Ebay exhaust manifolds: Anyone using them??

Mikey-S

Ok, I'm probably going to end up biting the bullet and buying a GT28RS for my 1.8T, my question is this; is there anyone using ebay 20vt / T25 manifolds with good results? I know people will add comments like 'they will crack' or 'bits will come off them and damage the turbo' etc etc, but I'm really looking for people who are actually using them, as opposed to people who 'have heard' they are sh*te.

Just a quick example of what I mean, XS Power 2.7 tubular manifolds can't be all that bad because one of the guys at MRC tuning is using them on his own car, they have been on for some time and he hasn't had any problems, and he's getting good power.

All advice is much appreciated. :)

jamiebennett81

I dont use one and never have, so cant talk "directly" from experience

but you have to ask yourself a few things.

Why is it so cheap?

What is the customer aftercare or returns like if it does crack within X amount of time?

why dont well known tuners i.e. Badger5 stock or sell these units?

I always live by the motto when modifying my car now (I learnt the hard way with wasting £££ on a badly made turbo kit) that "buy cheap, buy twice"

Sure, a manifold may be more expensive from a well known tuner, but its typically for a number of reasons, quality of product and aftercare being the most two important factors

Not only this, but if not many people buy the said manifold off ebay, that for me is a clear tell tale sign to steer clear. Not that we should all be lemmings and buy a part from a well know tuner, but again, we do this for the reasons stated above.

Ebay is good, but to be taken with a very large pinch of salt when buying such parts

Also for the sake of a few hundred quid, would you not rather have a manifold which you know for certain is not going to crack, break off or damage the turbo?

I never understand why people spend so much on a nice turbo kit, installing, mapping etc only to skimp on critical parts:blink:.....

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
buy cheap but twice

chinese pos manifolds are not regarded as reliable.. shiney often, reliable, not so often

whats your budget for doing this project?

INA

Garrett Super STAR!
Dec 8, 2007
www.inaengineering.com
why dont well known tuners i.e. Badger5 stock or sell these units?.
Can not speak for Badger5 but I can speak for others and others DID stock these before the market blew right open. ;)
Just a quick example of what I mean, XS Power 2.7 tubular manifolds can't be all that bad because one of the guys at MRC tuning is using them on his own car, they have been on for some time and he hasn't had any problems, and he's getting good power.

All advice is much appreciated. :)
I highly doubt that...
Had a local customer try the same XS power 2.7 tubular manifolds

(I assume you mean these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories)

And less than 3 weeks later he was in for a set of custom manifolds. FWIW to CNC those 2 flanges alone is about $100 USD a pop if it is from true SS so saying "ye we are using them with 0 issues" is bs IMHO and I would not post that if I did not have first hand experience.This is one we did for a customer....notice the quality of the flange:

main.php

my favourite part with reading these bullshit adds is the following:

"*** Lifetime warranty from manufacturer defects "

Let me translate that for you : "we will warranty our manifold against defects caused by US not by YOU".

In other words a crack on the manifold is not a manufacturer defect but a USER defect. YOU caused the crack.

I have used these manifolds before:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/a4-v...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-A...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

And they have all been O.K.
Not exactly superb in quality but not horrible either.You can tell the chinese castings from the Brazilian/Mexico and Argentinian castings and it is like chalk and cheese.

Mikey-S

buy cheap but twice

chinese pos manifolds are not regarded as reliable.. shiney often, reliable, not so often

whats your budget for doing this project?

My budget, well as little as possible. That's why I'm asking about these manifolds because if they do the job then I don't see why I should pay four times as much for 'quality brand' of manifold. But if I get nothing but bad feedback from this thread then I'll give them a massive swerve.

Issam, you say you "highly doubt" what I said about the biturbo manifolds.. well it's fact. I know MRC do sell quality tuning parts, and are highly rated tuners, but I think it's Chris (could be wrong) who has them fitted. I sent him a PM a long time ago and he said he has had no issues whatsoever with them.

jamiebennett81

My budget, well as little as possible

no offense but thats your first mistake their mate

installing a BT kit should and never be done on a budget

by all means try it, but expect massive issues and reliability problems if "budget" is the main aim of the exercise instead of having a working car

budget for at least 4k

Mikey-S

Budget isn't the main aim of the excercise... Mate. But at the same time I don't see why I should needlessly throw money away. This WILL end up being a relaible install, that's why I'm doing my homework......

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
MRC list £1800 manifolds on their website for punters... so for their own cars they use look-a-likes from China for $250?

Buy one, just to look at.... they're crap.

jamiebennett81

Budget isn't the main aim of the excercise... Mate. But at the same time I don't see why I should needlessly throw money away. This WILL end up being a relaible install, that's why I'm doing my homework......

you never "needlessly" throw away money at a BT kit if you go with a quality and well respected tuner

BT kits are expensive for a reason (so long as the installer or mapper knows their stuff) as it costs a lot to get high quality parts to ensure complete reliability

yep do your homework and if anything, your homework will tell you that BT kits are not to be done on a budget and either you are all in.....or out

Jun 1, 2007
no offense but thats your first mistake their mate

installing a BT kit should and never be done on a budget

by all means try it, but expect massive issues and reliability problems if "budget" is the main aim of the exercise instead of having a working car

budget for at least 4k

id say min 4k

if your on a budget id go hybrid route

jamiebennett81

id say min 4k

if your on a budget id go hybrid route

sorry, I meant 4k, but thats without supporting mods like FMIC, TB exhaust etc

4k would be the absolute minimal for a BT kit if getting installed by a tuner. Could do it a little less if you are doing it yourself, but the custom remap will always be costly

Mikey-S

Buying a £600 manifold when a £300 one will do exactly the same job is throwing money away. If the £300 manifold won't do the job then I simply won't buy it!

So, back to my original question, has anyone used these manifolds without any major issues? :confused:

BTW, if I had to put a figure on the engine it would be approx £3000 max, but that'll be without labour as I'll be doing all the mech work myself.

jamiebennett81

Buying a £600 manifold when a £300 one will do exactly the same job is throwing money away. If the £300 manifold won't do the job then I simply won't buy it!

So, back to my original question, has anyone used these manifolds without any major issues? :confused:

BTW, if I had to put a figure on the engine it would be approx £3000 max, but that'll be without labour as I'll be doing all the mech work myself.

Good luck then..... :rolleyes:

Mikey-S

Good luck then..... :rolleyes:

Good luck with what, the manifold or the budget?? Just one question, have you ever owned and run one of these manifolds? I guess not, and that's the whole point of the thread, to get views from people who are actually using them, so please no more comments from people who don't know first hand. As for doing things without having a spare blank cheque to hand, well I'm fine with that because it can be done. My last project was my 465bhp (MRC custom map) Audi S4, which was done on a budget and cost me a damn site less than other people have paid to get worse results. ;)

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
fella, just browse vwvortex and searchy ebay manifolds such as you describe, and make your own mind up

you asked and have received some advise

good luck with your project, but a few pennies well spent up front on proven good parts may well save you a lot of angst further down the line. given you are spannering yourself which will save you a lot, then try one of these and report back how its gone. its only your time your wasting, and will be your choice as to risk it or not

Mikey-S

fella, just browse vwvortex and searchy ebay manifolds such as you describe, and make your own mind up

you asked and have received some advise

good luck with your project, but a few pennies well spent up front on proven good parts may well save you a lot of angst further down the line. given you are spannering yourself which will save you a lot, then try one of these and report back how its gone. its only your time your wasting, and will be your choice as to risk it or not

Don't get me wrong, I really do appreciated good advice, especially from the likes of yourself because you obviously know your stuff, I just didn't want to hear from people who have jumped on the bandwagon without having first hand experience.

I've done a few searches but can't seem to find any hard evidence that these manifolds are ok. I'll search a bit more, on Vortex, if I can't find anything then I'll just buy a better manifold. I wasn't looking for an argument, just advice! Thanks. :)

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
there is an audi tt i race with and he's used an ebay manifold, i dont know the make tho, and they bought it considering it was disposable.. given its price. it held for the 1st season, but car has'nt raced much in 2009, but i believe its still on there.

i think luck is a factor in this.. roll some dice maybe?

INA

Garrett Super STAR!
Dec 8, 2007
www.inaengineering.com
Issam, you say you "highly doubt" what I said about the biturbo manifolds.. well it's fact. I know MRC do sell quality tuning parts, and are highly rated tuners, but I think it's Chris (could be wrong) who has them fitted. I sent him a PM a long time ago and he said he has had no issues whatsoever with them.
Mate
not doubting you at all...I am just doubting that they have been using THOSE ssautochrome ebay manifolds without issues.
That goes against what I have PERSONALLY encountered as well as countless other tuners that are plagued with walk in's from customers who get hitched with the whole "turbo your 1.8T for $500"

They end up spending triple the money that they did to start with.

Again, if MRC is using an ebay SS autocrome manifold then good luck for them but do not be caughtup in that hype.Those manifolds are complete garbage....

Just one question, have you ever owned and run one of these manifolds? I guess not,
Yes...a few of my customers here have only to be in for a complete rework.
If I was a bitch I would tell you "yes sure mate go for it" because the labour rate to install any turbo kit is going to be the same. When your manifold cracks and you are in the shop crying , well guess what, your crying is not going to put bread on any tech's table so when that manifold has to come off to put on a proper one you are going to pay that labour AGAIN.
If thats what you want to do then go right ahead.

Stay away from SSautocrap

read what I have posted above with respect to the cast units.

Mikey-S

Mate
not doubting you at all...I am just doubting that they have been using THOSE ssautochrome ebay manifolds without issues.
That goes against what I have PERSONALLY encountered as well as countless other tuners that are plagued with walk in's from customers who get hitched with the whole "turbo your 1.8T for $500"

They end up spending triple the money that they did to start with.

Again, if MRC is using an ebay SS autocrome manifold then good luck for them but do not be caughtup in that hype.Those manifolds are complete garbage....

Yes...a few of my customers here have only to be in for a complete rework.
If I was a bitch I would tell you "yes sure mate go for it" because the labour rate to install any turbo kit is going to be the same. When your manifold cracks and you are in the shop crying , well guess what, your crying is not going to put bread on any tech's table so when that manifold has to come off to put on a proper one you are going to pay that labour AGAIN.
If thats what you want to do then go right ahead.

Stay away from SSautocrap

read what I have posted above with respect to the cast units.

Lets get this straight, MRC are not using cheap manifolds. They sell there own very high quality manifolds and I reckon they wouldn't dream of fitting thosed cheapies to a customers car, however one of their technicians is using them on his own car. Maybe he just wanted to experiment?? Anyway, I had another look on AudiSRS.com and read a bit more, apparently the collectors were modified so they are not straight off the shelf

Issam, that comment asking if you had any first hand experience wasn't directed at you.

Anyway, done some more research and found this: http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=3636930 I just need to decide on one now! :(

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.