Engine Knocking under power. Help.

Jul 12, 2009
London
www.flickr.com
This is a strange one, only noticed on way home from work today. Issue is that under any slight acceleration in high gears/low revs there is a loud knocking noise which is constant until you take your foot off the acceleration, at which point is stops! Most obvious around 40mph in 6th (don't actually drive like this usual, just wanted to see when noise is worst)

Was going to pop down at lunch to garage see what they say. Due a service in 1,500 so unless urgent i'd rather wait till then (about 3 weeks time)

Mar 25, 2009
bath
Mmm yeh it's a weird one, I take it that it's coming from the engine bay? Wat does it sound like? I imagine your engine mounts may be worn, have you got a strut brace? It might be knocking on that, or maybe the front antiroll bar, is your car lowered?

Jul 12, 2009
London
www.flickr.com
Mmm yeh it's a weird one, I take it that it's coming from the engine bay? Wat does it sound like? I imagine your engine mounts may be worn, have you got a strut brace? It might be knocking on that, or maybe the front antiroll bar, is your car lowered?

Yes it is coming from the bay, sounds like a constant metallic tapping noise... I also do have a strut brace, and my car is lowered.

Just really want an idea so I can go to the garage with a little bit of info incase they try and fob me off!

Thanks for your help though :)

ant49

Dec 11, 2009
Yes it is coming from the bay, sounds like a constant metallic tapping noise... I also do have a strut brace, and my car is lowered.

Just really want an idea so I can go to the garage with a little bit of info incase they try and fob me off!

Thanks for your help though :)

Ive got the same noise, makes the noise when im in 6th doing 40 or 5th doing 30 and i try to accelerate, ive got a feeling its the ARBs. Started doing it when i got the cupra bushes put on

Jul 12, 2009
London
www.flickr.com
Right...

Just got back from the local VAG garage.

2 issues it could be:
- CV bushes (either inner or outer) would be looking around £200 fitted. This involves taking out the driveshaft to see where teh noise is coming from, as following an inspection they could not find anything...

- If that isn;t teh issue you could be looking and a new gear box and clutch. Which I have been quoted around £900 fitted...

If it is teh latter I will cry, and probaby make my car standard again...

Mar 25, 2009
bath
£900 for gearbox AND Clutch is a good price tho is it not? Hopefully that's not what you want it to be, I wud have thought you wud be talking more than that for gearbox alone

Jul 12, 2009
London
www.flickr.com
Well... it's not a gearbox.

The garage *thinks* it's an issue with teh driveshaft, as it doesn't look in very good condition! They would also replace the CV bushes as well. price for this lot: 400 notes! Now i'm not even sure this is the problem so i'm going to take it to another garage to get their thoughts...

Seat main dealers quoted me £370 to replace the driveshaft.

I need to get some thinking, and also some monies!

Dirtyepic

Our car has always had something similar. Being in a high gear at lowrevs and low speed there is a juddering and medium acceleration. I always assumed that it was the tourqu from the engine causing issue with the clutch. We've never had any slipping when in low er gears under hard/very hard acceleration. But it's not metalic.

D1x0n

Oct 18, 2010
bristol
Old thread i know. Jw if youv solved it yet? I have a seat strut brace (engine) and have knocking noise ever since. Thought was gearbox or exhaust knocking..... Soo jackd it up.... And found no noise watsoever.
To cut a long story short... It turnd out to be my engine cover. Honestly. Makes a right rackit!!! Pulling away and drivin slowly. Anyways may be worth a look m8. Mine still off atm :)

D1x0n

Oct 18, 2010
bristol
Old thread i know. Jw if youv solved it yet? I have a seat strut brace (engine) and have knocking noise ever since. Thought was gearbox or exhaust knocking..... Soo jackd it up.... And found no noise watsoever.
To cut a long story short... It turnd out to be my engine cover. Honestly. Makes a right rackit!!! Pulling away and drivin slowly. Anyways may be worth a look m8. Mine still off atm :)

wenman

Red Ibiza 1.8T
Mar 28, 2009
Cheshunt
I had the engine cover rattling on my strut brace, only affects ptrols though!
Dervpower sounds like it could be the flywheel as Great Kahn said :(

Dirtyepic

Thanks for that. The beast has been very good of recent with minimal issues. And still only getting a judder at really low revs in high gears. So I don't do that. Not like 1500 rpm in 4 5 6 is exactly full throttle teritory. I shan't be changing anything until it is u/s

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise