Engine noise 2.0 TDI 184ps

Kaiju

Kaiju FR184
Jun 19, 2016
UK
Wondering if anyone can help me identify what this noise is. We thought it was chatter from the dual mass Flywheel, but the noise is still there even after the clutch and DMF have been replace. (I didn't replace them due to the noise, the CSC failed). When replacing the DMF there was some play in the old one, so I was hopeful that was the source of the noise. But it's still there!

Video 1 is before the replacement and video 2 is after. In video 1 the noise I'm talking about stops at about 11 seconds and then resumes at about 14 seconds so you can really tell the difference between the usual engine noise and this other noise I'm hearing.

VIDEO 1

VIDEO 2

Kaiju

Kaiju FR184
Jun 19, 2016
UK
How do you know it's not a normal engine noise?

It's intermittent, so surely it should be a continuous sound when the engine is running if it was normal?

Also its a new noise. I've owned the car for 5 years and it's come about in the past couple of months.

It's usually only on a cold idle and can only be heard towards the passenger side of the vehicle. Can't hear anything if you crouch down on the driver side.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I still think it's possible that this is a normal noise.

Diesel engines are characteristically quite noisy and VW ones are no exception. There are variations even on the same type of engine. It's possible that you've just not picked up on the noise before, especially if it's intermittent and you can only hear it from one specific spot outside of the car. If it goes away once the engine is warm, I'd be very inclined to think it was normal.

Kaiju

Kaiju FR184
Jun 19, 2016
UK
I still think it's possible that this is a normal noise.

Diesel engines are characteristically quite noisy and VW ones are no exception. There are variations even on the same type of engine. It's possible that you've just not picked up on the noise before, especially if it's intermittent and you can only hear it from one specific spot outside of the car. If it goes away once the engine is warm, I'd be very inclined to think it was normal.

You can hear it inside the car. But then on further investigation when looking at the engine bay and trying to pin point the noise, that's how I've located it to the passenger side. You can really hear it if you stick your head near the passenger side front wheel.

This is a noise that has only come about in the past few months and I'm sure I would have noticed it before that.

Very strange really but so far no other issues have presented itself. Sometimes when the noise happened, the engine would idle rough and the car would shake but since I've changed the DMF, only the noise is back and no rough idle for now.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
My 184FR has done the rough idle and shaking twice now. Once a few years ago and one recently when idling whilst I de-iced the car. Both times, switching the car off/on and it was fine. If it was the DMF, would it have started shaking again on startup, or would something reset?

How much are DMF's to replace, and would it be covered by a SEAT extended warranty?

Kaiju

Kaiju FR184
Jun 19, 2016
UK
My 184FR has done the rough idle and shaking twice now. Once a few years ago and one recently when idling whilst I de-iced the car. Both times, switching the car off/on and it was fine. If it was the DMF, would it have started shaking again on startup, or would something reset?

How much are DMF's to replace, and would it be covered by a SEAT extended warranty?

DMF was replaced the other week. From TPS for my car it's £700+!! So not cheap.

So far no shake/rough idle. So I would assume the rough idling / shake was due to the old worn DMF.

Just the noise which still remains.

PS. The flywheel is made by LuK which you can source from other part suppliers for nearly half the price. All you're paying for with TPS is the VW stamp..

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Very strange really but so far no other issues have presented itself.

It's a difficult situation as you are trying to figure out if the behavior is a fault which might cause bigger problems or just an unwelcome but normal characteristic of the engine. I have a similar issue with a slight rattle at high revs on our 150 TDi. Still don't know what it is, if it's something which might get worse or if it's just something trivial like a daft loose bracket.

I'd try to find a local VW independent as these guys seem to know more than dealers do.

Kaiju

Kaiju FR184
Jun 19, 2016
UK
It's a difficult situation as you are trying to figure out if the behavior is a fault which might cause bigger problems or just an unwelcome but normal characteristic of the engine. I have a similar issue with a slight rattle at high revs on our 150 TDi. Still don't know what it is, if it's something which might get worse or if it's just something trivial like a daft loose bracket.

I'd try to find a local VW independent as these guys seem to know more than dealers do.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Find out if there is an issue, before it gets worse and costs ££££.

Had the car for 5 years and this noise has come about in the last 4 to 5 months. We thought it was the DMF, but evidently not as we have replaced it now.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Does putting your foot on the clutch stop the noise?
My guess would be just backlash in the gearbox - when in neutral with your foot of the clutch - your gearbox input shaft will be spinning.
Probably worse when engine is started from cold and with cold gearbox oil.
Maybe gearbox oil change may help.
My car does this slightly - and I have some new gearbox oil - will let you know if this helps although I doubt i'll be doing it for a few weeks.

Kaiju

Kaiju FR184
Jun 19, 2016
UK
Does putting your foot on the clutch stop the noise?
My guess would be just backlash in the gearbox - when in neutral with your foot of the clutch - your gearbox input shaft will be spinning.
Probably worse when engine is started from cold and with cold gearbox oil.
Maybe gearbox oil change may help.
My car does this slightly - and I have some new gearbox oil - will let you know if this helps although I doubt i'll be doing it for a few weeks.

Never noticed but yes I've tried it now and the noise stops as soon as I press the clutch, then restarts when I release

Then after car is warm, the noise goes away altogether

So you reckon a gear box oil change would help?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Never noticed but yes I've tried it now and the noise stops as soon as I press the clutch, then restarts when I release

Then after car is warm, the noise goes away altogether

So you reckon a gear box oil change would help?
I haven't had chance to do my gearbox oil change yet so can't comment if if worked for me but I haven't noticed mine do it since it been warmer so for me its definitely temperature based.

Cold gear rattle is definitely a 'thing' so oil must play a part.

Just for information regarding your old DMF and clutch - what were they like when removed? and how many miles did they do?
Did you measure the play in the flywheel? and was it 'within' specification?
Was there much meat left on the clutch?

Thanks,

Kaiju

Kaiju FR184
Jun 19, 2016
UK
Car did 68k
There was play in the DMF
Dont know how much and don't know the condition of the clutch

Reactions: SuperV8

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Car did 68k
There was play in the DMF
Dont know how much and don't know the condition of the clutch
There is a certain amount of acceptable play tolerance.
Just for information from my cold start this morning I had no gearbox rattle - and was 8 degrees - so maybe only when it's cold/freezing? Still haven't managed to do my oil.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise