fast road, track set up

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
im after setting up my car for road and track.

I frequent the nurburgring a few times a month(bonus of working abroad:D, so i cant set it up for smooth tracks, and this is also an everyday car that my wife drives, so i have to cut a fine balance.:shrug:

I currently have corner weighted AP coilovers, WALK, eibach front and rear ARBs, and am after an even crisper turn in.

I dont want to have stiffer ARBs as it wil become to jiddery on lumpy surfaces at speed, plus they work great at controling the roll.

On my list of things im looking into maybe buying I have

1-Wheel spacers- not to sure of how big is worthwhile or needed though
2-Quaife, or pelequin LS, not sure which is best though

3-some form of additional negative camber
from one of the folowing
a-morego power grip wishbone, -1.75degree camber, non adjustable
b-Mk2 Audi TT lower support arms, additional -0.5 degree camber adjustable
c-adjustable Top mounts for caster and camber

anybody had experiences with the above that they could share or any other input that they could pass on please

cheers guys

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
Considered tt lower arms myself, will keep an eye on this :)

Does the -.5 neg camber have a bad effect on tyre wear? Tryin to get to the track more but this is my daily and already expensive to maintain, dont need o be buying tyres even more often haha

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
i dont think so. if the TT has it as standard i guess it would be good.

I think those arms will be excellent, and when combined with the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit which gives you dynamic camber on turn in as a result of the 0.5 degree Caster increase it provides, will produce a very nice handling car.

are there any suspension guru's on here that could give hints.

ive already had a fiddle with different settings on my eibach ARBs, I now have the Rear bar on stiffest setting and Front on its softest setting gave an improved cornering, in comparison with them both on their stiffest setting

Last edited:

Poverty

doesnt the kw v1's offer camber and toe adjustement etc?

I suppose you could give VW racing a call and see what they say as they are one of the more experienced companies in this department?

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
I have the WALK it just isnt fitted yet, im waiting till i get the front camber option sorted then get them fitted together to save paying for tracking and labour twice.

i have however driven one with WALK, and it is very very good. more weight in the steering, and a lot more traction in cornering, and holds the road well when it gets bumpy

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
doesnt the kw v1's offer camber and toe adjustement etc?

I suppose you could give VW racing a call and see what they say as they are one of the more experienced companies in this department?

the KW do top mounts also but i believe you order them seperate.
i know K-MAC, KW, are fully adjustable for caster and camber but cost an arm and a leg.

AST do top mounts that are only camber adjustable upto -2 degrees camber. caster is fixed at standard spec. these are 250+vat.

i am really liking the look of the TT arms, as they are OEM, lighter and adjustable.

i believe standard spec is -0.8 degrees front camber, the TT arms give an additional -0.5 degrees, plus however much your cars geometry has changed after lowering. So i think you could be achieving around -1.3 to -1.5 degrees camber. which will be a very good improvement, and will prob not effect tyre wear much at all.

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
Does anyone have the part number for the TT lower arms? Or specifically which TT to get them off?

Thanks

Lower arms : 8J0 407 151 (same part number both sides)
Ball Joint : 8J0 407 365/366

There is a guy on Audisport.net that has fitted these and said they will give up to 2.5 degrees negative camber.
He also stated that they transformed the handling of his A3 TFSI and was very happy with the results

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
ball joint lock plate (8J0 407 175,176) this is also needed

the other part numbers are spot on.

- 2.5degrees???? that is all down to what camber your car is running on the front prior to fitting the TT lower arms, his might be mega low etc or running different camber than our cars as standard. either way it is an additional -0.5 degrees.

Does anybody have the prices of the TT lower arms etc.

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
ball joint lock plate (8J0 407 175,176) this is also needed

the other part numbers are spot on.

- 2.5degrees???? that is all down to what camber your car is running on the front prior to fitting the TT lower arms, his might be mega low etc or running different camber than our cars as standard. either way it is an additional -0.5 degrees.

Does anybody have the prices of the TT lower arms etc.

Im getting a quote on my lunch will let you know ;)

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
thats not a bad price.

ill also be getting the tax off them. im down at JHQ. problem is now finding a decent garage to fit them and set up the geometry over here. which considering my german is limited to ordering booze or food could be awkward

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
thats not a bad price.

ill also be getting the tax off them. im down at JHQ. problem is now finding a decent garage to fit them and set up the geometry over here. which considering my german is limited to ordering booze or food could be awkward

Coincidece, haha. I use H & G tuning in paderborn, or bring the parts home and get them fitted at awesome gti.

The parts guy didnt speak a word of english, my germans commin on well :D

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
yeah pretty strange. awesome is quite a way out for me. ill pro look into backdraft or JKm fitting them for me. i might even trey a dealership. they should have 3d alignment systems in there.

How are H&G tuning im not to far from paderborn. do they have the ability to set it up after fitting with 3d alignment??

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members