eBay cable and software?

shutcorea

Nov 22, 2011
Mexico
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271352459535

Anyone had any experience with these? Being a bit new to all this I'm unaware if this will do the sort of things mentioned on the forum such as the needle sweep, mirror drop etc etc... Seems very cheap to me?

Would like your thoughts good or bad!

That's the fake one, I have exactly the same cable and it works, Buy it! you can do all sorts of things with that piece of software and hardware.

For instance, I just enabled a carbon fiber background on the color display, a Lap timer, needle sweep, kerb function on the passenger mirror, rain closing function and a hidden option where the car tells you how many liters (or gallons) you are missing to have a full tank of gas!

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Fake?!? As in a cheap copy but it works sorta thing?

Is there things it won't do?

Last edited:

shutcorea

Nov 22, 2011
Mexico
Fake?!? As in a cheap copy but it works sorta thing?

Is there things it won't do?

yep, fake as in unlicenced copy of an original Ross-Tech vagcom cable, it does everything but if you update the software (12.12.0) lets say....when they release the 12.12.1 version, your cable will be fried....it won't work anymore. Not with the original software it came with, not with another computer.

Other than that.....you can do everything a genuine cable can do. It's worth it since they're very cheap.

Cheers.

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
yep, fake as in unlicenced copy of an original Ross-Tech vagcom cable, it does everything but if you update the software (12.12.0) lets say....when they release the 12.12.1 version, your cable will be fried....it won't work anymore. Not with the original software it came with, not with another computer.

Other than that.....you can do everything a genuine cable can do. It's worth it since they're very cheap.

Cheers.

How often is it updated? What does the update usually add? More compatability or extra goodies?

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
@shutcorea if it does all that and its cheap enough it'll do for me, read your other post earlier with the pics :)

Can someone repost the initial eBay link or a link to similar if item has expired? current url takes me nowhere.

TIA

A Merry Christmas to everyone when I'm here. No excited Xmas syndrome, just couldn't sleep for the storms and the worry if my emergency bike cable lock would hold out. All the hardware burst off last night. yo! ho! ho!

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Firstly merry Xmas to you also Andy and all fellow Leonardo's!!

I had a quick look for an updated link but I can no longer find it, I'm thinking that eBay may have removed the listing? Dam my indecisiveness!!

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Ah well it wasnt meant to be.

Btw reading back it was the back gates I was on about with regards to the high winds.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

JsyCuPrA

Jun 16, 2003
Oxfordshire
Visit site
@shutcorea if it does all that and its cheap enough it'll do for me, read your other post earlier with the pics :)

Can someone repost the initial eBay link or a link to similar if item has expired? current url takes me nowhere.

TIA

A Merry Christmas to everyone when I'm here. No excited Xmas syndrome, just couldn't sleep for the storms and the worry if my emergency bike cable lock would hold out. All the hardware burst off last night. yo! ho! ho!

Try this mate, Happy Christmas

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271354790908#ht_484wt_959

Mine should be here Friday/Saturday:D

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Cheers Jsy, in no rush so I could hold out for the China.

Rocpus you got a £12 link :)

Enjoy!
This is the one I ordered, they arrive in decent time considering. Mine was 12.12 and I used it yesterday to switch on alarm chirp, ability to turn off DRL's, activate chequered wallpaper in DIS etc etc.
The important thing is to use it on a computer without an internet connection.
My advice, use it in a virtual machine (like the free Virtual Box from Oracle) that way it's not installed on your host OS but a siloed one where you can disable internet connectivity. The reason for this is VCDS will call home and flash your cable rendering it unusable. I accidentally did this with my previous cable, but at £12 bought a new one upon changing to the Mk3.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

shutcorea

Nov 22, 2011
Mexico

TIA

Yup! It does everything you saw hehe

Rules of thumb. Use it with every connection off. Wired or wireless.
Set the app to "do not update".
Modify the hosts file on your PC so it won't auto update regardless of the setting you put on the app.

Read...read a lot so you can find new tweeks! Hehehe

Cheers!!

ac2013

Sep 1, 2013
I am also using a cheap cable which appears to do everything other than the security access.

I get an error message stating it is an unregistered version and therefore can't do security access.

This is a shame as most of the setting changes require security access to make adaptions.

I have enable needle sweep and seatbelt chime delete but cannot do the horn confirmation it due to the security access issues.

I fins it interesting that others are using cheaper cables that seem to be fully unlocked.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Enjoy!
This is the one I ordered, they arrive in decent time considering. Mine was 12.12 and I used it yesterday to switch on alarm chirp, ability to turn off DRL's, activate chequered wallpaper in DIS etc etc.
The important thing is to use it on a computer without an internet connection.
My advice, use it in a virtual machine (like the free Virtual Box from Oracle) that way it's not installed on your host OS but a siloed one where you can disable internet connectivity. The reason for this is VCDS will call home and flash your cable rendering it unusable. I accidentally did this with my previous cable, but at £12 bought a new one upon changing to the Mk3.

Merry Christmas!

Thank you. I have just ordered from he same place. Looking to recalibrate my trip consumption and mute the sound actuator in sport mode.

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Anyone willing to lend me a cable and software so I can programme mine?
We used to share them about when I was on a vw forum.
Normal rate was £5 plus 2 way postage cost.

It just meant that other users got a chance to do quick jobs, and the lender ended up getting his cable paid for by renting it out!

Just a thought,

trekmeister

Dec 21, 2013
Anyone willing to lend me a cable and software so I can programme mine?
We used to share them about when I was on a vw forum.
Normal rate was £5 plus 2 way postage cost.

It just meant that other users got a chance to do quick jobs, and the lender ended up getting his cable paid for by renting it out!

Just a thought,

Nobody in the local area with genuine cable you can nip over to, might get a better response?