drive shaft gaiter replacement help please

payney24

hi,

i've got a 2001 leon cupra and the near side/outside drive shaft gaiter has split and needs replacing for an upcoming mot. has anyone got any info about how to do this as any help would be great, thanks.

paulrushton

Apr 5, 2009
It's not particularly for beginers and could do with a windy gun to remove certain parts of it. You can get the cv boot kits that you glue but they never seem to last long.

payney24

i've recently just replaced my sub frame and stripped and replaced all the interior to repair some damage to the passenger side front foot well. is this task allong the same level of difficulty? i can borrow a compressor and buzz gun if needs be off a friend. do you know if there is a guide on hear i could follow? i've looked and cant find one, but maybe i'm looking in the wrong place.

payney24

cheers james for the link, the guide is really good, i think i may try tackling it at the weekend.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
no probs. messy job though matey.

purchase a oe replacement as the gaitors on aftermarket cv joints are often hard rubber and a bastid to get onto the joint

not an easy job like, i did both mine and it was a real maeesy job due to the grease.

payney24

has anyone got any idea how to tighten the retaining clips? i've managed to do everything else but am having trouble tightening the clips, i've not got the proper tool and am struggling to get them tight. i've looked to see if i can get hold of the proper tool but not had much luck there either. any help would be apriecated. thanks.

black04ctdi

Just a quick note and thanks to DPJ for the guide, had to replace my outer CV joint boot and it really helped! Getting the joint off the shaft required a hell of a lot of 'persuasion', hitting the inner race!
While trying to refit it to the car however we encounter issues, seems the inner joint had detached itself from the shaft. Great fun..... Took it all apart, cleaned and then became very frustrated with the 'chinese puzzle' of fitting it back together! I've just found this guide which I thought might be useful for people doing the same - we're going to try it out tonight. Seems we hadn't realised the 'important part' in step 4 of the guide!
http://www.relitech.com/cvjoints.htm