intercooler?

Had a look at the Maxol website, it says their regular unleaded is 95 octane and their E5 is 99 - is it the E5 you're using or the regular stuff?

Nothing except the forge dv, n249 is bypassed, standard air filter with standard tip and bkr7e plugs.

All of there petrol is e5 now as far as we know.

I'd like to find out what map it has or who mapped it...I think the best thing to do is to get it mapped properly and to the fuel I run it on, gonna be driving like a granny until then!

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Don't think there's a boost leak issue here mate, if you look at the figures hes holding 20psi at 5k, 19psi at 5.5k 18psi at 6k and 16.6psi through to 6.6k.

I'm guessing 95% is highest duty cycle N75 will go to and his turbo is just flat out - not a problem though, as far as I've seen these boost figures are about ballpark for a K04.

As for injector on time, remember that he's hitting pretty high EGT protection, so it's a given they are going to be working overtime. If he was hitting 100% to maintain 0.8lambda I'd be worried that there was no headroom to cool things down if EGT protection kicked in, but as it stands he's still managing to hit the requests and keep things cool.

When you think that his timing is so retarded with pretty high boost levels and high intake temps, his EGTs are going to be about as high as they ever will be, so I'd say it should be a rare occasion where even more fuel is required to keep things cool.

I agree with you that the map is too much for the car though - just look at the boost requests - 22psi at 6k revs?! and 20psi at 6.5k! Never going to hit that!

But the actual boost isn't holding the request from mid-range upwards. That's either going to be because there's a leak or the turbo isn't working right. If it was the latter, you'd know about it. The N75 not hitting 100% is odd too - mine does.

I still think this might be a Revo map that some previous owner has used an SPS switch to whack the boost right up to 9, without having decent fuel and other mods to proprerly support it...

Nothing except the forge dv, n249 is bypassed, standard air filter with standard tip and bkr7e plugs.

All of there petrol is e5 now as far as we know.

I'd like to find out what map it has or who mapped it...I think the best thing to do is to get it mapped properly and to the fuel I run it on, gonna be driving like a granny until then!

As I said before, see if you can find someone with a Revo SPS switch near you, they'll be able to tell if it's got a Revo map and what the settings are, and if it does, turn them down a bit.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Just checked some of my own logs, I could have sworn mine requested and happily made 1.5 bar but it's not, it's 1.2. So yeah, fair point - that's a suicide map.

vagman2001

Aug 19, 2011
I suppose another possibility is that it had a tip, exhaust, air filter etc. mapped to all of that but sold standard and parts were sold separately.

Either way I'd rather have it remapped properly rather than just turning down the boost, I think it would be better in the long run what you think? At least that way I can get it mapped to the fuel I use too.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
If it's Revo and it is just turned up too high then I'd say set it more sensibly (boost at 5 or 6 and timing at 2 or 3) then log again and see how it looks. Revo copes with different quality fuels by giving you enough adjustment in the timing to be able to turn it up if you have access to good stuff or turn it down if you don't.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.