Fitted air filter - terrible noise

Danny14

Hi,

I just fitted an induction kit to see what it would sound like before purchasing an expensive proper one - I got a cheap £10 one off ebay and fitted it, but after fitting it when putting my foot on the gas it revs up nicely but then when the revs go down theres a horrible sucking sound, it sounds like its sucking it loads of air like a ridiculous amount then when I turn the ignition off it lets off a pop sound which sounds like it comes from the turbo.

Is this normal and what are the consequences of the air filter letting in too much air?

Thanks.

Danny14

Haha tell me about it!

So a more expensive "proper" one wouldn't do this? Are the ones you mentioned like the K&N cone ones that are shown as induction kits?

I have read about smoothing out the existing air box? Which one, in your opinion, would give the better sound?

Danny14

Yeah I think I'll try that, just dont have the kind of money to buy a good induction kit and then fit it and know what I am doing, was only looking to spend about £60.

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
Yup, smoothed and drilled is the cheapest way, with a K&N or Green panel filter

I got a K&N 57i induction kit, which works ok (if you have a heat shield to stop heat soak), but was more expensive than smoothing and drilling

Only real gain I got was a throaty rumble on tick over, and a "bit" of a swoosh sound on acceleration

Danny14

Yeah just a little grumble and a bit of a swish is what Im going for so this sounds like the way to go. Cheers for all your help.

jezza49

cupra tdi 150
Jul 1, 2008
maidstone, kent
as d.k said i would go the modded air box route,bit of work but by what people who have done it sounds worth it! just ebayed to get mine:D

Danny14

Just reading the guide, one thing I am uncertain about is where the 3" tubing connects to and where it goes and also what it replaces, can anyone shed light on this for me please?

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
There is a feed pipe that goes from the back of the offside head light, You need to remove this and replace it with the 3" one.

Danny14

Ah ok cool, anyone know where I can get the pipe? Cant seem to find it on ebay...

Danny14

Brilliant, I'm gonna be busy this saturday, I'll let you know how I get on.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.