Feedback - SEAT Leon Supercopa UK need your help!

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I spoke last week with Andrew Crighton who is the lead organiser for what is hopefully the upcoming 2009 SEAT Leon Supercopa UK.

Info here if you missed the news - http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1041&Itemid=1

Andrew is very keen to involve SCN and its members in suppoorting the race meetings this year.

But he's also trying to come up with ideas to increase the interest level for those that may not have interest in the racing alone. Obviously for the die-hard motorsport fans it's less of an issue.

He's had experience of VW car clubs through his son whom was involved on a member level at least with the No Rice meets, and Andrew tagged along and went to a few meets with his son. He also mentioned Time Attack, as kind of event that has inspired ideas.

I explained we are not a cruise site and he agrees this is an advantage because as we know that tends to carry better credibility and have less of the undesirable element that can go with some of the MaccyD's generation.

But its true that we do have a population of members whom are more concerned about how low their car is and how loud their sound system might be :cartman: We also have an equally important group who are into the motorsport, and into performance mods, plus many more who will never mod their car. They would like to make it an attraction for all tastes.

He has suggested they can put on show and shine / best club car to help draw in some of the folks that might not be attracted just by the motorsport element alone (McD's generation). Even if members treated it as a social aspect it would be opportunities for good meets.

Special Tuning UK are now official SEAT Sport parts distributors, Andrew said there could now be scope for race parts sales to the public. (I'm sure it won't be cheap) but the option is there and they seem keen to attract that business element.

He also suggested one of the things that may well be possible at these quieter race meetings, that during a lunch break the forum members could take to the track for a prosession. (Speeds would of course be strictly limited, but it would be a great experience for people to drive their own car on a circuit in procession in front of the crowds).

The series looks to be sharing on the most part the Formula Palmer Audi race weekends, with Castle Combe being an exception where the SEAT's would be top billing.

The current provisional calendar includes:
18 - 19 April Donington Park National
4 May Castle Combe
16 - 17 May Anglesey International
06 - 07 June Silverstone National
18 - 19 July Brands Hatch GP Circuit - SEAT Eurocup/World Touring Car Championship
08 August Oulton Park Island
22 - 23 September Snetterton
03 - 04 October Spa Francorchamps - The Racing Festival
24 - 25 October Brands Hatch Indy

Andrew is looking for any other ideas or suggestions and a level of interest from us to help make it happen.

They are looking to attract interest to get people coming to the racing, which is understandable as they won't have the funding or marketing power as a BTCC weekend. So they are looking at every avenue to bring people to the racing.

Unlike a BTCC meeting there would be no limits on the numbers because these race meetings won't compete in terms of BTCC crowd numbers. So we should be able to put on big displays and meets.

He appears genuinely sincere and interested in making this series a success and getting us involved in it.

So please fire your ideas in this thread folks, and if we can come up with some suggestions. ideas etc I can pass all this info on.

With no official SEAT racing taking place now, it's within our power to help support this series and keep SEAT's racing on a national level.

Last edited:

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
"He also suggested one of the things that may well be possible at these quieter race meetings, that during a lunch break the forum members could take to the track for a prosession. (Speeds would of course be strictly limited, but it would be a great experience for people to drive their own car on a circuit in procession in front of the crowds)."

Now this I like, was a bit jealous at 2008 BTCC finals day, when the Honda procession took to the track at lunchtime.

In a controlled way, this would be awesome.

I'll definitely be at Snetterton, as its only 30mins from me

Oh, and as said, apart from the support race for WTCC, parking wouldn't be and issue, so definitely all for SCN area, trackside, prime parking/viewing

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I'm not sure if it would be a bit difficult for the team, but I've always been interested as much with what goes on inside the garage as what happens on the tarmac loop. Could supporters get test day access to garages and the opportunity to see the in's and out's of what goes on inside a small / medium size racing outfit. Appreciate there may be confidentiality considerations, but I'd take a day off work to see a day in the life inside the garages / back end of a working team. I appreciate its a big resource effort for them, but for die hard fans would be quite interesting.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Its a shame the WTCC meet clashes with the SCN meet. Sounds good though... i'll let you know if i have any idea's.
Free giveaways is always a crowd pleaser :D

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I'm not sure if it would be a bit difficult for the team, but I've always been interested as much with what goes on inside the garage as what happens on the tarmac loop. I appreciate its a big resource effort for them, but for die hard fans would be quite interesting.

been there and done that with the WRC team and yes it is very interesting

good idea

andycupra

status subject to change
Special Tuning UK are now official SEAT Sport parts distributors, Andrew said there could now be scope for race parts sales to the public. (I'm sure it won't be cheap) but the option is there and they seem keen to attract that business element.
Im sure alot of member would be interested in 'road use friendly mods', such as race derived air-intakes etc, and while SCN is not a 'cruise forum' im sure some suttle body work parts such as slitters would go down well.

It would be fantastic if some lucky members get to spend some time with the teams behind the scenes, but im sure there would be massive demand for this.

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
As you may of gathered from recent news articles the new SEAT Leon Supercopa UK has now had a blessing from SEAT UK with the addition of a great prize fund up for grabs.

http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1064&Itemid=1

The organisers are still very keen to see us attend as many of these race meetings as we can, to give our support.

The race dates are as follows.

18 - 19 April Donington Park National (Leicestershire)
4 May Castle Combe (Wiltshire)
16 - 17 May Anglesey International (Wales)
06 - 07 June Silverstone National (Northamptonshire)
18 - 19 July Brands Hatch GP Circuit - World Touring Car Championship (Kent)
08 August Oulton Park Island (Cheshire)
22 - 23 September Snetterton (Norfolk)
03 - 04 October Spa Francorchamps - The Racing Festival (Belgium)
24 - 25 October Brands Hatch Indy (Kent)

Obviously the 18-19th July falls on the weekend of our national meet, but there are ample opportunities throughout the year for some good meets around the country. It would be great for members to get together and enjoy some good racing.

(as yet to be confirmed) During the summer dates there will be show and shine events with small prizes supplied by a race team sponsor for the best cars, more details as they are known.

One of the drivers to commit to the series is Tim Crighton , and in due course SCN intend to setup a dedicated section of the forum for Tim to blog his season. Tim has been looking in on this thread and is open to suggestions and feedback regarding aspects of the new race series.

http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1066&Itemid=1

FSiLeonMike

Apr 26, 2007
Z, how will the SCN areas be organised locally for each meeting?

For example, Snetterton, in rather rural Norfolk probably doesn't have too much in the way of admins/mods living near by, and although the Supercopa has my full support, I suspect it will not be followed in thesame way the BTCC was when SEAT were present as a works team.

Are you guys gonna travel to a lot of these and set something up?

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Sounds great. Will get my thinking cap on for ideas, but a lot of the ones suggested already sound really positive. Looking forward to this and a great opportunity for people to show their support for the brand.

Scott

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Z, how will the SCN areas be organised locally for each meeting?

For example, Snetterton, in rather rural Norfolk probably doesn't have too much in the way of admins/mods living near by, and although the Supercopa has my full support, I suspect it will not be followed in thesame way the BTCC was when SEAT were present as a works team.

Are you guys gonna travel to a lot of these and set something up?

Kind of hoping the emphasis was on members to do something for themselves. :)

I'm going to try and get to my local ones, such as Donington, Oulton and i like the idea of a jaunt over to Anglesey too. But I've too much on this year as it is to be all over the place.

I'm kind of hoping that people can organise themselves a little bit and go along to some meets.

I wouldn't expect there to be the requirement to pre-plan it so much like the BTCC events, the event organisers hopefully can set some provision aside for us to have group parking.

I don't expect them to see the numbers of spectators at an average BTCC meet anyway, so doubtful parking would be at a premium.

Without SEAT Sport helping swing the circuit management, I doubt we'll get anything like this access at future BTCC rounds, even though some independents will be running SEAT's

Last edited:

FSiLeonMike

Apr 26, 2007
Kind of hoping the emphasis was on members to do something for themselves. :).............I'm kind of hoping that people can organise themselves a little bit and go along to some meets..............................................

I'm sure we could think about one of our Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex meets to coincide with the Snetterton round in September.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I think they would be a good alternative to a Sunday pub meet or McDonalds ;)

If it's a nice day weather wise it would be good for a picnic too with the family.

Good local meet opportunity with SEAT's racing, and less crowds that you would associate with the BTCC, actually make it more relaxing and interesting to get amongst the cars in the paddock.

Timthebrief

Barmy Army sleeper cell
Currently planning to go to WTCC at Brands rather than the National meet (see you there Tris).

If it were possible for SEAT to organise some South Bank parking (via Supercopa or the WTCC Team) we would still make a small but visible & noisy presence in our usual spot,:flag: even if half the Barmy Army are at the National Meet. :drunk:

For other meetings finances permitting I suspect the Barmy Army would be up for Group parking and the chance to convoy on track would certainly be entertaining for motorsport fans and for the show and shine and modding brigade.

It should be possible to organise group parking on a more local basis so long as SUPERCOPA can get the circuits to play ball. Without major numbers restrictions and suitable passes printed off the computer rather than all the posting out faff it should be easier to organise.

tris

The Daddy
Feb 25, 2005
Kent & Track Days
www.leoncupra.net
Currently planning to go to WTCC at Brands rather than the National meet (see you there Tris).

If it were possible for SEAT to organise some South Bank parking (via Supercopa or the WTCC Team) we would still make a small but visible & noisy presence in our usual spot,:flag: even if half the Barmy Army are at the National Meet. :drunk:

For other meetings finances permitting I suspect the Barmy Army would be up for Group parking and the chance to convoy on track would certainly be entertaining for motorsport fans and for the show and shine and modding brigade.

It should be possible to organise group parking on a more local basis so long as SUPERCOPA can get the circuits to play ball. Without major numbers restrictions and suitable passes printed off the computer rather than all the posting out faff it should be easier to organise.

Even if they cant I'm sure we can still get to park all together

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.