Engine Mounts

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Hi all,

As my subframe is off for powder coating (major suspension overhaul) I'am going to replace both rear engine mounts and looking for advice on what/which to buy.

Seen a few threads saying only buy genuine VAG - Why?
I was looking at OEM Febi ones available from www.vwspares.co.uk - Are these not comparable if not the same?

The price difference is quite significant - from VW I was quoted approx. £130 plus VAT for genuine with the OEM Febi £45!

Considered Vibratechniks but the cost is a problem and not sure if I need that level of performance.

Advice/knowledge appreciated.

DC

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
I've heard stories of febi bushes failing prematurely.

GSF should do lemforder ones which I'm told are better and they are the genuine OEM suppliers for many vw/seat parts.

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Thanks for replys!

Yeah I was thinking if uprating do just the front.

Heard of parts from GSF or G&S coming branded VW. Its a bit of a quality lottery though isn't it!

DC

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Just called my local ECP and GSF to get a quote.

The only engine mounts they can supply are manufactured by/branded "Q-Drive" (ECP) and "V-Tech" (GSF).

Not sure now! My options are narrowing!

DC

crossedmike

i know this may sound silly but why u powdercoating the subframe ? lol its not seen and woulndt a nice lick of hammerite protect it

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Just called my local ECP and GSF to get a quote.

The only engine mounts they can supply are manufactured by/branded "Q-Drive" (ECP) and "V-Tech" (GSF).

Not sure now! My options are narrowing!

DC

Q-drive are shite in my experience. Dunno about v-tech, but they sound dodgy too.

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
i know this may sound silly but why u powdercoating the subframe ? lol its not seen and woulndt a nice lick of hammerite protect it

I know its there! - lol

I've powder coated suspension parts in the past and always been pleased with the results - looks like new if not better and more likely to be a once only process. I'll be doing the front hub carriers and the rear beam when the opportunity arises - probably when fitting new suspension.

Hammerite may be a bit cheaper but the prep/application creates fumes and a mess I'd rather not spend the time dealing with!

Its part of my philosophy (if not financially misguided OCD) in that if it has to be removed or replaced I try and make it as new or better!

I've had a decent quote from seremotors for genuine parts so I may go for them but definitely not "Q-Drive" or "V-Tech" !!!
I've been thinking - if these "Q-Drive" or "V-Tech" mounts retail at £15 - 25 and the both the supplier and manufacturer have a mark up how much did they cost to make!

DC

Last edited:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
where do you get it powdercoated DC?
place in brum did my mates 200sx sub frame for £40, not small neither lol
(city powdercoaters)

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
where do you get it powdercoated DC?
place in brum did my mates 200sx sub frame for £40, not small neither lol
(city powdercoaters)

I've been recommended a place for the blasting and another for the coating, both in Leicester. Might be the same place that did some parts for me a few years ago but Iam not sure as it was through someone I knew who restores aircooled VW stuff. Cost me about £50 IIRC for x2 hub carriers/struts, ARB, x2 splash guards and a few brackets and bits.

If anyone has a recommendation - especially in Leicester!

DC

Last edited:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
I will ask my mates from dubclub, most of them are from leicester, but tbh, not a bad for all that!

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
I know its there! - lol

I've had a decent quote from seremotors for genuine parts so I may go for them but definitely not "Q-Drive" or "V-Tech" !!!

DC

Looking how close the prices between sere and the febi ones are, it might be that febi are the oem supplier afterall.

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Is it possible that my existing original engine mounts will be OK to refit?

I presumed that with the cars age and mileage (100k) that they'd need replacing.

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I have a solid front mount and then vibratechnic rear & gearbox mount.

Actually may have a used Vibratechnic front mount in my spares box.... could go to a good home from a small price :D

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
I have a solid front mount and then vibratechnic rear & gearbox mount.

Actually may have a used Vibratechnic front mount in my spares box.... could go to a good home from a small price :D

This mean your selling the Vibratechnic front mount?! - I'd be interested - let me know details/price!

DC

Last edited:

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Is it possible that my existing original engine mounts will be OK to refit?

I presumed that with the cars age and mileage (100k) that they'd need replacing.

All depends how it has been driven. You need to inspect them for cracks in the rubber and softness. Depends if you can be bothered to take it apart again in 50,000 miles to replace them if they go by then.

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
I will ask my mates from dubclub, most of them are from leicester, but tbh, not a bad for all that!

Still appreciate your recommendations!

Just got my subframe back from powder coaters and Iam not happy! - The coverage is thin and the blasting is still visible in a lot of places.

No way its going on my car like that!

DC