final fix rattle

gb

here and there
Feb 27, 2007
portglasgow
had a rattle for a while on my lcr and couldnt figure out what it was:( and was told it could be bushes , steering rack , ball joint etc final got to the bottom of the problem it was the ball joint . there was hardly any play in it and the car passed its MOT but it didnt half rattle so than god its fixed and cost me loads:D

cuprakitty

May 1, 2007
Wolves, West Midlands
What kind of rattle was it? (metallic? tinny? muffled?) And just how audible?

My LC has a just-audible but nonetheless resonant rattling/knocking sound that isn't going away and that I can't figure out as yet. It's irritating and worrying...

gb

here and there
Feb 27, 2007
portglasgow
What kind of rattle was it? (metallic? tinny? muffled?) And just how audible?

My LC has a just-audible but nonetheless resonant rattling/knocking sound that isn't going away and that I can't figure out as yet. It's irritating and worrying...

i only seemed to get it going round a right hand corner at first then if i hit any bump on the left side of the car and it sounded as if the wheel was loose or the shocker just like knocking/rattle .hope this helps:D

cuprakitty

May 1, 2007
Wolves, West Midlands
Thanks for the additional info - I don't notice the noise is worse when cornering either way particularly, but uneven road surfaces (like that very textured red tarmac at junctions, or most of the roads in Wolverhampton...) really exaccerbate it. On a smoothish surface it's barely there. It's coming from the rear offside direction.

This is another potential cause into the mix for me then - we've ruled out uneven tyre wear, but your description sounds very similar, as do some of the reported symptoms of wheel bearing troubles.

When you say the ball joint cost you loads, what kind of loads did it cost (if you don't mind me asking)?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.