Factory Wheel Alignment Settings for an FR?

cable

I know this is a big ask, but does anyone know what the alignment settings are for a TDI FR?

Been having trouble with the steering wheel not being centred (going left when straight) after hitting a hidden great whopping pot-hole (real well hidden honest!).

Anyhoo took it to a nearby tyre place and they set it all up with the laser alignment equipment etc. and proceeded to tell me that I was wrong and the car must be pulling to the right not left. So they aligned it I took it out, was much worse, took it straight back and then when putting it on found they had used the sports suspension rather than FR.

They then changed to the FR setting and it was now way off, and proceeded to bring it to the manufacturers envelope. Four attempts the guy had at it and everytime he tightened it and he moved it back out, fourth time he managed to clip the outside of the envelope (machine was flashing green/red so it was hovering inside and outside) then said ahh well it was within the manufacturers tolerance and they were closing soon![:@]

Anyway, I still have the problem and now I don't trust anyone so my Uncle has a rally prep place and I can get him to do it for me but would need the settings, any chance anyone has them?

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Take it to the dealers. You will pay quite a bit more (probably about £90+VAT) for full 4 wheel laser alignment but it will be done properly and if it isn't then at least you have some comeback.

Co2

May 2, 2007
Sometime ago i made a similar thread but handn't any conclusive reply. I've tried different setups meanwhile and i've found one wich i like a lot and makes the car feel "racy" around corners.

If you wish i can write more about it's behaviour! Gimme some minutes and ill upload a picture of the aligment values!

It's quite expensive around there to align a vehicle. Here in a good place, with laser alignment the values are around 35/40€.

And never align your car after changing tyres (being on an elevator/lift (?)) . The ideal is half tank and straight away from being in the road. The suspensions will be on it's natural values. You should notice that when the car comes down after doing some kind of service where the wheels get suspended. When they contact the floor, before moving the car they look like "bent" inwards.

Forgot to mention that the values are according to manufacturers spec range.

Last edited:

Co2

May 2, 2007

There you go. Sorry it isn't a scan. Haven't got a scanner around here now. Later ill post the complete sheet if you want to. I've made some translations with paint :whistle:...

Hope it helps!

Didn't take the photo showing other values cause i guess they aren't needed.

The X is "caster", this setting isn't tunable. It's just right if the camber and convergence values are right.

Last edited:

cable

Thanks Co2, especially for the translation!

It'll be interesting once I get it back on to see what the values are and how different they are from yours. Feels like it is miles off what it should be at the minute.

Co2

May 2, 2007
I've settled with this setup cause it's the one who makes the back feel just how i like it with a FWD. The back end give a little bit, helping to counter the understeer. As i was used to drive a RWD i like it, it helps to turn the car.

;)

When driving normally the car behaves as usual off course, this is just noted when "race mode" is engaged... Less camber at the back makes it to grab more the road, however understeer is much more noticeable and the back isn't so progressive to loose grip.

If im not in mistake the only tunable setting at the front axle is convergence. And that influences a lot the steering feel and the "steering neutral point" when going foward. You'll have to see what fits you best.

My is completely off the book by now, pulling a bit to the right, but i had a slo puncture and i guess it didn't do any good to the alignment cause i still drove some miles with less pressure. But i reckon the steering could be a bit more "relaxed". I felt it's point to just go foward was too small. Like it had only left/right mode. I'll give it a look in the next days. Things are closed around where with christmas and new year...

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
I had my alignment done after I fitted my Eibach kit as the car pulled badly and the steering wheel was way off centre. My local Hurst/Lookers tyre depot did the 4 wheel alignment and it was (still is) perfect. I thinks it as much down to the operator as the machine . . . . .

Co2

May 2, 2007
But between the min and max values you can adjust you cars to your preferences. And it will give you a completely different ride.

Unfortunately around where i live the roads arent's so good. And i also spend a lot of time driving in this:

ADT6224.jpg

So my max is around 7500Km. Afterwards i've got to align and balance the wheels.

cable

Since it's handy to me I've booked into Hurst on the Boucher road tommorow for a four wheel alignment so hopefully they'll get it sorted, saves me annoying my Uncle till another time!

Will let you know how it goes!

cable

Car now feeling alot better but I'll take it out this evening and give it a thorough "check" :D

Steering a bit off centre but I'm sure I can pop in again and get them to sort that.

Anyway, they loaded up with Cupra/FR settings and mine turned out as follows:

Was LHF Toe +00.39° RHF Toe +00.29°
Should Be LHF Toe +00.08° RHF Toe +00.08° +/-.08°
Total Toe Should be +00.17° +/- 00.17°

Was LHR Toe -00.13° RHR Toe +00.47°
Should Be LHR Toe +00.08° RHR Toe +00.08° +/-.08°
Total Tow Should be +00.17° +/- 00.17°
and max Diff should be 00.00° +/- 00.33°

Camber was fine on front but off on the rear (luckily as it can be adjusted)

Was LHR Camber -01.17° RHR Camber +01.72°
Should Be LHR Camber -01.75° RHR Camber -01.75° +/-.50°
Max Diff Should be 00.00° +/- 00.50°

So it seems the toe especially was away off on all wheels, no wonder the car was starting to feel uncomfortable on the motorway.

Only other thing was the caster was off on the front but they can't adjust that and I dont think it would make a huge difference.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.