Drivers doorlock not working since freezing temperature!

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
hi there

well on thursday it was a cold night, so in the morning went to the car to go to uni, and the key wouldn't go in the doorlock,
so went and got hot water (not boiling, just hot water out of the tap with some cold added) and poured it over the door handle, and key went in after a little push,
so everything was ok, windows wouldn't go down until i heated the whole car up,
when i parked up, i went to lock the door, and it just turns left and right, with no resistance, and won't lock? won't even do nothing?
luckily the passenger side door locks both locks! what could this be? it opened the locks like about 10mins before it messed up?

btw it was FREEZING! it said -3degrees on the trip computer!

thank you

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
good reminder to spray grease in ya door locks when servicing then :p especially after jetwashing it

i usually get grease all over the clean car when i forget to :(

anything rattling in the bottom of the door ?

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
it is a bit on the nippy round the west mids at the mo....

out of the 6 ibiza's ive owned they have all done this....like you say a bit of warm water normally sorts it right out.

Last edited:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
flapper: yep definitely mate lol! and there is nothing rattling?

orangemuffin: its never happened to me (i've owned a corsa and 2 astra's before this, they have different locks/handles)

trucido: oh really? i will have a look at it tomorrow
so do i have to take off the door card to get to the handle? (i haven't really looked :redface: lol)

thanks guys! always helpful as per usual!

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
nooo I mean the external handle! if you open the door and look on the edge of the door near the handle you'll see a torq screw (might have a rubber grommit over it can't remember!)

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
ohhhh i get you now lol!
thanks will try it tomorrow when waiting for the stupid idiot fixes our broken boiler (no heating :()

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
no rattling could at least be a good sign the paddle hasn't broken off :):)

as trucido says pop the grommet level with handle inside and undo the allen bolt to pop handle out and check it all over

just don't unclip anything lock/paddle wise without the key in it :)

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
When the paddle came off mine it must have escaped down the drain holes!

Its only a couple of quid from the dealers for the paddle (if needed), similar price for rest of parts.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
hi people, i found out what happened, thanks for the info to get off the handle!
basically there is a paddle shaped shaft (in the shape of a paddle from a boat) that is attached to where the keyhole is (on the back of it) it had snapped off!
like you said robreidmotors, i've never seen nothing like it, so i put it on the end of some pliers and put in the hole and turned, and the central locking locked the doors!
so i guess i'll be off to a dealer on monday!
thanks again!

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
ohhhh excellent idea trucido lol
do the locks just go on the other side, or do i just have to take the paddle off?

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
oh ok, thanks also rob!
so i guess the breaking of these paddles are another crap design (like clutch pedal) to add to my list of things to look out for lol

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
you shouldn't really be able to break them when putting them in, its when there under strain i.e. turning the key. You could take the peddle off or just swap the whole thing over

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise