failed MOT on hand brake efficiency but shoes look good??

scottuk

Oct 29, 2006
Hi just a quick question

But just doing things for the mot at the moment:

its failed on handbrake not efficient enough checked the shoes and look fine??

can you adjust the handbrake cable from under the car and could that be a problem? it goes up to 3 clicks on the lever thou..

Mckellar

i think you can adjust it from inside the car.

sit in the rear seats and the tail end of the centre console has 2 wee buttons that look like fake rear electric window switches..

1. gently lift them up using flat headed left handed screwdriver
2. that will allow you access to the handbrake
3. using a *i think* 10mm socket you can adjust the handbrake from there.
4. get a cup of tea and drink out of left handed mug and admire your handy work.

scottuk

Oct 29, 2006
i think you can adjust it from inside the car.

sit in the rear seats and the tail end of the centre console has 2 wee buttons that look like fake rear electric window switches..

1. gently lift them up using flat headed left handed screwdriver
2. that will allow you access to the handbrake
3. using a *i think* 10mm socket you can adjust the handbrake from there.
4. get a cup of tea and drink out of left handed mug and admire your handy work.

Already done that well last year as the handbrake cable travelled too much.. its at the maximum adjustment now inside the car.. but thanks

Mckellar

need to follow the brake lines under the car then, and replace the back pads/drums

Electro Ted

GTi Ted
Dec 15, 2006
Wokingham, Berks
Mine did the same at an MOT last month.

Check the self adjustment mechanism on the calipers, mine was stuck plus I had a dodgy cable but could I get the right one? Hell no!

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
If you have shoes on the back, then im sure you can adjust it at the wheel. You'll need to take the wheel off and then through the holes (where the bolts that hold the wheel on go) if you look there a spring. All you have to do is pull it down. You'll have to use a really thin screw driver. If you have a haynes manual check it out on there.

scottuk

Oct 29, 2006
failed on the MOT retest.. took the drum to a car brake shop and said it looked fine and all the parts are working normally.. replaced the cylinders and shoes are new issue..??? confused.. so gonna take it to another garage.. give up lol

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.