EGR system

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
Just recently bought myself a 55 plate leon fr tdi,which im loving even after owning a evo 8 fq300 running 385bhp,2 focus rs's and 2 cupra r's ,loving the 56mpg average im getting!Anyway..

i have seen a few posts about disconnected the egr system foe a little more engine responce and reduced smoke out the back!
I have done a search but cant seem to find the info i need...
Can anyone help me with the follwoing?

1.The location of the EGR?

2.How can i disconnect it either by turning it down by vag com which i dont have or a nail in a hose,in which case what hose hose?

3.will this bring on any lights on the dash?

4.any risk of damge or runnig issues after disconnecting it?

5.will the emissions be ok or would i have to revert it back to standard for m.o.t?
Thanks Guys

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
STA409161.jpg

The pipe you can shove a nail up is the EGR vacume pipe, i've got a hose clamp squashing the hose pipe closed on mine, a CEL light appears for 5 mins then goes away.

No issues with mine, apart from its alot smoother when setting off in 1st and driving in crawling traffic (less jerky)

p.s - The EGR is that silver UFO looking thing with the egr vacume pipe going to it.

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
would i then need to block off the metal bit of the egr?or does nothing come out of it?
i just blocked that pipe off and no engine light came on?
when does it come on then off?
Cheers for your help

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
As far as I know once the vacume pipe is blocked then the whole EGR unit cannot open and let through the recycled gasses.

My engine light sometimes takes weeks of driving, but when it does come on it soon goes off again.

brad1

so chrisGTL, that pipe which you have scribbled red over, if i clamp it tight, what you are saying is thats like a egr removal basically

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
I hope so, otherwise i'm talking complete shite.

have you not got a blianking plate in place then with a small hole?
just reading some more old posts and i read you bought one?
have you still got it fitted?

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
have you not got a blianking plate in place then with a small hole?
just reading some more old posts and i read you bought one?
have you still got it fitted?

I did buy one from Forge but it turned out not to fit, so sent it back.

I'm going to take my EGR unit off when I get my new intercooler hoses and clean it all up, i'm very interested to see what condition its in after only 23k.

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
my cars done 21k and i just had the hoses off and they were pretty bad to be honest,
im intrested in hearing from people who have made a blanking plate with small hole in has this done the same job and kept the light at bay?

brad1

STA409161.jpg

The pipe you can shove a nail up is the EGR vacume pipe, i've got a hose clamp squashing the hose pipe closed on mine, a CEL light appears for 5 mins then goes away.

No issues with mine, apart from its alot smoother when setting off in 1st and driving in crawling traffic (less jerky)

p.s - The EGR is that silver UFO looking thing with the egr vacume pipe going to it.

in the pic where the hose is coloured red, i took it off and put a screw in the egr valve hole and put the hose back on, and cable tied in two places to hold the screw tight, hope this is right?:)

Mar 8, 2007
I've removed the pipe from my EGR on my 04 Fabia VRS and plugged it with a white golf tee and put a cable tie around it, then used a bleed valve rubber cover to cover the EGR hole.

I have done 414 miles and had no CEL light at all.

brad1

how easy is it to remove the egr valve to clean it up, also by plugging up the egr valve hole, will i get any shudder when turning it off?

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
how easy is it to remove the egr valve to clean it up, also by plugging up the egr valve hole, will i get any shudder when turning it off?

It doesnt look too hard to take it off, but as with anything if you havn't done it before no doubt it will be a bitch.

I presume its just a case of removing 3 screws holding the EGR to manifold and then removing 2 more screws that holds the pipe on the bottom of EGR.?

brad1

if you look in post #13, does it sound right what i have done?

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Taken from MKIV's -

'Unbolt the 2 nuts on the egr pipe at the exhaust manifold first. Then unbolt the two hex bolts you can get to easily on the egr valve. Then unbolt the egr pipe from the valve and take the pipe off completely. Then spin the egr round so you can get to the last hex bolt.'

OR

Tools needed are 12mm spanner, 5mm allen key and 6mm allen key.

1) First step take off the exhaust to inlet pipe there is 2 X 12mm nuts on the top of the exhaust manifold(down the back) and 2 X 5mm hex bolts that fasten it to the EGR itself, remove them all, then remove the pipe

2) Next remove the rubber elbow use pliers/molegrips to get the spring clamps off, a tip is to leave them on the pipe untill you remove the pliers/molegrips, otherwise they will spring all the way shut and will need some really wide jaw pliers or a vice to get them back on.

3) Now take the EGR off with all that removed you will have better access to the 3 x 6mm hex bolts holding it onto the inlet manifold

4) Remove the 2 vac pipes too.

------------------

**Once that is off, you may aswell remove the manifold too**

All you need for this is the 6mm allen key and a 10mm spanner

5) Remove the turbo inlet pipe, the black pipe going from maf to turbo well, not remove just unbolt it from the manifold and push it back. there is 2 X 10mm bolts one at the top and and one on the side(just below the EGR) also unclip the oil breather for more room.

6) Then unbolt the manifold theres 6 bolts, quite easy to get to.

7) Cup of tea.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.