Facelift Spec Differences & Options

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
The smaller engines get twist beam rear suspension so the ride will be different compared to the IRS on the larger engines. I wonder if there are any Suffolk members on here with an IRS FR that I could try? Probably a long shot but worth an ask...

Thanks for the other info, good to know the 7sp doesn't need servicing.

The 7 speed on the 2.0 does require servicing as it's a wet clutch like the 6 speed. It's the high torque (430Nm) DQ381 like on the Cupra, not the cheaper dry clutch, DQ200, that has low torque (250Nm) tolerance and multiple issues.
I believe the DQ381 requires servicing every 80000 miles rather than the 40000 of the 6 speed DQ250 it replaced.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomsLeon

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
The 7 speed on the 2.0 does require servicing as it's a wet clutch like the 6 speed. It's the high torque (430Nm) DQ381 like on the Cupra, not the cheaper dry clutch, DQ200, that has low torque (250Nm) tolerance and multiple issues.
I believe the DQ381 requires servicing every 80000 miles rather than the 40000 of the 6 speed DQ250 it replaced.

Brilliant, thanks for the clarification!

There's no chance of me reaching 80k in it tbf so I won't need to worry about that.

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
DQ381-7a is the AWD version, FWD models such as the hatchback have the 381-7f. 700 Nm is the limit for both (hardware), soft limit ~420 but history has shown they can handle 500Nm without issues, anything above that could make the clutches slip (nothing a TCU tune can't fix).
Oil should be changed every 120k km or 75k miles. Filter is lifetime.

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
DQ381-7a is the AWD version, FWD models such as the hatchback have the 381-7f. 700 Nm is the limit for both (hardware), soft limit ~420 but history has shown they can handle 500Nm without issues, anything above that could make the clutches slip (nothing a TCU tune can't fix).
Oil should be changed every 120k km or 75k miles. Filter is lifetime.

500Nm from a petrol? Must need some serious BHP to get there? I wasn't planning on remaps...been there, done that with many diesels over the years lol. I remember paying £40 for a blacksmoke.com remap on a PD130 Golf and flashing it myself with an old laptop and a cloned Galletto...bit different nowadays!

But just for reference...what would be a safe stage 1 on the 190ps engine with no other mods? Are there any physical differences between this engine and the 230/245ps Golf GTi? I guess there must be on the 300ps Cupra?

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
Also, to save starting another thread... I bought a cloned VCDS cable in 2018 (I know clones can be controversial)...obviously it doesn't get updated but was on the latest update at the time. Will it work on a 2019 Leon? I'm not 100% sure how it 'finds' the cars info, but I'm assuming it'd work on any Mk3 facelift...but not a Mk4 as it won't have the Mk4 data?

Would like to enable things like needle sweep and drive-away locking if possible. Anything else I could enable on a 2019 FR without extra hardware?

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
500Nm from a petrol? Must need some serious BHP to get there? I wasn't planning on remaps...been there, done that with many diesels over the years lol. I remember paying £40 for a blacksmoke.com remap on a PD130 Golf and flashing it myself with an old laptop and a cloned Galletto...bit different nowadays!

But just for reference...what would be a safe stage 1 on the 190ps engine with no other mods? Are there any physical differences between this engine and the 230/245ps Golf GTi? I guess there must be on the 300ps Cupra?
Stock the car produces 380Nm from very low in the rev range. You can hit over 500Nm at just stage 1. Most Stage 1 cars are around 500Nm and 370bhp.

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
Stock the car produces 380Nm from very low in the rev range. You can hit over 500Nm at just stage 1. Most Stage 1 cars are around 500Nm and 370bhp.

That's for the Cupra though, right? Surely the 190 wouldn't be able to get 370bhp from a S1?

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
Next question...does the 2.0 TSI 190ps have a GPF on a '19 plate? I had assumed GPFs weren't fitted until the Mk4 came out but have just noticed a GPF thread in this forum.

I've got plenty of DPF experience (mainly doing short, slow journeys!) but never had a GPF before. Have seen a few GPF issues on the Ford forum. Are they any trouble on VAG engines?

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
Yes. 19 plate has a GPF.
From our experience we have had no issues. Our car is doing short journeys only. It’s also an April ‘19 plate. It has 4000 miles on the clock.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Thanks, that's reassuring!
July 19 plate Cupra owner here with 5800 miles on the clock. Bought brand new and zero issues with the car mechanically. I think the GPF can get up to temp very easily and doesn't need long runs like a DPF.

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
Finally decided to go for the FR I linked earlier in the thread...but someone else beat me to it lol!

The FR Sport is still available. Just tried to post a wanted thread for a set of 17s (either swap or buy) but it says I have insufficient privileges. Is there a minimum post count needed to post wanted threads?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If you get a facelift car on 18s I'd try it first before you change the wheels. Our car on 18s is absolutely fine. It's not as harsh as the older car.

Mr_G

Oct 23, 2019
Next question...does the 2.0 TSI 190ps have a GPF on a '19 plate? I had assumed GPFs weren't fitted until the Mk4 came out but have just noticed a GPF thread in this forum.

I've got plenty of DPF experience (mainly doing short, slow journeys!) but never had a GPF before. Have seen a few GPF issues on the Ford forum. Are they any trouble on VAG engines?

Our 2019 2.0TSI is currently doing a GPF regen, runs like a bag of poo and drinks fuel like mad but this is only the 2nd time in 4000k its done one - we do 95% short journeys so can't really complain.

Overall a great car and the 2.0 190ps engine and 7spd DSG combo make for a very easy car to drive with more than enough poke for pretty much any real life situation.

Our is an Xcellence Lux Estate, looked at the FR but preferred the extra toys over the paddle shifters / body kit - the digital dash is great and the keyless is a neat feature, plus the heated seats are epic at this time of year :)

Reactions: TomsLeon and Mr Pig

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
Our 2019 2.0TSI is currently doing a GPF regen, runs like a bag of poo and drinks fuel like mad but this is only the 2nd time in 4000k its done one - we do 95% short journeys so can't really complain.

Overall a great car and the 2.0 190ps engine and 7spd DSG combo make for a very easy car to drive with more than enough poke for pretty much any real life situation.

Our is an Xcellence Lux Estate, looked at the FR but preferred the extra toys over the paddle shifters / body kit - the digital dash is great and the keyless is a neat feature, plus the heated seats are epic at this time of year :)

Currently doing a regen? Not sure you should be posting on here while driving... ;) On the subject of MPG though, what sort of average have you been getting so far? 35-40mpg for mostly short journeys at a guess? My 2.0 TDI Golf regens less than every hundred miles since lockdown but still averaging over 50mpg per tankful.

I've pretty much settled on the 2.0 TSI 190 and 7sp DSG combo. Seems reliable, quick enough, no cambelt to replace and comes with the IRS rather than twist beam. Plus I can tell everyone it's basically a Golf GTi underneath haha...

I am still totally torn on spec though. The one I actually 'want' is the FR Sport...looks good inside and out, has the full leathers and digi dash that I'm after, and has the paddles and red detailing on the interior. As I mentioned way back at the start of the thread, I want something that feels a bit sporty, something I can take pride in and want to take pictures of in scenic locations...plus if we're ever allowed to gather again, park at local meets and shows with pride, instead of hiding at the back or even having to walk in! Realistically though, the Xcellence Lux is the one I should go for, purely for the comfort suspension and 17s. I don't really want keyless entry...especially as an acquaintance recently had a keyless car stolen by relay...but with the EZ specs on the later Leons, I think they'll all have it.

Possibly a daft question but what's the difference with the bumpers on the FR compared to the Xcellence Lux? I feel like I can't see the wood for the trees here as they look the same to me! Both twin exhausts. The grills look different, and theres a black 'mark' around the plate on the rear bumper, but the actual bumper shape looks the same?

Not to go too far offtopic but I've been trying to do some more backroad driving this week and have been struggling with the ride on my Golf Match on 16s...so can be almost certain that I couldn't take 18's on a FR Sport. And am starting to wonder whether I'd be able to take 17s on an XL, let alone 17s on an FR... I know there's no real way to know without testing over a week or two though.

Mr_G

Oct 23, 2019
Currently doing a regen? Not sure you should be posting on here while driving... ;) On the subject of MPG though, what sort of average have you been getting so far? 35-40mpg for mostly short journeys at a guess? My 2.0 TDI Golf regens less than every hundred miles since lockdown but still averaging over 50mpg per tankful.

I've pretty much settled on the 2.0 TSI 190 and 7sp DSG combo. Seems reliable, quick enough, no cambelt to replace and comes with the IRS rather than twist beam. Plus I can tell everyone it's basically a Golf GTi underneath haha...

I am still totally torn on spec though. The one I actually 'want' is the FR Sport...looks good inside and out, has the full leathers and digi dash that I'm after, and has the paddles and red detailing on the interior. As I mentioned way back at the start of the thread, I want something that feels a bit sporty, something I can take pride in and want to take pictures of in scenic locations...plus if we're ever allowed to gather again, park at local meets and shows with pride, instead of hiding at the back or even having to walk in! Realistically though, the Xcellence Lux is the one I should go for, purely for the comfort suspension and 17s. I don't really want keyless entry...especially as an acquaintance recently had a keyless car stolen by relay...but with the EZ specs on the later Leons, I think they'll all have it.

Possibly a daft question but what's the difference with the bumpers on the FR compared to the Xcellence Lux? I feel like I can't see the wood for the trees here as they look the same to me! Both twin exhausts. The grills look different, and theres a black 'mark' around the plate on the rear bumper, but the actual bumper shape looks the same?

Not to go too far offtopic but I've been trying to do some more backroad driving this week and have been struggling with the ride on my Golf Match on 16s...so can be almost certain that I couldn't take 18's on a FR Sport. And am starting to wonder whether I'd be able to take 17s on an XL, let alone 17s on an FR... I know there's no real way to know without testing over a week or two though.

MPG depends on how short a short run is - for a quick mile or so journey it can be low 20's but would say for our mostly stop start journeys its around 30mpg but in better flowing traffic closet to 40mpg is doable. On a decent motorway drive we've seen 50+ and to be fair the economy seems to getting better as we put more mileage on it.

Slightly biased but the Xcellence Lux isnt "that" plain to look at, the black wheels and twin exhausts help but I think the basic shape / style of the Leon is fairly sporty to start with and the estate having dark tinted glass helps. Not parked next to an FR but would guess that side by side the difference isn't massive.

Will see if i've got some pictures or can take some of the front / rear bumpers if that helps?

Think the paddle shifters are something that people either love or hate, doesn't bother me that they are not fitted - to be honest not even driven in manual mode at all but will say they selecting sport on the DSG makes a huge difference in terms of making the car come alive.

Rather randomly it seems that the MPG is sometimes better in sport as it can be a bit lazy to change down in drive and ends up labouring the engine, guess with the paddles you could force it change down but not sure if it would change back up again shortly after - the manual suggests it would but no idea if that's the actual case or not.

Know where your coming from with the keyless theft issue... Is easy to disable on the Leon though, press the lock button on remote and then touch the door sensor it will then only unlock from the remote. Have to remember to do it each time but less faff than Faraday pouches.

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
MPG depends on how short a short run is - for a quick mile or so journey it can be low 20's but would say for our mostly stop start journeys its around 30mpg but in better flowing traffic closet to 40mpg is doable. On a decent motorway drive we've seen 50+ and to be fair the economy seems to getting better as we put more mileage on it.

Slightly biased but the Xcellence Lux isnt "that" plain to look at, the black wheels and twin exhausts help but I think the basic shape / style of the Leon is fairly sporty to start with and the estate having dark tinted glass helps. Not parked next to an FR but would guess that side by side the difference isn't massive.

Will see if i've got some pictures or can take some of the front / rear bumpers if that helps?

Think the paddle shifters are something that people either love or hate, doesn't bother me that they are not fitted - to be honest not even driven in manual mode at all but will say they selecting sport on the DSG makes a huge difference in terms of making the car come alive.

Rather randomly it seems that the MPG is sometimes better in sport as it can be a bit lazy to change down in drive and ends up labouring the engine, guess with the paddles you could force it change down but not sure if it would change back up again shortly after - the manual suggests it would but no idea if that's the actual case or not.

Know where your coming from with the keyless theft issue... Is easy to disable on the Leon though, press the lock button on remote and then touch the door sensor it will then only unlock from the remote. Have to remember to do it each time but less faff than Faraday pouches.

Thanks! Shortest journey I do is 2 miles to Tesco and back but generally it's more like 5+ miles each way. Haven't done any dual carriageways since March so I'm not fussed by the 'long run' economy. Oddly, my tank MPG has barely changed though, only lost about 5mpg/10%. Realistically, I'm doing such low mileage that the economy isn't really an issue...I wouldn't be going for the 2.0 TSI if it was...old habits just die hard after years of diesel MPG lol.

No I agree, the XL still looks better than the basic trim (SE?), and the full LED headlights look cool as well. I'm not a fan of the black alloys on the XL personally but again, with the EZ specs sort of stuck with them lol. Maybe it's the colour as well...all the XL's I've seen have been silver or black...don't think I've seen one in Mystery Blue so far. I have tried to compare side by side on Autotrader but I'm still not sure what the exterior differences are. Somehow the FR does appear different but I can't put my finger on it. It can't just be the FR radiator grill surely...

I wonder if I could disable just the keyless entry via VCDS? I had a Mk3 Focus a couple of years ago, that had push button start which made it feel quite 'premium' but didn't have keyless entry... I quite liked that setup as it felt modern but still secure.

Mr_G

Oct 23, 2019
Far point re the mileage Vs economy, we don't do enough for the low MPG to really be an issue - decided having something with a bit of power and the DSG was more important than saving a small amount each month in fuel.

Ours is in Bohem Purple and think the dark wheels work quite well but can see how they may look "odd" on the lighter colours...

Think the back is the same but the front bumper on the FR looks a little deeper with a more profiled surround around the top of the fog light but beyond that no idea lol - have attached a pic.

Can't help on the coding the keyless out, plenty of helpful and more knowledgeable people here that will know if it can be done though - as above those its easy enough to disable after the last drive of the day. On a side note thats one of the other things I like about the Xcellence Lux, it tends to go "un noticed" and due to the lack of body kit, massive wheels etc most people seem to assume its a small petrol or lower powered diesel.

bumpers.jpg