Fitting aftermarket HU cage

guiddruid

Once the original (aura) head unit is removed, is there anything else that needs to come out before an aftermarket HU cage can be fitted?

I removed the aura unit yesterday, and tried to trial-fit the cage for my JVC hu, but it was really tight, I think left-right. Should I just trim the plastic guides on either side back a bit with a chisel? Will this make the original hu loose when I refit to sell the car in a few years?

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
My Pioneer cage was a tight fit.

I;d read what Pete said in another thread & thought I'd need to do the same, but I forced it in (not coming out again lol) - and it's perfect now :)

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I've had a JVC and Alpine cage in the Leon and didn't need to cut anything. Got a Becker now which doesn't have a cage, and that also went in without the need to take a knife to it.

They can be tricky to get in, a bit of squeezing, twisting and determination is needed. But it's worth the effort, as it means the standard unit can slot straight back in snugly when it comes to getting rid of the car.

guiddruid

Thanks for all the tips. Fitted it properly today & it went in just fine; one of the tabs on the cage was angled down a bit, and was catching on the way in. Lots of room behind the unit for all the cables too, which makes a nice change.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.