Fitting a dual-din radio

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
hi guys, i've pretty much decided on a dual din radio for my car, looks the nuts

just got a few questions:

1. I've heard that fitting a dual din radio is hard in the mk4, apparently theres not quite enough room. do you have to chops bits of plastic off at the back or can you just remove the center piece of plastic? or do some radios just fit anyway?

2. Once installed I heard its very hard to get the radio out. is that true? ideally i'd want to take it out if and when i'd sell the car

3. Security, i cant say ive seen any dual din radios where you can remove the front. is there anything you can recommend to cover up my radio or make it look secure?

jwilkinson

Oct 12, 2008
I wanted to do this so I've looked into it quite alot.

It depends on the one you want. If it's a full screen one like the Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD or simliar, you do need to cut bits out of the plastic behind for it fit in.

But if it's just a double din like the Clarion DUZ388RMP or similiar, then it just needs a VAG double din fascia as these head units are smaller than the slot.

Security wise, most say that a thief would be lucky to get a double din out within 2 hours

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
yeah its a similar model, the model i was looking at is the pioneer avh-3100dvd, i can get one for ?230 which is a pretty damn good bargain

what would you recommend cutting it with? i'm hoping i wont have to cut too much (at all)

2 hours? bloody hell. i might have a game getting it out when selling the car lol
________
Kitchen Measures

Last edited:

jwilkinson

Oct 12, 2008
also, not sure you'd be able to put it back when you sell it.

You have to cut out the plastic struts that hold the tray in below your existing HU for it to fit.

So to put it back you'd have to somehow stick them back in...

This is part of the reason I decided not to go ahead, that and the cost, but you have found a bargain there!

Jun 13, 2008
Kent
Yeah once it's in, it's in! Well I couldn't get it out but the audio shop could so if you ever need it taken out just get someone else to do it and save the hassle.
Finally caved in to get one eh :D
Which one is it?

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
There's a few members on here who've fitted them.

Check out this thread for some ideas
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195042&highlight=double+din+head+unit

cheers mate, i was looking for that thread :)

also, not sure you'd be able to put it back when you sell it.

You have to cut out the plastic struts that hold the tray in below your existing HU for it to fit.

So to put it back you'd have to somehow stick them back in...

This is part of the reason I decided not to go ahead, that and the cost, but you have found a bargain there!

damnit, thats a bit of a bummer. i know when i eventually sell my car i probably wont get any extra for including the stereo plus i'd probably want to keep it. i had a feeling that might be the case though. thats kind of put me off

Yeah once it's in, it's in! Well I couldn't get it out but the audio shop could so if you ever need it taken out just get someone else to do it and save the hassle.
Finally caved in to get one eh :D
Which one is it?

sweet, sounds like a plan :) how much was your installation btw mate?

this is the one i'm interested in:

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/109/281/AVH-P3100DVD/index.html

looks pretty damn nice

edit: btw does anybody know if its just the back plastic that sticks out (with the hole) that needs cutting or other bits too?

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2008
Kent
oh my god that is seeeeeeexy!
Think the installation for mine was about 90, but that's because it was satnav, had to stick the aerial somewhere, hook it up to the ECU and handbrake (for the DVD for some reason) and the illumination so when you stick the lights on it dims down (probably same for yours)

Second to none job though, so glad I got them to do it and not half arsing it myself and having all those cables unhooked

jwilkinson

Oct 12, 2008
i agree that pioneer is really nice!

I think the reason they hook it up to the brakes is so you can't watch it whilst going along, not sure however.

Which one you got BigWill? Any pics of it fitted :)

Jun 13, 2008
Kent
i agree that pioneer is really nice!

I think the reason they hook it up to the brakes is so you can't watch it whilst going along, not sure however.

Which one you got BigWill? Any pics of it fitted :)

Yeah the handbrake idea was for that, however you can still watch em going along, perfect for heavy traffic!

Got the AVIC-D3 (thinking about fitting the Bluetooth module to it.

Custom made picture on screen :D
DSC01850.jpg

Last edited:

jwilkinson

Oct 12, 2008
I must say they do look smart.

The reason I wanted a double DIN was obviously for the amazing screen and features etc, but I love the fact it fills the slot. just looks alot neater.

Hmm, this could be bad for my bank balance.....

Jun 13, 2008
Kent
I must say they do look smart.

The reason I wanted a double DIN was obviously for the amazing screen and features etc, but I love the fact it fills the slot. just looks alot neater.

Hmm, this could be bad for my bank balance.....

Another nice feature (on a lot of the pioneers) is that you can check how many G's you pull when accelerating/braking and turning. 0.5G in my 1.2 yeeeeah! [B)]

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.