fitting a set os rota slipstreams

kingbryan

as im pretty unknowledgable about this situation would someone be able to elighten me.

a set of wheels that i really like (rota slipstreams) come in 16x7 which i assume is a fine size to fit on the ibiza in 4x100 which is essential and now for the part i have a question about.the offset is 45et which i understand isnt in the 35-38 bracket.

what sort of difficulties would i be looking at for fitting these wheels?i have very little idea how offsets etc work so would be greatful if someone would give me an idea on the subject.

cheers

bryan

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
with a 7" rim the offset would be different anyway surely ? mind you id have to look again to check

main thing to watch is the arches - especially on the rear but 16" might not be so bad

kingbryan

fl@pper - i have no idea bud, thats why i am asking lol.

genuinely clueless on this sort of subject.

mork - cheers,unfortunatly not what i wanted to hear but ta anyway.

would i be able to get away witha 40?because they do the wheels in a 15x7 i think with a 40et.

Last edited by a moderator:

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
I'll try to be gentle as, by your own admission, you are pretty unknowledgable about this situation would someone be able to elighten me.

Offset is a measure of how far the centreline of the wheel is from the mounting face of the hub. If you were to take two wheels with the same dimensions, 7jx15 for example, but one with an ET45 offset and one with an ET35 offset, the wheel with the ET45 offset will sit further into the arch, and likely give you problems with rubbing on the inner wing.

Things are further complicated by the fact that offset is measured at the centreline of the wheel, so if the car was intended to take a 6j width wheel with ET38 offset, using a 7j width wheel with ET38 offset will sit 12.5mm closer to the inner wing (and also stick out 12.5mm further too). A 7j width wheel with ET45 offset will sit almost 20mm closer to the inner wing, but only 5mm closer to the outer arch.

Have a feel around behind the existing wheels to see how much space you have to play with - it's worth checking the both sides at the front on full lock in both directions. Clearances will change once suspension loads up, but it'll give you some idea of whether (or how badly) it'll rub.

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
hows he meant to understand that... lol. i was struggling to understand it and i know a bit.
in leymans terms

the bigger the offset the closer to the arch the wheel gets... measured from the face the wheel is mounted to
The width of the wheel is just i guess the width of the wheel... eg 7 being 7'' 6 being 6''
not sure what the 'j' is

best bet is to try a mates or find people that have had them on to see what they say.

ive got a 40 offset on mine and they fit fine, theyre 17'' as well.
i think theyre a '7' too if im not mistaken, had to grind a bit of the arch to fit the skirts on so not sure if it would have rubbed before i cut away the body... but then im talking about 17'' wheels and youre not :) rubs a bit on full lock tho, get a good few stares when it catches and makes a reeeeeeet noise.

mine are 40 offset as said with a '7' width wheel, i wouldnt suggest going anymore than that without arch work, if youre lowering it a lot. i cannot get my fingers between the arch and the wheel at the back so its pretty close

i hope im right about the offset bit if im wrong delete that bit or ill do it myself once proven.

james_mk

Mk bandit
May 14, 2004
milton keynes/coventry
No i havent rolled the arches....however...i used my hand and slighty pulled the front ones out..and ive cut the plastic inner arches out at the front and back slightly... no rolling tho.. but ive stuck 195 types on there instead of 205 or 215 whatever theyre sposed to be...

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
Because we generally think in terms of negative offset wheels (but don't explicitly state it), large offset wheels sit further into the arch, smaller offset wheels stick out further. As mentioned in my earier post, it's important to remember that offset is measured at the centreline of the wheel, so a wider wheel with same offset will sit further into the arch and also stick out further. That extra width has to go somewhere!
jenk said:
Good spot. You can use spacers to effectively reduce the offset. So an ET45 offset wheel with a 10mm spacer will make an effective ET35 offset.

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Not just a pretty face am i ;)

Ill be fitting d90's if all goes to plan and these have an ofset of ET52 IIRC. But as these are 5 stud pattern ill use adaptors 20mm thick and effectivly bring the ET to 32. 52 - 20 = 32 da da :D

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Sorry mate, being a simple minded boy means i can get confusing :p

Still running the 8v, had a price on a VR conversion and was pleasently suprised with the cost. Just need a money tree :(

kingbryan

hopkinsgm said:
Because we generally think in terms of negative offset wheels (but don't explicitly state it), large offset wheels sit further into the arch, smaller offset wheels stick out further. As mentioned in my earier post, it's important to remember that offset is measured at the centreline of the wheel, so a wider wheel with same offset will sit further into the arch and also stick out further. That extra width has to go somewhere!

Good spot. You can use spacers to effectively reduce the offset. So an ET45 offset wheel with a 10mm spacer will make an effective ET35 offset.

thanks very much guys,especially hopkinsgm and ibiza_95 for trying to explain it in simple terms.

so my desire to fit slips onto my car could be done by using 10mm specers all round?

i was intending to get some spacers to bring the wheels out a bit anyway as this looks better and it also makes the car feel better when cornering??

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise