Double SMIC on Cupra (like LCR)

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
youd need a good look at a lcr to see differences. where would you put a second fmic? how would you pipe it in? i think youd need to modify your exisiting pipes to include it rather than try to fit it as in the lcr. dont forget the turbos bigger too.

fmic would be easier and give better cooling

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
2nd intercooler on an LCR is a different part to the first intercooler, not sure if the 1st intercooler on an LCR is the same as the intercooler on a cupra.

You'd probably have to change the inlet manifold to an ibiza/TT225/LCR one, which would mean extending the throttle body wiring (if yours is DBW) and you'd probably have to move the MAP sensor (the MAP sensor is usually after the intercooler). You could perhaps bring the piping back under the cupra inlet manifold, but you'd have lots of piping and lots of tight bends, and a lot of work.

TristanLeon20VT

Sep 30, 2005
The Netherlands
DSC05312.JPG

DSC05310.JPG

DSC05309.JPG

This is the LCR SMIC-kit

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Both side mounts moved up-front with a funky body kit surrounding them - arrrrggggghhhhhh!:blink:

youve already done this mod?;)

is there anyway of knowing the benifits? compared to a fmic?

id be worried that the extra pipes and bends needed to install it would ruin any gains. i recently had to upgrade my fmic as it wasnt free flowing enough. cooling is only half the story

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
just sort a front mount, the 2 intecoole set-up is more restrictive, thats why LCR owners upgrade to FMIC's

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
"restrictive", hmmm :think: I think there is about .3 bar difference in pressure drop between the stock LCR intercoolers and a good FMIC on an LCR, but what difference there would be on a Leon Cupra is anyone's guess...

In the pictures Tristan's posted, there's a part missing - a hard plastic pipe that runs across the front of the battery, the one with the MAP sensor boss in it.

Thinking about it, if the 1st intercooler is the same as the Cupra's, aren't the inlet and the outlet the opposite way round? i.e. the LCR's has the inlet at the top and the outlet at the bottom, isn't the Cupra's inlet at the bottom and outlet at the top?

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Awesome were selling a kit agaes ago for teh golf to turn it into a dual mount. Maybe trying to find some pics of that will help see hwta you need to do?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members