fast road, track set up

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
yeah pretty strange. awesome is quite a way out for me. ill pro look into backdraft or JKm fitting them for me. i might even trey a dealership. they should have 3d alignment systems in there.

How are H&G tuning im not to far from paderborn. do they have the ability to set it up after fitting with 3d alignment??

They are profesional. On one stop system for tax free. You'l want to speak to Robert if your German isnt too good lol. +49 (0) 52 51 - 6 93 80 32

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
thanks mike ill look into that.

im quite interested to know though is if the audi TT ball joint can be fitted onto the std lower control arm,

looking at the pictures, the holes in each lower arm look to be in the same places as each other.

where as the ball joints are different. the std one has normal holes in, therefore not adjustable. the TT ball joint has elongated holes in it so it can be moved in and out as required.

If we could fit the TT ball joint onto our std arms that will save a fair wedge of money and give you the same efect.

The only other difference is the TT lower arms are aluminium and 8kg less apparently. I need to find out where my local audi garage is!!

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
thanks mike ill look into that.

im quite interested to know though is if the audi TT ball joint can be fitted onto the std lower control arm,

If we could fit the TT ball joint onto our std arms that will save a fair wedge of money and give you the same efect.

The only other difference is the TT lower arms are aluminium and 8kg less apparently. I need to find out where my local audi garage is!!

I like your thinking!!!!!
I have a set Cupra arms....... with TT ball joints waiting to go on the car when I get time to get it in to a Garage. They are not a direct fit by the way and anyone else trying this will be doing it at their own risk.
2 of the bolt holes lign up perfectly. The other is out by just over 3mm and I have carefuly elongated the hole with a round file so a 10mm bolt drops in neatly. They are also non-adjustable as you will see when i finally work out how to post pictures on here. A tiny amount of material had to be removed from the lower arm also. I am happy with the fit and finnish and am confident that the strength of the components has not been compromised.
Cupra arms are aluminium so no weight saving there. I picked mine up off ebay for £20.
The ball joints are £73inc vat from audi with no discount.

Can anyone tell me how to post pics? or I can email the pics to ya if thats easier!!!

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
I have a set Cupra arms....... with TT ball joints waiting to go on the car when I get time to get it in to a Garage. They are not a direct fit by the way and anyone else trying this will be doing it at their own risk.
2 of the bolt holes lign up perfectly. The other is out by just over 3mm and I have carefuly elongated the hole with a round file so a 10mm bolt drops in neatly. They are also non-adjustable as you will see when i finally work out how to post pictures on here. A tiny amount of material had to be removed from the lower arm also. I am happy with the fit and finnish and am confident that the strength of the components has not been compromised.
Cupra arms are aluminium so no weight saving there. I picked mine up off ebay for £20.

Can anyone tell me how to post pics? or I can email the pics to ya if thats easier!!!

If you upload the pics to photobucket website you will be able to copy and paste the

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007

No weight saving? :(

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
i didnt realise the cupra had different bars. also what model TT havethe ball joints come off, as the mk1 had elongated holes on the lower arm itself, whereas the mk2 has the elongated holes on the ball joint IIRC

if the holes dont line up then, ill e buying new lower arms. i work of the do it nice or do it twice rule. but fair play to you for having a go.

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
i didnt realise the cupra had different bars. also what TT have they came off, as the mk1 had elongated holes on the lower arm itself, whereas the mk2 has the elongated holes on the ball joint IIRC

if the holes dont line up then, ill e buying new lower arms. i work of the do it nice or do it twice rule. but fair play to you for having a go.

+1 My thoughts. Respect for investigating and modifying. Cant help but want the TT arms still for a 'propper' job

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
Haha. So you still achieve the -0.5 camber?

I may be wrong here, but I have taken measurements and doing a quick calculation I think the camber will end up at more like -2 degrees which will give optimum grip with minimal tyre wear.
The photos are in photobucket, just cant seem to get them onto here.
Will pm you my email address Mike, email me and I will send the pics to you to post on here.
Im rubbish with computers!!!!

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
i didnt realise the cupra had different bars. also what model TT havethe ball joints come off, as the mk1 had elongated holes on the lower arm itself, whereas the mk2 has the elongated holes on the ball joint IIRC

The lower arms i have were kicking around in the garage so I had easy access to measure and modify etc.
The ball joints are deffinatey from a mk2 TT. You will see when I get the pics up

With the prices that you are quoting and if you have the money then DEFFO go for the TT arm and ball joint setup. There will be no extra time spent pfaffing around. The prices for the parts over here are more towards the £400 mark from what I can gather!!!!

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
^^^^^^^About The Photos Above^^^^^^^^^

In no WAY!!! am I reccommending this to anyone!!!!

Dont Try This at Home Kids!!!!

Dont be a cheapscate like me and buy the right bits!!!!!

I originally bought the cupra bottom arms to improve the choppy ride of the Leon TFSI Sport. The original steel ones are quite heavy, and alloy arms reduce unsprung weight. An Ebay bargain for £20.
I purchased the TT ball joints in the hope that they would be a direct fit. They were not an exact fit but it was apparent that 2 holes did line up perfectly and this positioned the ball joint correctly.
Opening the 3rd slotted hole up slightly, allowed the M10 high tensile bolts to marry the Cupra arm/TT ball joint together.
I am V happy with the finnished product.

PIC 1: shows the new TT ball joints.

PIC 2: shows a close up of the one hole on each ball joint that neede to be extended by 3mm.

PIC 3: shows the small amount of material needed to be removed from the bottom arm.

PIC 4: shows how the different location of the 3rd bolt makes this setup non-adjustable.

PIC 5: shows the underside of the new hybrid bottom arm. The ball joint is at the point as the standsard one, just further out (by about 15mm approx. Its difficult to measure exact dimensions under the car with a tape measure)

Thanks for getting the pics up for me Mike.
At the moment I think the new ball joints will give in total around -2deg camber.
There is no way of knowing till they are on and the alignment checked...........Fingers crossed

Last edited:

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
So its one of the side holes that you had to have drilled. it looks as if the ball joint isnt straight, could just be my eyes though

There doesn't appear to be much material removed in opening the slot and it doesn't look like it would weaken it, i presume its cast alloy anyway so would have been checked for cracks. I would have thought that even if the modified hole did form a crack the other two would hold it sufficiently anyway ?

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
So its one of the side holes that you had to have drilled. it looks as if the ball joint isnt straight, could just be my eyes though

Its not just your eyes my friend. The plate that bolts to the arm is straight, the ball joint is offcentre. This is the same with the original ball joints, they sit much closer to the front bolt hole.

They will be getting fitted later this week and tested at croft circuit on Sunday. Im sure they are perfectly OK but it will be nice to give them a thorough testing for peace of mind.

The prices you and Mike are able to get the complete TT setup for is a steal. You should go for it. I think you must have been informed that the TTarms only give an extra -0.5 deg. Im not 100% sure but I think they will give more from what I have been told. With a standard suspension setup, extending the arms by 10mm will give approx 1 degree negative camber.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
more is good, more is good:D

the 0.5 degree figure has come from a guy on the mk5 forum, who has it on his. JonnyC

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
There is a thread with some good info on this TT arm setup over on Audisport .net. I just bumped it up to the top so it will be easy to spot.
I hope you dont have a reduced offset or megga-low suspension as arch rubbing could be an issue. With standard wheels this should not be a problem though:)

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
im only lowered about 30mm got a couple fingers space above the wheels, so not to bad. i will have a look at the audi sport forum now. cheers

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members