Finally ordered my HID's and dog bone

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
AS the title suggests I have finally ordered my HID's and dog bone bush today. Got a bit bored and the debit card was within reach when I was at the computer whoops!

I can't wait for the bits to arrive!

Just a couple questions....firstly regarding the HID, I've gone for 6000k and got some led side lights also on order, but can anyone recommend some full beam bulbs which are closeish in colour but not HID aswell (as my wallet wont strech that far he he!)

Also when it comes to fitting the dog bone bush....is it easily doable at home or is it a garage type job?

Cheers

Cupraloon

Dog bone is a piece of preverbial to do, stick the front on ramps you can do the mount in about 30 minutes all told, the hardest bit i found was actually getting the centre bolt in the mount with the new poly bush in place.

The way i did it was clamp it in a vice so there is enough to get the bolt in then torque it up to 20ft lbs with a bit of thread lock, same with all the other bolt's.

I rechecked mine only last week as i was getting a bit of vibe and one of the bolts was a bit loose, so thread lock 'em to start with it'll save doing it again in a few weeks, like i had to....

Clicky -->http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=130500

Last edited by a moderator:

Cupraloon

cool thanks for the tips, is it fairly self explanitory when looking at it and with instructions?

is the clamp to compress it?

Yeah.. depending on your vice if it opens wide enough, the mount will just go in the vice and then just tighten the vice till you have compressed the poly bush enough to get the centre bolt in and thighened up...

Cupraloon

From my other post fitting dogbone mount...

Heres a pic of the dog bone mount, there are 2 bolts holding it to the subframe at the back, and 2 at the front holding it to the bottom of the gearbox.

Undo the 2 bolts under the gearbox first then the 2 on the subframe, then it just drops out, the middle bolt holding the mount is'nt very tight, hold it in a vice.

When putting the new poly bushes in, put it all back together and you can compress the poly mount in a vice about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and you can push the centre bolt back in enough to undo the vice and tighten the centre bolt up with a spaner or socket wrench, then stick the mount back on the car in reverse to removal, do the back/subframe bolts up to a torque of 20 ft lbs first then the g/box ones to 33 ft lbs, job... jobbed, in about 30 minutes.

Lowerbrace1.jpg

Can't remember where i got this pic, but it isn't my car....

Last edited by a moderator:

Cupraloon

remove the mount from car, dissasemble the old bush,

Put in new poly bush

Put in vice and clamp up to get centre bolt in and torque to 20ft lbs (thread lock)

Put mount back on car do up rear most bolts to subframe almost tight don't forget the thread lock

Put in the two front mount bolts almost tight, again with thread lock

Then torque up the rear most bolts, to 20ft lbs

Then torque up the two front mount bolts on the gearbox to 30 ft lbs

Then stand back and admire..... in a job well done ;)

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
ah quality sounds good then! thanks for your help...cant wait to get it!just hope there isn;t another postal strike before mine is delivered!

The only other thing Ive read about people having a bit of vibration after fitting this, I'm assuming thats because theres was not torqued up right?

Cupraloon

Yeah, mine still vibes a bit, i rechecked it last week and one on the subframe bolts was a tad loose, re fitted the mount with thread lock and torqued it all up again, properly...

And it still vibes..... but not as much as it did when first fitted, my only conclusion is because the bush has less give in it than the standard rubber one thats why it's a little bit vibey thru the drive chain...

It's not unbearable tho' and for the beneifits it gives well worth a little bit of vibration...

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
No even when torqued correctly
This is because this bush is stiffer and transfers the vibs from engine
Small price for the benifits:)
What he said

Cupraloon

No, I've got it when driving along at lower town speeds don't notice it so much at motorway speeds probably cos' road noise is worse so the mount vibe is lessend, i think...

Cupraloon

I don't think you need to be worried about it tbh, it not that bad, and certainly not as bad as my old 306 which was fully polybushed even the exhaust mounts that was really hard on the road and very vibey on the motorway, by comparison...