Fault code 17911 query

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Hi everyone (again)

The following code has started to appear (have re-set / cleared it a couple of times now).

17911/P1503 - Load signal from alternator term. DF: Range/Performance/Implausible signal

Now I've had a look at several other threads about this and have seen that the following happens to folks:

- Battery light fails to come on when you switch ignition on
- TC/ESP warning light comes on after about 10 minutes

Well neither of these happens to me and can't see any apparent symptom etc. being manifested. Other than a slight hot start problem, which I think is down to a faulty G62 sensor (which I'm getting replaced soon).

So... anything to worry about do you think?

Alternator was replaced with a new one a couple of years back (as it was FUBAR). Charging gauge in car looks OK and battery seems fine (not bad for original 7 year old battery).

The other thing I've seen mentioned, is about the broken wire under the battery compartment. Do folks still think this is worth checking??? As I would have thought if this was broken, I would be seeing a problem!

If I do want to check this. Can I get the plastic under tray off by just jacking it up and using axle stands? As there is not much clearance under the car.

Thanks in advance.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd still think that you should check the wiring that is mentioned, at start up, if you don't raise the engine speed above 1200RPM, does the alternator still charge the battery? Your wire might just be starting to break strand by strand so its resistance will be increasing gradually - but eventually it will break and give you charging problems - that is assumming this problem is this sense wire. As your car is a 130TDI, it certainly fits in with what others have found to be the problem.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
The other thing I've seen mentioned, is about the broken wire under the battery compartment. Do folks still think this is worth checking??? As I would have thought if this was broken, I would be seeing a problem!

If I do want to check this. Can I get the plastic under tray off by just jacking it up and using axle stands? As there is not much clearance under the car.

Thanks in advance.

The wire - or two wires to be exact are not UNDER the battery - you can see them looking from the top with the bonnet up.

look just below the radiator bottom hose in front of the gearbox - you should see two wires going in to a plug. These are normally just long enough and slightly stressed.

Wiggle them about slightly and see if they snap completely - if they do - get out the soldering iron. ( it's much easier to fix from below with the tray off.

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
at start up, if you don't raise the engine speed above 1200RPM, does the alternator still charge the battery?

Volt meter in car seems to imply that full charging is occurring right from tick over.

Not had time to take a look this afternoon as too busy. I'll dig out a torch and see if I can find the mentioned wire/s and give them a wiggle tomorrow.

TBC

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Well... Just spent the best part f half an hour peering under my bonnet. Even with the plastic engine cover removed and a 1,000,000 candle power torch. I can't see anything that looks like the widget in the pictures in the thread mentioned above. I'm assuming the pictures in the thread mentioned above, are taken from under the car. So finding it difficult to orientate myself from above using them.

I can follow the bottom hose from the engine and there is a wiring loom running along it but the only place it starts to split, is where it heads under the box the battery is in! Certainly can't see any bracket with a connector on.

Anyone got a picture showing approx. where it is from above (so to speak).

Or failing that. Can someone orientate me from what looks like the clutch actuating lever (well I'm assuming that is what it is).

Otherwise it's jack up one side of the car, take wheel off and see if I can get the plastic under tray off. And got to admit, I'm not too keen being under cars on axle stands (pretty much since a neighbour of mine while I was living in Birmingham a few years back, was crushed to death when his car fell on him!).

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.