Does your TDi like Shell Diesel?

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
Mine does not seem to! When I tank it up with Shell, I get an MPG on a mixed run in the mid to high 40s. However, if I switch to Esso or BP (normal) diesel, I get low to mid 50s!

Is this isolated to my car od has anyone else found the same thing?

Thanks.

Wheely

Nov 19, 2003
The Sou' West
Visit site
Well I have not noticed, but I do have mate with a new Lexus IS 220D thingy.

He's been using supermarket derv since he's had the car and recons on his commute trip to work, he's been getting around 36mpg.

Now the other day he stuck in some BP stuff (not the expensive variety) and recons his economy went into the early 40s for the same trip - and the car started to pull in 6th, where it wasnt before.

As the cars new, maybe its also loosening up a little, but he recons it was an overnight change !!!

Maybe I'll try BP next time and see if it pays for itself................('cause I'm normally an Asda man :whistle: )

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I've been using Shell for a while now, since I found a station near work that's always as cheap as Morrissons...

Generally runs pretty well on Shell, but I do find my car has good and bad days whatever fuel I put in, never figured out the cause yet.

Some days it's smoke free, others it smokes like hell.....perhaps you're just seeing the same effect :shrug:

TonyK

Vodka?
Jul 16, 2006
Northampton
I only use BP Ultimate D in mine, only thing that's ever gone in and it's hardly smokey (so I've been told by people following) and it pulls very well. It's only done 1800 miles though and I have to say if I drive normally on a 20 journey I only see low 40s for MPG but that could be because I have a heavyish right foot

shell in mine is crap, obviously i'll give it a go in the new FR. BP ultimate is equally as poor, tho my mum will only use it (probably coz she owns a string of BP garages :lol: ) but that aside, she does get good mpg, where i don't
it's Esso all the way for me, specially when i buy it at Tesco, and get clubcard points too :D

Niall

Aug 6, 2003
www.testrake.com
Nearly always use Ultimate Diesel, engine runs quieter and smokes less. My sister worked for ESSO for a year at a refinery and they had test rigs with engines, and all engines running on low + no detergent e.g. Supermarket fuel always had high consumption and a shorter life span.

Thus i always tank quality fuel.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I've run my car on Shell most of the time and haven't noticed any difference on the odd occasions I have used other makes.

I use Shell as I know that I can fill the car at my local Shell station without it blowing back and cutting out, which has been a persistent problem with some other pumps. As good a reason as any to keep using it.:)

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Run mine on Total stuff - aint got a clue whats in it, but it's the same if I put in Adda crap, Total, Esso, BP - drives exactly the same !!!

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
shell in mine is crap, obviously i'll give it a go in the new FR. BP ultimate is equally as poor, tho my mum will only use it (probably coz she owns a string of BP garages :lol: ) but that aside, she does get good mpg, where i don't
it's Esso all the way for me, specially when i buy it at Tesco, and get clubcard points too :D

Yes, I have to say that Esso Derv seems best for my car. I get better economy and smooth power delivery as well.

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
i've been using shell for a while and its been ok, although its rather smokey when u plant it! but i guess thats normal...also mpg has reduced dramatically but i guess thats down to being revo'd now :lol:

how do other peopl find revo'd pd130's for mpg? on a 22 mile trip, i used to get 60mpg! today i struggled to get 45mpg!

Deleted member 5241

Generally runs pretty well on Shell, but I do find my car has good and bad days whatever fuel I put in, never figured out the cause yet.

My Toledo is exactly the same. On a trip to work at 78 mph on cruise some days I get 52 indicated mpg and others I get 56. Similar weather / traffic / time conditions. Weird really, but its over 50 so I'm happy :D

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
i've been using shell for a while and its been ok, although its rather smokey when u plant it! but i guess thats normal...also mpg has reduced dramatically but i guess thats down to being revo'd now :lol:

how do other peopl find revo'd pd130's for mpg? on a 22 mile trip, i used to get 60mpg! today i struggled to get 45mpg!

A remapped Tdi should give better economy figures as you spend less time accelerating to get up to speed.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
I put Tescos in mine the other day, but that's only because I had a 5p off per litre thing. That and I don't really care how long this car lasts...

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Mine's OK on regular diesel. It's when I try and use the posh stuff it goes a little funny. She runs much better on regular cheap diesel and a millilitre of millers with every litre of diesel.

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
A remapped Tdi should give better economy figures as you spend less time accelerating to get up to speed.

thats wot i thort! so shud i b worried that im finding it harder to get similar mpg figures?

i only had her revo'd on saturday, so its coming up to a week, does it take time to adjust to give the better economy? like wen u first run a car in? as it took about a month before i was really starting to b impressed with the mpg anyway.

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield

How do you work that one out?! Your still getting to the same speed, which will require the same amount of Kinetic energy to be produced from the Diesel fuel's chemical potential energy, which leaves one main factor - the engines thermal efficiency.

This is all comes down to how efficient the mapping is at controlling the fuel/boost air mixture. As a remap is generally car specific, they are tuned in harmony with the engines characteristics, whereas a factory map is much more generic.

Dave: No doubt yor car will get better over time as the remap will apply short-term settings, however if it really is bad, the map could be faulty, wrong tyre pressures, driving style, journey types could be to blame.