Fault code, oxygen sensor

27_craig

Apr 2, 2011
Wiltshire
Hello, had engine light come on today, used my vag code reader and got code 17588 which is not listed in the book that came with reader. Typed in to google and a lot of sites say it's something to do with oxygen sensor? But which one? Have erased code and so far light not come back on? Any help much appreciated. Cheers

ibiza20vt

Nov 2, 2011
Usually will say upstream or downstream , otherwise try unplugging one running it and reading the faults , if you get an extra fault you know it's the other sensor .

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That code is for the precat lambda sensor, either its u/s or the wiring is - my experience with this problem is that the precat lambda probe needs to be replaced, and, a VAG dealer is the best place to get the original spec device. I've priced OEM ones online but with p&p the dealer came out on top - just. Plus they will only supply the Japanese made (NGK company probably called NTK for that batch of productions, ie lambda sensors and glow plugs). Cost will be roughly £100 and its hidden under the manucat. Again, in my experience this device will get worse and eventually fail continuously within a few weeks. Once you clear the fault, it will only show up again once the engine has heated up as this probe is ignored when the engine is cold.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes, it is called S1 and that is screwed into the manucat which is the first cat in the exhaust. Normally you can remove it with an open ended spanner from below - you might need a couple of different makes of spanners to make use of the limited space available. I'm not sure if taking the heat shield off the manucat helps (its too long ago since I did that job).

Manucat is the generic name for the lump that is the exhaust manifold and cat rolled into one unit.

Last edited:

27_craig

Apr 2, 2011
Wiltshire
Light still not come back on after I erased code 2 weeks ago, anyone know why it came on in first place if no fault there? Cheers

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Light still not come back on after I erased code 2 weeks ago, anyone know why it came on in first place if no fault there? Cheers

As I said, it will probably get worse over the next few weeks, if not then you have been lucky. I've forgotten exactly what that code is for, maybe look it up yourself, but, I'd reckon that it will a mechanical problem with that probe's connector (dry or breaking) or a mechanical failure within the Lambda probe S1 (either a wiring link failing or shorting out) - time will tell, but from my limited experience, the connector, if "made" correctly (fully mated), should not be causing any problems.

27_craig

Apr 2, 2011
Wiltshire
Ok thanks, been told I only have 1 O2 sensor on this car , engine code bbz?? Does that sound right? Wheres best place to get replacement?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I could be wrong, but, I'd be surprised if a BBZ engine only had one sensor, I'd guess that both the BBY and BBZ engines to be certified to the same EU emissions spec, and that would mean both a precat control sensor and a post cat monitoring sensor. My wife's car has a BBY engine and it has two sensors as described above.

27_craig

Apr 2, 2011
Wiltshire
Ok thanks, will have look for them tomorrow! Where do u think the best place to get is? Is the precat s1 one easy to replace?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Ok thanks, will have look for them tomorrow! Where do u think the best place to get is? Is the precat s1 one easy to replace?

I'd say at a VAG dealer, preferably a Seat one though any other VAG place would tie your engine type and number to the correct part. I found that my one was not too tight at all, so could be removed using an open ended spanner - limited access though. If you are not getting any more warnings then why not leave it until you start to get frequent warnings.

27_craig

Apr 2, 2011
Wiltshire
Well going past a seat dealer tomorrow so will probably pop in and try and get one, wanna get done ASAP really as have noticed a drop in fuel consumption and little bit hesitant sometimes when pullin away!

27_craig

Apr 2, 2011
Wiltshire
Hello! Never changed oxygen sensor and Engine management light still not returned after putting it out with a vag com?? Been weeks and weeks now, any ideas? Car seems to be running spot on!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well, as long as the car is "A1" why bother doing any thing, if or when the probe fails again it might start failing in the normal way, ie a lot more frequently, that will be the time to sort it out.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Oh I don't know about that, my wife's BBY engined Polo throws up a "camshaft position error" code once every 6 months and that engine does not have a camshaft sensor!

27_craig

Apr 2, 2011
Wiltshire
Hello all, my engine management light has come back on and it's the linear O2 sensor that needs replacing so will need to get it done now! Found some online Ngk ones but unsure on the length of it? There are several different lengths come up? Also is this sensor the one at front screwed into manifold??

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hello all, my engine management light has come back on and it's the linear O2 sensor that needs replacing so will need to get it done now! Found some online Ngk ones but unsure on the length of it? There are several different lengths come up? Also is this sensor the one at front screwed into manifold??

Right, you must get the fault code read properly, "it's the linear O2 sensor that needs replacing" is not concise enough as there is probably two fitted to that car. Once you have found that out then you can buy the correct one, as I've said before, you will probably find that the dealer is just as cheap and it will be correct without you doing the guessing.

Though it must be said that its a very good chance that its the pre cat one ie "bank1 S1" .

Last edited:

27_craig

Apr 2, 2011
Wiltshire
My new O2 sensor arrived today, now just gotta fit it! Anyone fitted one before if so are they easy to fit, any tips for me?? It's the front one in the exhaust manifold I'm replacing! Any help much appreciated.

Mar 27, 2021
I am a mechanic and i have a problem with seat ibiza 1.4 BBY Engine.
I have a fault code 17588 lambada senzor
the engine is very good at idiling like 900rpm steady
But after some time it just wont start
if it wont start i just plug in diagnostics and delete the code, and it starts no problem
sry my english bad
Is it the senzor or something else??

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise