Finished Car PC Build & Install

Richeh

Finally finished building a car pc for my mate.

Information and pics can be found here

**** More photos Added *****

Last edited by a moderator:

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Very impresive. Do these headunits with the screens that fold out have a removable fascia?

paul26982

quality m8, cost extra nowt too, you should build and sell them, id have one

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Looking great! Is it hard to run the pc through the pioneer unit?
I wanted to do this a few years back but cost of the double din dash etc put me off (was going to use a touch screen monitor) so i went for th avic x1r. If i can run a pc through it tho that would be graet! Any info would be blinding cheers fella

Richeh

Unfortunately the head unit is touch screen, but there is no output to make it work with the PC, which is the only let-down. However there is a USB hub in the glove box which he plugs a mini keyboard and mouse in.

There is also a Media Centre remote control which can control most the functions.

Wiring it up was not that hard. The head unit has an audio & video input which we plugged the PC in to. (Composite Video in & Stereo phono in)

I work for the council in the I.T dept can you can probably guess.

The head unit has a removable fascia which is just under the screen.

I will post a couple more pictures later on.

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
very nice, cooling might be an issue if you have only one fan (cpu fan) and no ducting to remove hot air though. Disc 2 lol hope thats documents and files n there and nothing else :D haha
as I said very nice, did you run all cables along the sides of the chairs with no cutting/drilling of the dash?

daniel_owen_uk

Aug 24, 2006
Chesterfield
You know it's his pr0n folder :)

Very nice though m8, doubt heat with be that much of an issue the CPU is specifically very low power usage (and thus low heat) lot of people use them for HTPC.

When I get some cash I might go down this route, be ace to have wireless and just sync with the car.

Edit- Any reason you didn't just drop a bluetooth dongle on their for KB, Mouse & GPS?

Would have been a neater solution IMO?

Last edited:

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
daniel, im not saying itll catch fire but every component in a pc emits heat, there is no psu fans or outlets for hot air, even something as simple as a hole in the bottom and one out the top will get the aqir moving a little for the sake of reliability.
(the hdd looks well mounted btw, less likely to die of excess g's than a horizontally mounted one)

Richeh

When we were building the case we were worried about cooling, but the board gives out virtually no heat, neither does the power supply as it's already being fed 12v.
There is a very small amount of heat which the fan and vent sorts out nicely.

Richeh

The PC already has bluetooth and wireless :)

The keyboard and mouse was not bluetooth for cost, but may be an upgrade.

There are 3 banks of hole vents on the side of the case if you look closely :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
not bad mate - very similar in spec to my old one. Wish i had a decent hu with screen at the time though.
Those new HU's that are on mp3car.com forums look real sweet, if only they were a bit more reliable - I'd have had one!

Richeh

It cost around £200, then you have to buy your Microsoft OS licence :whistle:

The power unit is very intelligent, it puts the pc in to stand-by when the ignition is turned off and resumes it when the ignition is on. It monitors the battary's current, if it drops too much it completely cuts the power to the PC so the battary will never run flat (because of the PC anyway)

helms

Console Race Car Driver
Jan 30, 2005
Basingstoke
It cost around £200, then you have to buy your Microsoft OS licence :whistle:

The power unit is very intelligent, it puts the pc in to stand-by when the ignition is turned off and resumes it when the ignition is on. It monitors the battary's current, if it drops too much it completely cuts the power to the PC so the battary will never run flat (because of the PC anyway)

that is very very clever, what did you have to do about power inputs? im presuming ur not running a standard power supply on these? i presume its also got little ram in it because of the small apllications?
Shame about the touch screen thing, that would be cool!
i'd get a biometric scanner to. so when u get in, scan ur thumb print. make u feel like ur getting into the knight rider car every time...lol

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members