engine conversion

monkeyboy1

hi guys. ive seen alot of conversion about what engines will fit in the mk2 from the 1.8t to the 2.9 vr6. most people seem to have a 1400cc but i only have the 1043cc. do these engines still fit? im after any help including what you personally would recommend. all advice is much appreciated

thanks monkeyboy1

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
The engine bay & chassis legs are the same

But the investment in doing it really isn't worth it.

For what the parts will cost you could easily pick up a 2.0 16v or 8v

monkeyboy1

engine

ah right, thanks mate. so you would recomend dropping a 2.0 16v or 8v in instead. is this alot more cost effective. what car would that engine come from the golf? how much do those engines sell for i tried looking but to be honest this is totally new to me so didnt know what to look for. i would probably need to uprate front brakes and things aswell wouldnt i?

thanks monkeyboy1

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I'd just buy an Ibiza with the engine already in for a grand & flog your 1.0

So much easier, and you get reliability & toys like ABS & Aircon (in some models)

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
I'd just buy an Ibiza with the engine already in for a grand & flog your 1.0

So much easier, and you get reliability & toys like ABS & Aircon (in some models)

2nd that
you won't get shafted by insurance

you can get a 2.0 16v Ibiza GTI (same engine as a mk3 golf gti) but much more stealth ;)
or a 2.0 8v (the other mk3 gti engine), but without the "brand tax" of owning a VW

i got a 16v and i love it (when it works, i got a dud one, don't let it put you off)
just do your research and you can get a mint one!

monkeyboy1

thanks for that guys youve helped me alot. i suppose when i take into acount getting the engine then paying for it to be fitted and getting whatever parts it needs. it does seem alot cheaper and hassle free to just buy one. ill keep my eye out for some. what would you recomend 8v or 16v?

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
thanks for that guys youve helped me alot. i suppose when i take into acount getting the engine then paying for it to be fitted and getting whatever parts it needs. it does seem alot cheaper and hassle free to just buy one. ill keep my eye out for some. what would you recomend 8v or 16v?

to put simple

8v = lower end torque
16v = higher end torque

i have heard the 8v is better for city driving as the power's low down, so less gear changed needed etc

i have a 16v and when you get in the high revs, it puts a smile on your face! i love my 16v, but the 8v can be as much fun (and cheaper insurance)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.