ect sensor on lcr?

kitey2186

hi would somebody be able to tell me where the ect sensor on a o4plate lcr is?
cheers

mark smith

"take it or leave it !"
Oct 28, 2007
westbury !
remove the engine cover, look down the gearbox side of the engine, you should spot the sensor fitted into a plastic housing on the coolant hose. 4 pin connector, sensor will prob be either black or green.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Well, that's the trouble with not being able to spell, isn't it. No such thing as an ect sensor. Mark Smith has guessed that you're looking for the Coolant Temperature sensor (sometimes abbreviated as CTS), and told you where that is. I think you're looking for the Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor, (EGT) a sensor found only on LCR's - it is screwed into the exhaust turbine housing, that is, part of the turbocharger.

Is one of us right? Or are you looking for something else entirely?

mark smith

"take it or leave it !"
Oct 28, 2007
westbury !
Well, that's the trouble with not being able to spell, isn't it. No such thing as an ect sensor. Mark Smith has guessed that you're looking for the Coolant Temperature sensor (sometimes abbreviated as CTS), and told you where that is. I think you're looking for the Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor, (EGT) a sensor found only on LCR's - it is screwed into the exhaust turbine housing, that is, part of the turbocharger.

which one ! ! ! ! :shrug:

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts

no real need to start your reply like that!!!!!

3 posts, he may have spelt wrong yes, but to reply like that not on imho, from a senior member aswell.

on the op, could you explain what it is your looking for exactly mate......

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Mark, my reply was directed at the original poster: I should have quoted him/her to make it clear.

You've described the coolant temperature sensor, I guessed that the EGT sensor was the target, but it isn't clear.

James. You should see the post I metaphorically screwed up and tossed away; I was not going to reply to this query at all, given that the poster can't be bothered to spell, punctuate or check facts and came over to me as demanding. However once Mark had posted his guess I thought it best to add my guess, so that the silent army of lurkers has the fuller story. But as you say, I am senior, i.e. a boring old fart, so might I be allowed the odd grumpy-old-man moment?

kitey. More information is needed so that we can understand what it is that you are looking for. Maybe you could tell us why you need to find this sensor - has it been flagged up by a diagnostic report? If so, what error codes were listed, and what happened in the first place to make you look for a problem?

Last edited:

Seat Gooner

A.K.A Mark
Feb 28, 2009
Wisbech
i have the EGT Problem hold up ill just get the fault code

17863 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235): Implausible Signal
P1455 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Ive tried unplugging it and plugging it in a few times seems to not help :s

JamJay

California Bound
Personally, like Mark Smith, I read this as ECT - Engine Coolant Temp sensor and the info he has provided to the OP is sound.

Of course, kitey2186, if it's the EGT - Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor that you're after, just say the word and we'll direct you to that also :)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Trouble is, I've not seen the coolant sensor given the acronym ect before, whereas the EGT acronym is firmly associated with exhaust gas temperature in high-performance turbos and also in jet engines. The only Leon with an EGT is the LCR - its one of the distinguishing features - and they are known to go wrong, as we can see upthread.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Jake wrote

anyways if you having a problem with the egt sensor it could be an earth problem, dint skchiro have that problem

Jake, you're being such a bad example here :confused:
skchiro sounds like a character from a Kurosawa movie, and there is no-one using that name in the forum database.

Skorchio, on the other hand, described how he fixed an EGT sensor problem in this thread. :)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Gooner, I'd be unhappy with an EGT fault, and I don't know whether it will cause the ECU to put you into one of the limp modes and restrict your power. Does the engine warning light on the dash come on?

I'd suggest a PM to Skorchio to see if he can give any help. He's certainly done a lot of work on his car.

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I have the EGT sensor issue too. You could be lucky and have a bad earth, or simply corroded terminals on the plug. Or the sensor is actually gone (in my case) and you need a new one.
It does restrict timing, and dumps a load of fuel in to keep it cool apparently, so you get much lower mpg. Mine is about 5mpg lower than it should be. No dash warning lights though and the sensor is about £170 from the dealers. Sad times.

Seat Gooner

A.K.A Mark
Feb 28, 2009
Wisbech
just had a read on the dodgy earths and i hope that will sort it

what does the Implausible Signal mean ???

17863 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235): Implausible Signal
P1455 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Just a guess, but implausible signal probably means outside the expected range but not short to earth or the power line. This could be due to a bad contact, or a failing probe.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members