European Mib2 High / Plus Map Release for November 2020

Tell

Staff member

It broke cover on Skoda servers at the weekend, subsequently on VW servers.

VW servers, direct download link:

https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/P189_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT.7z

Skoda servers direct download link:

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/HIGH12_P189_EU_202045.zip

Skoda servers are / can be problematic.

Linked resource gives details on MAC issues etc and how to do it, saves going over it again. Note FEC issues and Mapcare.

Normal success picture:
View attachment 19611

nb MIB2 High only where your FECs allow. In VW naming convention: ECE 2021. Mib3 (new 2020 face lift models) you got your connect services but older maps :love:. We don't know whether they can be updated from VW Mib3 released maps or not offline, what the software update button does etc. Needs someone who knows there way around the system and familiar with downloading MIB2 maps to try it with the VW 2020 mib3 released maps via the VW website since on paper they are newer than ones I've seen on Seat MIB3 units (release date 2019). Seat released maps always lag behind VW and Skoda released maps (circa 6 months plus) although same upload file release within system group. Saying that we don't know whether this is true with MIB3 or indeed it can be done with the units released in the UK (ZN1).

Last edited:

aggie

Apr 28, 2009

Linked resource gives details on MAC issues etc and how to do it, saves going over it again. Note FEC issues and Mapcare.

Normal success picture:
View attachment 19611

nb MIB2 High only where your FECs allow. In VW naming convention: ECE 2021. Mib3 (new 2020 face lift models) you got your connect services but older maps :love:. We don't know whether they can be updated from VW Mib3 released maps or not offline, what the software update button does etc. Needs someone who knows there way around the system and familiar with downloading MIB2 maps to try it with the VW 2020 mib3 released maps via the VW website since on paper they are newer than ones I've seen on Seat MIB3 units (release date 2019). Seat released maps always lag behind VW and Skoda released maps (circa 6 months plus) although same upload file release within system group. Saying that we don't know whether this is true with MIB3 or indeed it can be done with the units released in the UK (ZN1).

Normal success picture:
View attachment 19611

Many thanks Tell for the link I have updated my my maps to 1520 went like a dream saved me a few bob. You are a star.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
We have to thank Exciter (Stefan) who did the standard mib2 workaround back in early 2017 which works a treat. The FeC adjustment for mib2 provides the solution for that unit. So Seats are on the same footing as VW and Skoda on free map updates.

You can put something back where you see missing things from the maps by updating / reporting issues on the cartography map sites. They do come thru eventually. Circa 9 months or so dependent on where you are on the production cycle. Those sites are on the resource link. Satisfying to see your own corrections come thru.

Suspect there might be disgruntled Mib3 people in a year's time ?. We'll see, use to getting updates but then changing cars, running out of their 12 month free update period. I'll probably skip Mib3 myself. More like Mib4 or Mib5 with the electric car :love:. Not planning to change the vehicle.

Jan 20, 2021
I have had a look in my Ateca 2020 (non facelift) and i dont have an SD card in any slot. How would i up date the maps just via USB ?

Thanks

Tell

Staff member
If it's working it means you have a Seat Plus (mib2 high). Next step is to check your navigation FeCs. See whether you are in the limits. You get a complementary one year update period. If out of the limits then it's hello to a retrofitter. There is a board sponsor for that now.

Check the navigation FeCs, instructions here:

See

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/re...v-mib2-tricks-and-lost-mib1-card-solution.60/

Under

Mib2 High / Seat Plus Map Update

If good then goto

Updating the Maps in a Seat Plus / Mib2 High

If not then Keiron at North East VAG Adaption. Retrofitter updates the navigation FEC so it's within limit. I'm told he's doing them to the Seat magic value that's unlimited although reckon VAG will possibly stop issuing updates after 2025. They said mib1 5 years after they stopped fitting them, this years it would apoears. Puts mib2 last one at June 2025 by my reckoning.

Let us know the results of each stage.

Jan 20, 2021
If it's working it means you have a Seat Plus (mib2 high). Next step is to check your navigation FeCs. See whether you are in the limits. You get a complementary one year update period. If out of the limits then it's hello to a retrofitter. There is a board sponsor for that now.

See

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/re...v-mib2-tricks-and-lost-mib1-card-solution.60/

Under

If good then goto

If not then Keiron at North East VAG Adaption. Retrofitter updates the navigation FEC so it's within limit. I'm told he's doing them to the Seat magic value that's unlimited although reckon VAG will possibly stop issuing updates after 2025. They said mib1 5 years after they stopped fitting them, this years it would apoears. Puts mib2 last one at June 2025 by my reckoning.

Thanks, i've booked it in for its 1st service 19 days before its a year old so ill see if the garage can update the maps etc

Tell

Staff member
Thanks, i've booked it in for its 1st service 19 days before its a year old so ill see if the garage can update the maps etc

Sounds on the basis of the age you will be out of luck on the very latest although carefull examination of what release its on you might be able to fit a historic one in, can be done retrospectively. Seat UK generally wash it's hands of mib2 map updates unless you pay for a complete update each time. You might find an operative who knows their stuff other than that you are on your own. All too easy to say, use your phone, stock dealership answer. Mapcare was never adopted in the UK or supported, elsewhere in Europe it is. Consumer Association beef in the UK on the cost of inbuilt map updates with some brands sold in the UK. Skoda and VW abandoned Mapcare and map updates are free. For the mib2 high (common unit across brands) the only thing that stops the update is the navigation FeC get that altered and you get the same benefits of Skoda and VW. Six monthly map updates. That's where the retrofitter comes in. For the standard unit you have the DIY "workaround" method or you can get the standard units FeC changed. Majority of people use the workaround if they have the standard unit in the car. Getting the FeC changed should probably be entertained only if the car is owned by you like any other mod.

Jan 20, 2021

See

Under

If good then goto

This is what my system says ??? any advice

Thanks

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-21 at 21.51.15 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-21 at 21.51.15 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-21 at 21.51.15.jpeg

Jan 20, 2021

I have just spoken to the service centre where my car is going and have asked will they update the maps as its under a year, they said it will cost £132 as you have to pay for them. When i questioned the 12 months free, he said no you don't get that!

Any idea where i can find where it says about a years worth of updates to show them ?

Thanks

Ant

Tell

Staff member
From the picture yes that is the Seat Plus (Mib2 High). The charging is the normal pattern on answer. You should have the one year free update from the date of the build. People on here have taken advantage of that. It gets the dealer off the hook of supplying a car with old maps. It appears on the build codes which the dealer has access to, or you can ask for a print out or you can spend €7 or so on Erwin.

But the other way is to read your navigation FeCs as I mentioned then work out what you can update - the easiest. Reading the navigation FeC is easy enough to do:

From the picture you are currently on the June 2019 release which has the 2019/2020 date stamp on it, from the table shown

212019 June

with the complementary one year you should have a navigation FeC that has that last digit above 22. It's that number we want. Then work out which of the files you can use.

If it's 25 then you can get the June 2020 released file in, in this link:

That's release 187, the first link.

Then follow

Then follow the heading Updating the Maps in a Seat Plus / Mib2 High

You will use the 187 file link, not the most recent shown.

If your Navigation FeC ends in 27 or higher (which I doubt) then you can use the latest release. 189.

I note how much they were charging. That's a one off payment for one map update, a decent retrofitter can fix your navigation FeC for "life" for a cost less than that, with no on cost. Like the board sponsor I named.

Reckon try to get an update in, following the guidance then if you are happy with that then think about get your navigation FeCs adjusted so you get the same abilities as VW and Skoda to update your maps for free their after.

If I haven't provided all of the VW instructions in the in the resource it's here... ignore the documented year, but the card layout etc, PC / Mac instructions... it's the gold standard of how to do it on a mib2 high if your navigation FeCs allowed. Fat32 on a 32gb SD. 7 zip if a PC. Keka and CleanMydrive if using a Mac. People hash up map updates since they don't stick to the technical spec, people on board propagate different file formats and it ends in tears. Saying that if it goes wrong you won't loose your existing map.

Once running it will take 40 mins to one hour. You can drive the car without navigation, stop the engine, restart etc and it continues the update from where it got to. That's using the normal update menu. Back end is different which I talk about in the text, but you won't be able to get into that since its disabled as shipoed. An alternative way of doing it. Kills all other processes the unit is doing.

VW keep changing their website around so that's the technical manual on file preparation.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021
From the picture yes that is the Seat Plus (Mib2 High). The charging is the normal pattern on answer. You should have the one year free update from the date of the build. People on here have taken advantage of that. It gets the dealer off the hook of supplying a car with old maps. It appears on the build codes which the dealer has access to, or you can ask for a print out or you can spend €7 or so on Erwin.

But the other way is to read your navigation FeCs as I mentioned then work out what you can update - the easiest. Reading the navigation FeC is easy enough to do:

From the picture you are currently on the June 2019 release which has the 2019/2020 date stamp on it, from the table shown

212019 June

with the complementary one year you should have a navigation FeC that has that last digit above 22. It's that number we want. Then work out which of the files you can use.

If it's 25 then you can get the June 2020 released file in, in this link:

That's release 187, the first link.

Then follow

Then follow the heading Updating the Maps in a Seat Plus / Mib2 High

You will use the 187 file link, not the most recent shown.

If your Navigation FeC ends in 27 or higher (which I doubt) then you can use the latest release. 189.

I note how much they were charging. That's a one off payment for one map update, a decent retrofitter can fix your navigation FeC for "life" for a cost less than that, with no on cost. Like the board sponsor I named.

Reckon try to get an update in, following the guidance then if you are happy with that then think about get your navigation FeCs adjusted so you get the same abilities as VW and Skoda to update your maps for free their after.

If I haven't provided all of the VW instructions in the in the resource it's here... ignore the documented year, but the card layout etc, PC / Mac instructions... it's the gold standard of how to do it on a mib2 high if your navigation FeCs allowed. Fat32 on a 32gb SD. 7 zip if a PC. Keka and CleanMydrive if using a Mac. People hash up map updates since they don't stick to the technical spec, people on board propagate different file formats and it ends in tears. Saying that if it goes wrong you won't loose your existing map.

Once running it will take 40 mins to one hour. You can drive the car without navigation, stop the engine, restart etc and it continues the update from where it got to. That's using the normal update menu. Back end is different which I talk about in the text, but you won't be able to get into that since its disabled as shipoed. An alternative way of doing it. Kills all other processes the unit is doing.

VW keep changing their website around so that's the technical manual on file preparation.

How do i get Erwin to sort it for me ?

Tell

Staff member
How do i get Erwin to sort it for me ?

Don't bother with Erwin... that was just the way to prove you had 12 month complementary Mapcare from the build date. If you got it your car has in built in on the navigation FeC just use the Ready Reckoned link to determine what you can do. Bet the dealer will still want to charge you that price even if it was just the question of running a map update. You'd get charged for the work.

Once you determine what you can do from the navigation FeC assuming you got adequate computer skills you can do it yourself. You just need a class 10 32gb card. If you have a Macbook you might need a card reader. Don't use Mac's myself. Critical thing is to read off the Navigation FeC then take it from there.

Tell

Staff member
I found the gold standard PDF on the technical aspect of the file layout etc. You might be using a different file due to your navigation FeCs. Doesn't mention USB, some people do it that way, depends on the bus speed on how long it will take that way. Never tried, I stick to the marked route.

Attachments

• Discover_Pro_June_2020_EN.pdf
    256 KB · Views: 462
Jan 20, 2021
Does anyone know where I can find where it says about the 12 months free updates as I'm chasing up the dealership and someone asked if it was in writing as would be better for me ??
Thanks

Tell

Staff member
It's in the build codes. The dealer has access to them or you can pay for an hour's time on Erwin and look them up yourself under vehicle specific information. There is a build line that tells you what the car has.... but as I said before if you read the navigation FeC / Swap code that is the release limit that you can update to. The two are the same. The build codes tell you what is in your car, that in software terms is programmed into the infotainment system. Basically its based in the build date + 1 year. Early cars to about about 2018 or so the build line says "without Mapcare". You won't negotiate with a dealer to get the navigation FeC altered, they aren't set up for that since Mapcare isn't supported in the UK. A retrofotter such as one of the boards sponsors can do that. East Yorkshire Retrofit.

By reading your navigation FeC off and using the table I linked to you can work out which releases you can update to within the bounds of your current FeC. You will find links to the releases on the Ateca thread I put up each 6th months, June & November. So you can go back to one that updates your 177 release if it won't take the November 2020 release. Skoda / VW / Seat files are all the same release on the respective servers, no brand loyalty on the one you use. If the VW link is down, use the Skoda one.

Garages don't do a free map update in that one year period, you have to do that yourself as per the instructions I gave you. There are people on the board that have taken advantage of the free update period. That's a free group of now historic map updates from the build date. These can always be applied retrospectively. You see people on boards wonderfully misunderstand how Mapcare works. There is no counting just a <= sign of the quarter release date of the map (the map has that built in, in Hex) and the navigation FeC.

Map release FeC in Hex <= Navigation FeC in Hex

& you are fine.

The ready reckoner I devised in that link is a table that decodes the navigation FeC which that car has into the quarter from there you compare with the map release date (June or November and year). Even if the map was released late it will be placed back at the quarter it fell in.

If you picture your FeCs (info in the ready reckoned link) I'll look up what you can do, to save you looking it up. Giving you the last update link that fits into the limit of build date and what's programmed into the unit. Get the data presented correctly from the download and it will work.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021
It's in the build codes. The dealer has access to them or you can pay for an hour's time on Erwin and look them up yourself under vehicle specific information. There is a build line that tells you what the car has.... but as I said before if you read the navigation FeC / Swap code that is the release limit that you can update to. The two are the same. The build codes tell you what is in your car, that in software terms is programmed into the infotainment system. Basically its based in the build date + 1 year. Early cars to about about 2018 or so the build line says "without Mapcare". You won't negotiate with a dealer to get the navigation FeC altered, they aren't set up for that since Mapcare isn't supported in the UK. A retrofotter such as one of the boards sponsors can do that. East Yorkshire Retrofit.

By reading your navigation FeC off and using the table I linked to you can work out which releases you can update to within the bounds of your current FeC. You will find links to the releases on the Ateca thread I put up each 6th months, June & November. So you can go back to one that updates your 177 release if it won't take the November 2020 release. Skoda / VW / Seat files are all the same release on the respective servers, no brand loyalty on the one you use. If the VW link is down, use the Skoda one.

Garages don't do a free map update in that one year period, you have to do that yourself as per the instructions I gave you. There are people on the board that have taken advantage of the free update period. That's a free group of now historic map updates from the build date. These can always be applied retrospectively. You see people on boards wonderfully misunderstand how Mapcare works. There is no counting just a <= sign of the quarter release date of the map (the map has that built in, in Hex) and the navigation FeC.

Map release FeC in Hex <= Navigation FeC in Hex

& you are fine.

The ready reckoner I devised in that link is a table that decodes the navigation FeC which that car has into the quarter from there you compare with the map release date (June or November and year). Even if the map was released late it will be placed back at the quarter it fell in.

If you picture your FeCs (info in the ready reckoned link) I'll look up what you can do, to save you looking it up. Giving you the last update link that fits into the limit of build date and what's programmed into the unit. Get the data presented correctly from the download and it will work.
Thanks will have a look, the dealership got back to me saying they have been to the head of cupra asking ??????????

Jan 20, 2021
Sounds on the basis of the age you will be out of luck on the very latest although carefull examination of what release its on you might be able to fit a historic one in, can be done retrospectively. Seat UK generally wash it's hands of mib2 map updates unless you pay for a complete update each time. You might find an operative who knows their stuff other than that you are on your own. All too easy to say, use your phone, stock dealership answer. Mapcare was never adopted in the UK or supported, elsewhere in Europe it is. Consumer Association beef in the UK on the cost of inbuilt map updates with some brands sold in the UK. Skoda and VW abandoned Mapcare and map updates are free. For the mib2 high (common unit across brands) the only thing that stops the update is the navigation FeC get that altered and you get the same benefits of Skoda and VW. Six monthly map updates. That's where the retrofitter comes in. For the standard unit you have the DIY "workaround" method or you can get the standard units FeC changed. Majority of people use the workaround if they have the standard unit in the car. Getting the FeC changed should probably be entertained only if the car is owned by you like any other mod.

My car went in today, they serviced it and then I had to wait another hour'ish for a software update. I thought great, this will include the maps, nope just an update for the dashboard and car, nothing to do with the maps so I.. back to square one. I downloaded some of the maps and with the USB it didn't work so now I'm thinking of just getting someone to update then and cha he the Fec etc. Anyone know any decent SE-London based ?
Thanks

Tell

Staff member
I don't think I've mentioned one of the board sponsors on this thread.

They are capable of it. Good reports from members of the board who have had their mib2 high navigation FeCs updated to the "life time" value by them.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the remote method is the best (on the link provided), some people extract the unit from the car and courier to them as an alternative. There was talk of a confederation of people they would work with to give a local way to extend their services. You could ask them. They do tour about the north and Scotland before lock down.

Depends how good your DIY skills are at extracting the unit from the glove box with a set of keys you can buy online for removing VAG infotainment units, follow youtube video to unplug the connections, box up, insure it and get it couriered up... or just take a few days holiday in Bridlington ;).

The retrofitter that did operate out of Croydon turned out to be problematic, you wouldn't find them now in any case.

Jan 20, 2021
I don't think I've mentioned one of the board sponsors on this thread.

They are capable of it. Good reports from members of the board who have had their mib2 high navigation FeCs updated to the "life time" value by them.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the remote method is the best (on the link provided), some people extract the unit from the car and courier to them as an alternative. There was talk of a confederation of people they would work with to give a local way to extend their services. You could ask them. They do tour about the north and Scotland before lock down.

Depends how good your DIY skills are at extracting the unit from the glove box with a set of keys you can buy online for removing VAG infotainment units, follow youtube video to unplug the connections, box up, insure it and get it couriered up... or just take a few days holiday in Bridlington ;).

The retrofitter that did operate out of Croydon turned out to be problematic, you wouldn't find them now in any case.

I may just wait for lockdown to end and then a road trip for a few days!

Thanks for the info! 😁😁

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.