EGR system

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
My 2.0TDi 140 at 27k miles.
IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

And you should see the oil thats in the pipe work!

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Prompted by this thread I just took the egr off my Altea and gave it a clean. For a car with 85k on the clock it was very clean. I took some pics on the phone, but they're crap, and now it's raining I'm gonna get wet refitting the bloody thing.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
And while I was on working (getting very dirty) I took the inlet manifold off aswell and cleaned that out. What a pile of crap came out. I used some industrial solvent cleaner first which made little impression on it, so I tried some alloy wheel cleaner (Bright Wheels from Auto Rae Chem) and a stiff bottle brush. Much better, and all cleaned up and put back together.

A word of warning to anyone else attempting this on a 2.0ltr lump. There are numerous bolts holding the inlet manifold to the head, and when I'd removed them all it still wouldn't shift. Closer inspection revealed a final bolt inside the housing where the EGR connects on, so you need to insert an Allen key inside the manifold to undo the final bolt.

Not had a test drive yet as I've just managed to remove the bloody muck from my arms, face, hands, hair etc.

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
heres a question!

if people are stopping the egr opening, will this not lead to soot building up at the other end? obviously we cannot vent to air, wouldnt it be worth a company making a mod to vent to exhaust?

also

when the ecu tries to open egr but cannot as the pipe is blocked, would this not cause over fueling? or does the ecu realize its tried to open egr, but cannot? (hence sometimes lighting up engine check?)

sorry for the noob questions

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
What are people cleaning these with?
paintbrush to brush it of; pressure hose, any tips and offerings are greatly appreciated by all and sundry

As I said above, alloy wheel cleaner did it for me, along with a stiff nylon bottle brush for the inlet ports.

Volvic. Stopping the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) means that instead of the ecu feeding exhaust gas back into the inlet to reduce emissions, all the exhaust gas goes straight out the exhaust. No problem with that.

Regards the engine overfuelling if the EGR is deactivated. Nope, because fuelling is based on the engine running without EGR, and it's only in certain circumstances that the EGR operates and scavenges exhaust gas into the inlet. So in effect, no EGR is better for fuelling, although not for emissions.

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
Volvic. Stopping the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) means that instead of the ecu feeding exhaust gas back into the inlet to reduce emissions, all the exhaust gas goes straight out the exhaust. No problem with that.

Regards the engine overfuelling if the EGR is deactivated. Nope, because fuelling is based on the engine running without EGR, and it's only in certain circumstances that the EGR operates and scavenges exhaust gas into the inlet. So in effect, no EGR is better for fuelling, although not for emissions.

thanks for clearing that up for me Viking! :)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I think it is always good to clean the EGR valves and exhaust manifolds ever now and again. I think ChrisGTL posted a good example on another thread how good fuel can keep things cleaner than supermarket stuff.

Mar 8, 2007
I use whatever fuel is cheapest and chuck in a whole bottle of Forte fuel treatment every 10k and millers sport 4 every 2 months

djjonnibgood

Seat Ibiza 1.9TDI "130"
Feb 13, 2007
Wakefield,West Yorkshire
"heres a question!

if people are stopping the egr opening, will this not lead to soot building up at the other end? obviously we cannot vent to air, wouldnt it be worth a company making a mod to vent to exhaust?"

I bought a device a while back on ebay for about £10. Once the pipe was disconnected from the EGR and closed off a new pipe was connected to the EGR which fed into a snmall brass device. The device had an input and output aswell as an adjuster bolt which compressed a spring and a ball bearing which enables the boost to be manually adjusted. The other pipe goes somewhere else with a T-piece to connect to another pipe and the wastegate if i remember correctly, although dont quote me on this lol

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
I bought a device a while back on ebay for about £10. Once the pipe was disconnected from the EGR and closed off a new pipe was connected to the EGR which fed into a snmall brass device. The device had an input and output aswell as an adjuster bolt which compressed a spring and a ball bearing which enables the boost to be manually adjusted. The other pipe goes somewhere else with a T-piece to connect to another pipe and the wastegate if i remember correctly, although dont quote me on this lol

You're talking about a manual boost controller, which has nothing at all to do with the EGR system.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Tried taking my EGR off today, what a nightmare of a job. Just not enough room for my hand to get in there........if the brake reservoir wasnt there it would be so much easier.

I managed to get the 2 5mm hex bolts out of the EGR to Inlet, and managed to get 2 6mm hex bolts out of the pipe attaching the pipe to bottom of EGR but was unable to remove the other 2 6mm hex bolts.

Took some pics of inside the EGR. This is what it looks like after 23k.

DSCF0784.jpg

DSCF0805.jpg

DSCF0814.jpg

Doesnt look too bad, but really did want to remove it :(

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Looks pretty clean that...good fuel and oil must be doing its job Chris.

Couldnt get my SLR in enough to take a pic of the internals, but I had a look with a mirror......it wasn't any worse anywhere else.

So yeh, good fuel and I think the Diesel Sport 4 will be doing its job cleaning too.

Its easy enough to pull the clip off the intercooler pipe and just have a look, 2 seconds of a job. I shall keep looking at it, and may look at getting it cleaned @ 40k.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The flap you can see there is the anti-shudder valve. The EGR is futher down the pipe, underneath the "flying saucer". The buildup of crud only happens downstream of the EGR, in the inlet manifold, where the oily CCV vapour in the charge meets the sooty hot exhaust gas.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
The flap you can see there is the anti-shudder valve. The EGR is futher down the pipe, underneath the "flying saucer". The buildup of crud only happens downstream of the EGR, in the inlet manifold, where the oily CCV vapour in the charge meets the sooty hot exhaust gas.

So it might be crudded up further down the pipe? I need to shrink my hands.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise