nightflight

DPF Info - All CR-TDI Owners Should Read This

lucylou78

Sep 7, 2015
I'm at my local Seat dealer at the moment waiting for them to do my Leon's first service.

There are a lot of Seat suits here and I am earwigging all of the conversations they are having around the coffee machine. :lol:

Anyway it seems that the manager here has a customer with a 1.6 TDI CR with ongoing DPF/regen problems. One of the suits here is in the technical department and I overheard that they have currently got 1500 1.6 CR cars regestered with DPF/regen problems in the UK :(

Not good :no:
Wow.. thats a lot and not even the true figure I bet.. I was thinking about writing to seat uk to complain about the many issues ive had but see that it will only be blamed on my towny driving.. Seat, u should put something in place to sort this out for ur car owners !!.. this is causing so many problems for us :eek:

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

craigr73

Apr 11, 2014
Beverley
as i understand it is illegal to have the dpf removed. I have just accepted that i have to go for drives to clear it.

lucylou78

Sep 7, 2015
as i understand it is illegal to have the dpf removed. I have just accepted that i have to go for drives to clear it.
Thanks.. I don't understand how it can be illegal if there are companies offering the service.. that just confuses everyone! That sinspeed company makes it sound as if having it removed is the best decision you could ever make lol.. anyhoo got my car back today. Blasted it to the main city on our dual carriageway here and fingers crossed for no more lights or credit card payments to the garage !

craigr73

Apr 11, 2014
Beverley
I dont think it illegal for them to do the work. But it is to drive the car & as of 2014 is an MOT fail. Is a shame as i would have mine taken out in a heart beat

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
all the folks having DPF issues have you tried using premium diesel, eg BP Ultimate?

I've now done 30K in mine with zero dpf issues *touch wood*
Anytime I fill up with premium diesel it doesnt dpf regen as often as well as seeing an 8-10% increase in mpg.

craigr73

Apr 11, 2014
Beverley
Yeah I have tried a few tanks but not made any difference. May give it another go. I do always make sure i use shell, bp ... etc .. and never use supermarket fuel

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I dont think it illegal for them to do the work. But it is to drive the car & as of 2014 is an MOT fail. Is a shame as i would have mine taken out in a heart beat

From Feb 2014 there is a VISUAL inspection of the exhaust system to check if the DPF is still fitted to the car.
If that DPF box is still fitted ( even though it could now be empty ) and the car passes the soot test - the car will pass the MOT.

craigr73

Apr 11, 2014
Beverley
Yeah. I may look into it in September when the warranty is up. Would be nice if I can get the garage that does the work to also do the mot.

Fingers crossed.

lucylou78

Sep 7, 2015
Guys.. There is a 1.4 petrol ibiza. Same colour as mine in a local garage. 2 years younger too. . Is it worth swapping from diesel to petrol do u think? .. whats anyone's views ??? Ta :)

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Guys.. There is a 1.4 petrol ibiza. Same colour as mine in a local garage. 2 years younger too. . Is it worth swapping from diesel to petrol do u think? .. whats anyone's views ??? Ta :)

I guess only you can answer that based on your car use.

If most of your use is short trips or stop start commuting - the petrol may be the way to go.

If you do a mix of driving - you need to work out if the lower mpg of the petrol is affordable.

The road tax will be higher too

pedja

Sep 21, 2015
Hi everyone,
I found this forum searching for DPF solutions... And I learned a lot.
I drive 1.6 TDI Golf for 2 years now, and not long ago I noticed high oil level on it. When I asked dealership about it they wouldn't tell me a thing, they just changed the oil. Now it's much more clear why it is happening.
The other day I noticed that the engine is on 1000 rpm at idle, so I drove the car on higher rpm's to complete the regeneration. However, the road was uphill then downhill, and so on. On uphills I kept the revs above 2000, and on downhills I put the car in neutral so the revs are at 1000. After about 15-20 minutes driving like that, I noticed that the idle revs while driving were down to 950 rpm, when I stopped they went down to normal 780 rpm.
So, is it possible that i managed to combine passive and active regeneration?

richdot

Mar 5, 2015
Probably wasting my time posting this but I have a strange DPF issue and its getting to the point its giving me that much head ache im thinking of just getting someone to knock it through and map it out...

Basically the car like goes into a forced regen mode no lights come on the dash no nothing revs raise to 1k or just very slightly under, exhaust at the back is hot and smells, engine gets warm. Now when this is happening I got the car forced regen it stops for about a month or two then causers problems again, When the car is forced regen from the laptop the glow plug light comes up and flashes as it should and the process is complete, when its not plugged in process is completely different.

Any ideas ?

oh ive had the dpf pressure sensor replaced and calibrated so i know its not that.

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Probably wasting my time posting this but I have a strange DPF issue and its getting to the point its giving me that much head ache im thinking of just getting someone to knock it through and map it out...

Basically the car like goes into a forced regen mode no lights come on the dash no nothing revs raise to 1k or just very slightly under, exhaust at the back is hot and smells, engine gets warm. Now when this is happening I got the car forced regen it stops for about a month or two then causers problems again, When the car is forced regen from the laptop the glow plug light comes up and flashes as it should and the process is complete, when its not plugged in process is completely different.

Any ideas ?

oh ive had the dpf pressure sensor replaced and calibrated so i know its not that.

I am struggling to see a problem or why you are trying to fix what isn't broke.

There are a few types of regen.

1. Passive regen - when the engine is up to temp and you are driving on a motorway or similar so the system can regen ( no lights on dash or any warning this is occurring )

2. Active regen - the ecu triggers a regen when the soot load reaches a set figure. The exhaust smells of burnt rubber and the idle revs rise to about 1k ( no lights on dash or any warning of this occurring ( other than the raised revs at idle ))

3. Forced regen - dpf dash light comes on because you have not allowed x amount of regens to complete and the soot level is getting high now )

4. Dealer ( or vcds ) forced regen - flashing glow plug light and dpf light on - soot loading too high for normal or active regen so the regen has to be forced by the dealer or vcds computer interaction.

richdot

Mar 5, 2015
I am struggling to see a problem or why you are trying to fix what isn't broke.

There are a few types of regen.

1. Passive regen - when the engine is up to temp and you are driving on a motorway or similar so the system can regen ( no lights on dash or any warning this is occurring )

2. Active regen - the ecu triggers a regen when the soot load reaches a set figure. The exhaust smells of burnt rubber and the idle revs rise to about 1k ( no lights on dash or any warning of this occurring ( other than the raised revs at idle ))

3. Forced regen - dpf dash light comes on because you have not allowed x amount of regens to complete and the soot level is getting high now )

4. Dealer ( or vcds ) forced regen - flashing glow plug light and dpf light on - soot loading too high for normal or active regen so the regen has to be forced by the dealer or vcds computer interaction.

Thanks for the reply deano, Ok well sounds like mine gets stuck on Active regen then, because sometimes it will do it for 30 mins go back to normal and then start again doesnt sound right...

Not only that when its doing this active regen I get a funny noise when the revs drop or on the odd time when climbing the revs... sounds like gasses a snorkle or something.

Car is a Seat Exeo 2.0 TDI CR CAGA engine

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Thanks for the reply deano, Ok well sounds like mine gets stuck on Active regen then, because sometimes it will do it for 30 mins go back to normal and then start again doesnt sound right...

Not only that when its doing this active regen I get a funny noise when the revs drop or on the odd time when climbing the revs... sounds like gasses a snorkle or something.

Car is a Seat Exeo 2.0 TDI CR CAGA engine

When it gets to this regen stage - are you sitting waiting for it to finish or do you take it for a drive ?

Ideally you should take it for a drive to speed up the regen process.

Steady speed ( above 40mph ) with revs around 2000 to 2400 for around 15 mins.

The old "Italian tune-up, hoofing it around or giving it beans" does not work with a dpf - you just fill it with more soot.

richdot

Mar 5, 2015
When it gets to this regen stage - are you sitting waiting for it to finish or do you take it for a drive ?

Ideally you should take it for a drive to speed up the regen process.

Steady speed ( above 40mph ) with revs around 2000 to 2400 for around 15 mins.

The old "Italian tune-up, hoofing it around or giving it beans" does not work with a dpf - you just fill it with more soot.

If it happens when my misses has the car she will just turn it off... Ill take it for a drive until its finished, so even though it does it quite often and sounds quite rough when revving it like a gassy snorkle sound, would suggest that its normal process?

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
If it happens when my misses has the car she will just turn it off... Ill take it for a drive until its finished, so even though it does it quite often and sounds quite rough when revving it like a gassy snorkle sound, would suggest that its normal process?

Mine is a 184 MK3 Leon and the only signs I get of a regen happening are the raised idle speed - the smell - and a slight reduction in willingness to rev when driving.

Last edited:

richdot

Mar 5, 2015
Mine is a 184 MK3 Leon and the only signs I get of a regen happening are the raised idle speed - the smell - and a slight reduction in willingness to rev when driving.

Doesnt sound like theres much wrong with mine then just happens often every 2-3 months it will happen. I use diesel v power shell, put some cleaner in the fuel every 3 months also, gets decent runs... still having problems pffff lol

Last edited: