engine cover

AntoniosL

Sep 30, 2021
The reason for taking it to the dealer is so that it os logged, and a replacement ordered. You can take it off yourself easily enough, but you'll not get a revised one until after a dealer visit.
Well, in my case (2.0l - 310 VZ3), I received a letter from the dealer quoting my car's VIN number stating that there is no need to remove the cover as long it sits firmly in place and it is periodically checked by the customer and does not appear to become loose. If it becomes loose then the customer may attempt to remove it; if not successful, then he/she may visit the dealer to get it removed.

The letter also states that currently there is no replacement cover and once a new replacement part becomes available I will be contacted via a separate letter.

So, the logging-in has already been made by the factory through the VIN number mentioned in the letter.

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Some cars, including electric ones now have engine covers that are so big (and they are there just for aesthetic purposes) that it's like having a second bonnet. Much quicker without it, reduces front end understeer too...

DroneTinker

Jan 25, 2022
Spain
I called the dealer this morning and they told me 310CV should be without the cover, which I doubted because the letter explicitly stated the VIN of the vehicle. Just checked and yep the cover was there. It took so little force to remove it, I think it would fly away at a little bit aggressive driving. I don't see any point in this cover and I won't even request the replacement.

Attachments

• enginecover.jpg
    enginecover.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 328

AntoniosL

Sep 30, 2021
Love your clean engine bay DroneTinker; I also try keeping it spotless. The only reason I will go for the replacement is to keep the dust away from the top side as it is so much easier cleaning the cover rather than trying to clean through all that tubing and around the injectors.

Reactions: DroneTinker

Baldiesimo

Mar 16, 2021
I have had the engine cover removed from my recently purchased VZ3 and I am not happy at all. The dealer tried to tell me the engine cover was for "aesthetic purposes". I had to laugh. No end date given for a replacement to be fitted. My biggest concern is contamination for the exposed parts.

I would encourage anyone who reads this post and has had their engine cover removed, to keep pressure on your dealer and CUPRA to get a fix in place without delay. Only applied pressure by the many, will ensure this sorry episode for the VW Group gets confined to history.

Put this episode together with the sat nav which has not worked on the car since day one, along with noisy breaks and what do you get? A honeymoon with my VZ3 which is by far the shortest on record for any car that I have bought.

View attachment 31241
Why get so stressed. Its a recall, all manufacturers do it. Its a safety thing. Yes, they have said replacement ones are being made and will be fitted free of charge. No big deal.

Reactions: AntoniosL

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
My Cupra Leon VZ2 300 had no cover when delivered at beginning of month, same reason I was told. Doesn't look right without it as I have had covers on all my last Cupras and got used to having it to tidy up the engine bay

FormentorVZ3

May 22, 2022
I was allowed to take the cover home when the dealer removed it.
but I let it off, the risk is too high for me, especially with my tuned engine.
pics bevor and after... after is terrible.

Attachments

• IMG_1349.jpeg
    IMG_1349.jpeg
    896.6 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1396.jpeg
    IMG_1396.jpeg
    828.6 KB · Views: 322

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
My other car is a Mustang V8 engined MG ZT - when journalists were allowed to drive them pre-release they had to sign an agreement not to publish photos of the (uncovered) engine as MGR were embarrassed at the rawness of the installation! I love seeing the engine, cables, parts - after all, if you want them covered isn’t that what the bonnet is for - so don’t open it! Not sure I have more than once on the Formentor!

Attachments

• 15FD5675-7595-4DDD-80FE-556DCB659C57.jpeg
    15FD5675-7595-4DDD-80FE-556DCB659C57.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 229

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
My VZ 310 which I picked up 10 days ago has a built date of 25/04, from what I knew it was 2.0 lt engine cars that were produced till the end of March 2022 that had the problem of the cover being detached and posed a possible fire hazard (there were 16 cases in Germany), so I was expecting mine to have the new safe replacement cover, however mine had no cover at all from factory! It should be displacement and not replacement! Called also the dealer, they confirmed 2.0 lt cars come now from factory without an engine cover and they don't know if a replacement will ever come, although it is supposed to.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
You couldn't make it up eh. As little as it may sound, it's absolutely ridiculous. "We made something not fit for purpose, so the fix is to just remove it".

AntoniosL

Sep 30, 2021
My VZ 310 which I picked up 10 days ago has a built date of 25/04, from what I knew it was 2.0 lt engine cars that were produced till the end of March 2022 that had the problem of the cover being detached and posed a possible fire hazard (there were 16 cases in Germany), so I was expecting mine to have the new safe replacement cover, however mine had no cover at all from factory! It should be displacement and not replacement! Called also the dealer, they confirmed 2.0 lt cars come now from factory without an engine cover and they don't know if a replacement will ever come, although it is supposed to.
As per my conversation with the dealer yesterday after they performed my annual service, apparently, the factory is working on a new engine cover ; however, currently, there is no firm indication on when such cover will be made available. They said it is on a back order in their system.

slapheed

Jun 25, 2022
My VZ3 came without. I questioned it when i picked the car up. He said its standard process at the moment for safety. I wasn't told that it would be sorted if a work round comes up tho. Rear brakes creek and satnav is pretty bad. Otherwise im happy.

Desformentor

Mar 30, 2023
No engine cover or soundproofing on my vz2 310. No dramas with car at all yet. I use Apple CP for everything tho. I spose the heated seats is a faff but I’m assured that my car will soon remember that I like like a warm botty. We shall see.

Reactions: IanH72

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
No engine cover or soundproofing on my vz2 310. No dramas with car at all yet. I use Apple CP for everything tho. I spose the heated seats is a faff but I’m assured that my car will soon remember that I like like a warm botty. We shall see.
If you double tap the cold and hot heater controls under the infotainment screen it will turn on your heated seats. You can turn off lane assist by pressing the button on the end of the indicator stork and pressing ok on the steering wheel.
Welcome to the tribe.

Desformentor

Mar 30, 2023
If you double tap the cold and hot heater controls under the infotainment screen it will turn on your heated seats. You can turn off lane assist by pressing the button on the end of the indicator stork and pressing ok on the steering wheel.
Welcome to the tribe.
Thanks Ian, that’s a good tip, and also this is why I joined. Cheers

Reactions: jcbmally

sanderheed

Jan 14, 2018
England
Just had a delivery of my VZ2 245 and both of the parts are missing. Instantly fell in love with the car but the only issue was it seemed really noisy when you were driving. My wife said the same after her first time in it.
Can’t see the cover making any difference other than keeping the engine clean but I’m sure the sound deadening certainly might help.
Leasing company calling their supplier tomorrow so will see what they say.

raylee25

Jan 24, 2012
London
Just had a delivery of my VZ2 245 and both of the parts are missing. Instantly fell in love with the car but the only issue was it seemed really noisy when you were driving. My wife said the same after her first time in it.
Can’t see the cover making any difference other than keeping the engine clean but I’m sure the sound deadening certainly might help.
Leasing company calling their supplier tomorrow so will see what they say.
I bought one of these instead of waiting for the stealers.

1685104840678.png

Reactions: sanderheed

sanderheed

Jan 14, 2018
England
I bought one of these instead of waiting for the stealers.

View attachment 36881
Looks good 👍🏼 where did you get it?

I had some feedback from the leasing company this morning. They’d spoken to their supplier and I got the same answer as the others on this thread. Will get rectified on a recall but no idea when. Maybe never.
It’s an issue right through Volkswagen Audi group. The fixings are wrong so it can shake loose. Fire hazard if it touches the engine. They’re looking at a fix but…

Going to buy some flame proof insulation for the bonnet and see if it dampens the noise.

raylee25

Jan 24, 2012
London
Looks good 👍🏼 where did you get it?

I had some feedback from the leasing company this morning. They’d spoken to their supplier and I got the same answer as the others on this thread. Will get rectified on a recall but no idea when. Maybe never.
It’s an issue right through Volkswagen Audi group. The fixings are wrong so it can shake loose. Fire hazard if it touches the engine. They’re looking at a fix but…

Going to buy some flame proof insulation for the bonnet and see if it dampens the noise.

Reactions: sanderheed
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members