Emission Dash light on (safe to drive?)

Keir

Mar 5, 2010
Middlesbrough
www.pixel-edge.net
Today the Emission control system light has come on. The manual says :

Ibiza manual said:
a fault has developed during driving which has reduced the quality of the exhaust gas (e.g lambda probe fault).

It then goes on to say reduce speed and drive carefully to a qualified workshop.

So am I ok to keep driving as it's going for it's MOT on Monday, and when it was serviced the dude said it'll more than likely need a new cat :(

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
Mine has got this and an MOT in the morning! It only comes on when i use Asda petrol though for some reason?

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
I use Shell from now on because i can get some reward points , even if it is only 1% back but the light stays on permanently until it is reset and then stays off until i use asda fuel :(

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
so odd.

So it's alright to drive round with it on yeah?

I think so, i've had mine on now for 3 months but we'll see what happens at the MOT tomorrow :) But the light could be a lot of problems so it's best to get it checked up by someone with Vag-Com. I've ordered one on ebay for a tenner so will see if that shows the fault when i get it :)

Kie183

May 4, 2009
Southampton
I've picked up this emission control light as well, was gunna take it to SEAT for a diagnosis but think i'm gunna wait and see how this vag com wire you got works.
I also got it from changing petrol, went from Shell to esso then it popped on.....

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
Mine passed but he said he just about got through emissions and said its got a problem. I brought Vag-Com and scanned it but it wont mention anything or let me reset the light so i'm unsure if the car is connected properly even though my cable is lighting up?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd reckon that it could be a lambda probe issue - usually the control probe - ie "bank 1 sensor 1" - as its "only" the mixture control probe, if the engine is handling what the ECU is giving it okay without causing emission problems, then the car would pass emission testing "at this time". In my experience, the manu-cat mounted Lambda probe starts to fail intermittantly but eventually does end up having a "hard" fault. Personally, if this is the problem, then I'd suggest that you stick with buying the correct replacement probe from VAG.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise