First time claying

D-Power

Oct 28, 2006
Newmarket
Going to try clay for the first time over easter. I've been using the two bucket method for some time now and occasionaly polish the car when i have the time/energy. Currently have Megs Nxt shampoo, Megs gold class polish and Autoglym SRP all sitting in the garage.
I'm confused about the use of waxes and sealants, so how do i finish this routine and are there any wax/sealant combined products to save time?? (glacier blue car if it matters.)

Wash
Rinse
Clay
Wash
Polish
....then

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
Only rule for Claying really is lots of lubrication to prevent marring... if the clay feels like its sticking to the paint then you dont have enough lube down.

Wash
Rinse
Clay while the car is still wet
Wash
Rinse
Dry
Polish then
Wax

Job done !

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
Do as you've suggested above, with the products you already have, then just add a wax.

I personally am a fan of Dodo Juice products, but there are hundreds of companies worth looking at. I have also used Collinite 476s which is a very long lasting wax and i will def use it again. Do a search on the net for some recommendations.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Only rule for Claying really is lots of lubrication to prevent marring... if the clay feels like its sticking to the paint then you dont have enough lube down.

Wash
Rinse
Clay while the car is still wet
Wash
Rinse
Dry
Polish then
Wax

Job done !

Thats my order :), but addition to that, i always clean the wheels before i start washing the cars bodywork.

D-Power

Oct 28, 2006
Newmarket
thanks for all your replies. Went for the quick option of going to halfrauds and went for the megs quick clay kit with NXT wax and quick detailer.
All i need now is some dry weather over easter!

demon_dan

Never used the megs one so I'm not sure how much clay you get but try and section it into 2 or 3 pieces, if you drop the clay just bin it coz it'll pick up dirt & crap and scratch your paintwork. When it gets dirty, fold it over and mold it again, I prefer to use it like a flattish pad that nearly covers 3 fingers. Don't press down on the clay, it should glide over your car to the point of you thinking it's probably not doing anything lol. Regarding the wax/sealant, have a look at "FinishKare 1000P Hi-Temp Sealant" it's nearer a wax than a sealant, put it on after you polish, you can seal your wheels with it as well :)

my_other_car

keep clay warm

and sometime dilute lube to make it last longer

PAULTDI67

Oct 21, 2009
sheffield s.yorkshire
Hi m8 me 2 goin 2 try clay 4 first time.seen pic's on here of results but never done it.what products anyone else used?thinkin blit hambler auto express rated it top&only need water as alube.y do u have 2use proper lube? ynot just water with all products?

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Personally I recommend the Bilt Hamber clay bars. For the same money (or less even) you can get a 200g clay bar rather than the 2x 50g bars you get in Megs Quik Detailer kits. I cut the 200g bar up into 2 pieces of 100g each, which feels about the right weight. 50g bars just don't last long enough.

You can use detailing spray or water. I would use water, but am currently using the detailing spray because I have some left over from a detailing kit I was bought.

D-Power

Oct 28, 2006
Newmarket
Thanks for all the replies.

Initially i was disapointed with the claying (working from roof down to door handles). Having seen pictures of clay bars covered I thought i was doing something wrong. Once i got onto the areas behind the wheel arches and the bootlid (notoriuos on Mk4's for collecting dirt) i was really impressed with the way it got rid of spots i'd never have shifted otherwise. You do have to work it a lot harder than i expected tho, maybe its just becuase megs clay is soft though?

re the post above I think you only need clay a car every few months really, and i used half of one of the 50g bars which means if even i clay the car every three months the megs clay will last me a year! Still got plenty of lube left as i was wetting the car prior to claying the area.

retrogrrl

Jun 17, 2009
I clay once in the spring (ie last weekend) & again about October time so I can get a good few layers of wax on to protect the paintwork over the winter :). I use Bilt Hamber and always found it a good clay at a decent price.

D-Power

Oct 28, 2006
Newmarket
agree with the posts above, no point skimping on clay as its a product that is used so sparingly. I went for the megs kit as it was recommended as beginner friendly, with hindsight i found it maybe a little soft as it struggled to move some tar spots i had.

Got new wheels now, off to give them a wax

F2 Ed

now has VAG com
Nov 5, 2006
www.superlite-wheels.com
agree with the posts above, no point skimping on clay as its a product that is used so sparingly. I went for the megs kit as it was recommended as beginner friendly, with hindsight i found it maybe a little soft as it struggled to move some tar spots i had.

Got new wheels now, off to give them a wax

The megs kit isnt very good imo. I now use sonus green & dodo juice lube and its loads better :)

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Personally I recommend the Bilt Hamber clay bars. For the same money (or less even) you can get a 200g clay bar rather than the 2x 50g bars you get in Megs Quik Detailer kits. I cut the 200g bar up into 2 pieces of 100g each, which feels about the right weight. 50g bars just don't last long enough.

You can use detailing spray or water. I would use water, but am currently using the detailing spray because I have some left over from a detailing kit I was bought.

I used the Bilt Hamber stuff for the first time on Saturday, after reading recommendations on Detailing World, and I have to say it's excellent stuff to work with, and the bonus is you can get away with just using water as a lube, although I used a mild/weak shampoo solution.

I cut the 200g bar into 50g lumps, and then alternate between 2 of them, keeping 1 in a cup of warm water, then when the one I'm using gets a bit hard, I swap them over.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.