Exhaust decibel cameras

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Ace. Why doesn't the transport secretary just outlaw car sales except from him? Then open a garage that sells nowt but electric Miis.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I think it's discrimination on a hobby, we don't put camera's on traffic lights for anyone who doesn't have Speed blue paint...

If it passes an MOT then what more can we do...

I wonder if my stock R is louder than 70db with full beans lol

@theoldboy what was the db of yours on the track?

Reactions: bigT's lcr

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
To be fair some cars are pretty obnoxiously loud for no good reason. If they can wake you up by driving past your house, they are too loud.

MOTs only check if your car is safe, being a bit loud isnt really a safety issue (unless its REALLY loud), but it is a public order issue. Its not like its not impossible to sound good without being deafening.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
To be fair some cars are pretty obnoxiously loud for no good reason. If they can wake you up by driving past your house, they are too loud.

MOTs only check if your car is safe, being a bit loud isnt really a safety issue (unless its REALLY loud), but it is a public order issue. Its not like its not impossible to sound good without being deafening.
I totally agree but to make a car that loud you would have to de cat and take out the res one would assume or just have a straight through pipe which would fail on emissions hence the MOT...

I'm pretty sure that a res delete DSG pop and bang mod would be quite alot louder than 70db lol which is the most popular mod on the MK3.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
I dont think 70db is actually confirmed though, from what I can see its a current suggestion only. Its less than many new, type approved cars. The main problem vehicles I see are older cars in the hands of teenagers and motorbikes. Some bikes are really absurdly loud, to the point that you can feel them as they drive by.

Reactions: Jimbobcook

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015

I've farted louder than 70db.

It's a case of not being able to please everyone. My neighbour, for annonyimity, lets just call him ********. His exhaust on his stock 1.2 Corsa has been blowing for about 2 years now (no idea where he gets his mot) and wakes me up at 5:30 every morning (fair enough if he has to go to work at that time). So I'd be a hypocrete to say I want his exhaust to be silent and mine to be louder. Maybe they should do something like London and have zones where you have to pay to go if you break a certain db to keep boy racers out the city.

the2oldboy

I think it's discrimination on a hobby, we don't put camera's on traffic lights for anyone who doesn't have Speed blue paint...

If it passes an MOT then what more can we do...

@theoldboy what was the db of yours on the track?

Sorry @Jimbobcook had some nasty people playing with my gmail account so had to delete it and therefore had to set up a new user profile.

Re noise mine runs at about 86 but to be fair that is taken directly behind the exhaust at 4000 rpm so sitting at traffic lights where the exhaust will be away form the camera I dont see it making any difference. The logical place to enforce this stuff is at the MOT but we all know the there are kind MOT Stations that look after Modified cars :)

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
My neighbours Skyline is stupidly loud as is a Focus RS that visits him, I know that a couple of his nearer neighbours have had a quiet word but I haven’t heard any difference in his driving style, there is a difference between sporty loud and making your ears bleed.

Action Man

Mar 24, 2019
as far as I know human perception of noise is nothing to do with volume but to do with frequency...if the new cameras are for db number only then no one has owt to be concerned with...... cos they will also have to allow for pre 1996 vehicles or whatever when it wasn't really at a limit, it just said not significantly louder than a stock vehicle...and if you go pre 1983 there was no limit

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
"All vehicles made since 2016 are legally limited to 74 decibels."

Hmmm....
5zTJfWT.jpg

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Its usually limited to a distance though, not right at the end of the exhaust.

:rofl:. Oh yeah. But also, that's on idle... I can only imagine what it hits when I bounce off the rev limiter at 8k.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Remember db is sound pressure. Its also measuring the force of the exhaust at that distance. It will drop exponentially with distance

A real 115db is on the edge of painful to many people.

Reactions: Legojon

Action Man

Mar 24, 2019
Lego ...I think ALL VEHICLES is a bit encompassing...cos I bet there are a lot of post 2016 vehicles that are exempt etc etc ..... pedantic..err well mebe

Deleted member 103408

Only 2 and it makes me laugh that armoured vehicles are in the same class as WAV's

Cars and Noise
The external noise emitted by passenger cars has been controlled since 1929 when the Motor Cars (Excessive Noise) regulations were introduced. New cars are now required to meet Europe-wide noise limits. These have been progressively reduced from 82 decibels (dB (A)) in 1978 to the current limit of 74 dB (A) established in 2016. Information on the level of noise recorded for new models of cars at their type approval test is also listed in the data table available to download here https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/downloads/default.aspx.

When looking at this information please note that off-road vehicles are allowed to be 1dB (A) louder and wheelchair accessible vehicles or armoured vehicles are allowed to be 2 dB (A) louder.

The noise levels quoted above are the maximum levels that are permitted for new vehicle types. Many vehicles produce lower levels of noise, and it is illegal to modify the exhaust system of a vehicle to make it noisier than the level recorded for that model at type approval.

A new EU regulation was introduced from July 2016, Regulation (EU) No 540/2014, phases in tighter noise limits over 10 years, together with a revised, more representative test procedure. By 2026 the limit for most new passenger cars will be 68 dB(A).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Seastormer

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Dirty Dirty Noisy Noisy exhaust!!

Now I want to know what it is at 8k revs! But also, I'm waiting for it to rust a bit more and fall off (not long now). I'm thinking of going valved next time so it only roars above a certain rpm.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.