e-Hybrid Charging

dts0205

Feb 11, 2021
I've had my FR E-Hybrid since January, and am just looking into charging it away from home.

I cannot find anything in the book or on the car that says the max charging current it can take. With it not having the type 2 cable included, I need to find charging stations with the cable already installed (or pay £150 for a cable)
If I use a rapid charger (as they usually have the cables included) which is 44kw, do I risk damaging the car?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I don't believe it's possible to rapid charge this hybrid. The car will only draw the 3.6kW it is capable of, no matter what size the charger, hence always taking 4 hours to charge from empty.

dts0205

Feb 11, 2021
I don't believe it's possible to rapid charge this hybrid. The car will only draw the 3.6kW it is capable of, no matter what size the charger, hence always taking 4 hours to charge from empty.
Thanks for that, so you can plug in as strong a charger as you like but it'll only take what it needs? Good to know I won't blow it up

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
DC chargers use a different socket/plug, apart from Tesla and you wouldn't be able to use theirs anyway.

SEALen1

Apr 18, 2021
Sweden
When charging from a AC source the actual charger is in the car (this applies to most if not all EV). The SEAT eHybrid can only charge from a AC source at a maximum of 16A@230Volt (3,6 kWh). It cannot charge from a DC charger. There are very few PHEVs that can speed charge on DC.

The charge box that many people wrongly think is the charger is just a safety and control box. If you are interested in it's function google "EVSE".

I wonder why you didn't get a cable along with the car?
I got a "Type 2" to "Type 2" cable and a "Type 2" to "Schuko" (EVSE box on the cord) with my SEAT Leon ST eHybrid. I am from Sweden though so this might be a regional difference but ask your dealer, they might just have forgotten to include it at delivery maybe?

Jun 16, 2021
I am awaiting delivery on Thursday of my Xcellence eHybrid and wanted to check I understood this correctly :

From the latest brochure, as standard you receive "Charging cable (Mode 2) (e-HYBRID only) 10 amp" which corresponds to a 5 hour 48 min charge time on 2.3kw.

However if you buy the optional "Charging cable (Mode 3) (e-HYBRID only) 16 amp" this would allow you to charge at the maximum rate (provided you have a wallbox/charger that allows it) in 3 hours 42 min at 3.6kw.

As per the above, and this link , I understand that the standard mode 2 is actually for a household socket and if I can only connect to a charger (in my car parks at flat/work) I will need to buy a Mode 3 (type 2) charger?

Chemical Matt

Dec 16, 2020
I am awaiting delivery on Thursday of my Xcellence eHybrid and wanted to check I understood this correctly :

From the latest brochure, as standard you receive "Charging cable (Mode 2) (e-HYBRID only) 10 amp" which corresponds to a 5 hour 48 min charge time on 2.3kw.

However if you buy the optional "Charging cable (Mode 3) (e-HYBRID only) 16 amp" this would allow you to charge at the maximum rate (provided you have a wallbox/charger that allows it) in 3 hours 42 min at 3.6kw.

As per the above, and this link , I understand that the standard mode 2 is actually for a household socket and if I can only connect to a charger (in my car parks at flat/work) I will need to buy a Mode 3 (type 2) charger?
That's right. I've had the Xcellence eHybrid estate since March and mine came only with a type 2 granny cable (UK household plug). It's not particularly long and as I didn't have an external socket I had to use it with an extension lead (13A). I have purchased a separate type 2 cable for charging away from home.

The granny cable worked OK but it wasn't convenient so I had a podpoint ev charger fitted at home to charge it with. Work was paying so although it can only charge at 3.6KW I got the 7.2KW version for a little bit of future proofing. I got the 7.5M tethered cable version to save keep getting the cable out of my boot. Cost was high though because after months of waiting for the car to appear on the governments list of cars approved for the £350 grant it has never appeared Click here. Also the fitting wasn't straight forward as I had a looped electricity supply with my neighbour but that's a whole other story.

The car can only charge at 3.6KW so even on the EV charger it is only slightly quicker. Doesn't matter much if you mainly charge overnight but not quick enough for a meaningful charge when stopped at the services for a quick break for example.

Jun 16, 2021
That's right. I've had the Xcellence eHybrid estate since March and mine came only with a type 2 granny cable (UK household plug). It's not particularly long and as I didn't have an external socket I had to use it with an extension lead (13A). I have purchased a separate type 2 cable for charging away from home.

The granny cable worked OK but it wasn't convenient so I had a podpoint ev charger fitted at home to charge it with. Work was paying so although it can only charge at 3.6KW I got the 7.2KW version for a little bit of future proofing. I got the 7.5M tethered cable version to save keep getting the cable out of my boot. Cost was high though because after months of waiting for the car to appear on the governments list of cars approved for the £350 grant it has never appeared Click here. Also the fitting wasn't straight forward as I had a looped electricity supply with my neighbour but that's a whole other story.

The car can only charge at 3.6KW so even on the EV charger it is only slightly quicker. Doesn't matter much if you mainly charge overnight but not quick enough for a meaningful charge when stopped at the services for a quick break for example.
Perfect thank you.

Yes I'll need to fork up c£120 for a type 2 to type 2 then. Luckily I should be able to charge nightly in my flat's car park and even the office car park whenever we return so it should be worth it.

Cheers!

Aug 4, 2021
Hi, I want to buy a charging cable outside the home, but I see some that say three-phase or single-phase, which one should I buy? I want to buy with the same features as the original. Thanks

Chemical Matt

Dec 16, 2020
Hi, I want to buy a charging cable outside the home, but I see some that say three-phase or single-phase, which one should I buy? I want to buy with the same features as the original. Thanks
The eHybrid charges at 3.6KW so a type 2 16amp single phase cable is the one you want.

I bought a 32amp cable for mine as the price difference was small and I can still use it another car if I change this one.

romster1

Nov 26, 2016
W London
interesting, was looking to buy one pf these and have a on street charging point opposite my house which apparently works at7 and 22 kW so from what you're saying it will only charge at 3.6 regardless I read somewhere that the 1.4E hybrid has a 128 kw battery, is that correct and f so will it definitely fully charge in 4 hours? If so i could live with that. the person at Source London who own the charging points opposite my house mentioned24 hours to charge which would make it a no no for me, though he wasn't sure.

brandaopj

Jul 2, 2021
Portugal
The capacity of the battery is 12.8KW but in reality you can only charge 10KW. The other 3 are reserved to use in hybrid mode even when you have 0% battery.
According to Seat, a full charge takes around three hours and 42 minutes using a 3.6kW charging point or wall box unit - as long as if you specified the optional Mode 3 charging cable.
The car can also be recharged using the mains power supply at home, though Seat says it will take five hours and 48 minutes to fully recharge via a three-pin plug socket.

romster1

Nov 26, 2016
W London
The capacity of the battery is 12.8KW but in reality you can only charge 10KW. The other 3 are reserved to use in hybrid mode even when you have 0% battery.
According to Seat, a full charge takes around three hours and 42 minutes using a 3.6kW charging point or wall box unit - as long as if you specified the optional Mode 3 charging cable.
The car can also be recharged using the mains power supply at home, though Seat says it will take five hours and 48 minutes to fully recharge via a three-pin plug socket.
thanks for your detailed reply the dealer still hasn't been able to confirm any of this so cheers, much appreciated

Reactions: brandaopj

romster1

Nov 26, 2016
W London
the FR comes with a type 2 and type 3 cable

brandaopj

Jul 2, 2021
Portugal
Mode 3 its different from cable type.

The cable used in mode 3 is a type 2 cable.

Attachments

• 2021-09-04 00_24_17-EV Charging Modes _ Deltrix Chargers.png
    2021-09-04 00_24_17-EV Charging Modes _ Deltrix Chargers.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 289
Reactions: romster1

romster1

Nov 26, 2016
W London
ah ok well ive got no idea i asked them about the cable type no modes, totally confused now but i know I'll beable to usethe on street charging point opposite my house at 7 Kw and tat should charge it up to 80% in approximately 4 hours so that should be fine.

izometric

Feb 19, 2021

I can charge 13kW from 1%. So for me all 12.8 kW are available.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members