Electric folding mirror's question.

kemper

Hi I have electric folding mirrors on my Toledo and just wanted to find out if it is possible to fold them whilst driving :confused: They fold when the car is stationary and running, but when I'm driving and try to fold them they won't do it :think: Its a pain because I live on a Island and some of the roads are a real squeeze . . . my driver side wing mirror took a smack a couple of months ago before I realised I had electric fold mirrors, it was'nt badly damaged and still folds in but faster than the passenger side does and not as tight into the car. Do yours fold in whilst you are driving the car? And if so how do you do it? I've tried turning the switch round to 6 o'clock, turning it to 6 o'clock and pulling downwards on it, nuffin works :help:

Amituk

odd that they dont fold.

On my merc they fold in while driving.

Amit

kemper

Thanks dholdi, that would be great if you could try it. Mine also fold out whilst I'm driving just not in! Like Amituk says whats the point in having folding mirrors if you can't fold them in when driving along a tight road!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I can fold mine in and out at town speeds by turning the selector to 6 o'clock, never tried at higher speeds. 51-plate Toledo TDI 110.

It may be one of those things you can set with VAG-com?

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Yep. Town speeds. You should never need to at fast speeds or I would hate for you to be trying to squeeze past that gap past me at 50 mph!

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
Thanks dholdi, that would be great if you could try it. Mine also fold out whilst I'm driving just not in! Like Amituk says whats the point in having folding mirrors if you can't fold them in when driving along a tight road!

It may be an in built safety feature to prevent folding them in whilst driving as tbh imho they should always be "deployed" whilst driving and the folding mode is just for when its parked. It must be a seriously tight road if the mirrors need to be stowed to negotiate it. Nevertheless I will let you know what mine do.

Amituk

Sometimes things like this can be configured via Vag com or dealers.

Might be worth a shot.

I know you can turn on things like auto lock when the car is in motion from vag com.

Amit

Mister T

I'm sure I've folded mine whilst driving out of the multi story car park - maybe they only fold below a certain speed??

skinnylew

Mar 19, 2007
South east london
I believe there is a built in feature where by if you go over a certain speed they automatically fold out.
This stops you folding them in whilst at anything other than crawling pace by which time you are going slow enough to judge it without folding them in ;)
I must admit i play a dangerous game with width restrictors, i go through the same set every day and the fastest i've managed is 40mph lol
Does vary on the width though, the ones in my borough are all 7ft ones so not too bad but i know of some narrower ones in a neighbouring borough and i scraped a mirror going through, it was bad imo they are too narrow.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
A bit of thread excavation, but I can report that my mirrors will fold in and out at motorway speeds. I was being dazzled by an inconsiderate wretch a couple of days a go, and after dipping my interior mirror, folded the wing mirrors to reduce the glare. They obediently folded in and out again as required.

The inconsiderate wretch turned out to be a Police traffic car. Good job I didn't actually make any of the gestures I was thinking.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.