Fitting Headlight Washers

brush.

Does anyone have any information on fitting headlight washers to an Ibiza? I have done some searching but couldn't find much. There must be a guide around here somewhere...?

Would I need a new bumper? Hopefully not. I think I read somewhere that the Ibiza ones that were part of the Winter Pack weren't heated and the nozzles froze up?? Maybe I could fit ones from an Audi or Golf?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I don't think that any of the headlight washers had heated jets as they are well protected down inside the bumper. They were always fitted along with HIDs or as you say part of winter pack along with heated windscreen washer nozzles and heated front seats.

brush.

No, don't have HIDs - I just think it would be a cool thing to do. I drive a lot on dirty country roads and the headlights get filthy pretty quick - especially at this time of the year when the roads are always wet.

Check this out: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2490480

Something like that seems like a possibility. The idea of cutting into my bumper is terrifying though!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've had them on a B5 Passat with HID's for 9.5 years and they work well, especially when driving long distance on salted roads - they will not freeze up if you use the correct level of addative in the fluid. The only trouble with the Passat ones have been that the pump split - probably due to corrosion as it is located in a bad place. A new pump was not as expensive as I had thought it would be. My wife's 9N Polo was spec'd with winter pack and so far 7+ years its pump (same as Passat one) still looks intact and works fine - she tends to travel on back roads where there are open cast workings and farms etc - and they certainly keep her lights clean. I'd reckon that if your are mainly driving in towns and in warmer areas of UK, then headlight washers are not something that you would need hence you would find them "useless". They do the job they were intended for in my experience.

By the way, they are a bit "involved" - need a large fluid reservoir and the jets are quite large bits of plastic that get driven up by the high pressure pump then spray out the water, then collapse back down - ie they are not just simple fan sprays like the window washers.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
bloody useless things, i have them on mine, and they are a pain in the arse, im actually in talks to gett the bloody things removed, they clean sod all, apart from maybe your bonnet and windscreen, the nozzles fit into the bumper so you need a special bumper to fit them (reduces the opportunity for new bumpers), the cylinders keep freezing up and stick and stick out the bumper, and you drain your washer fluid alot quicker

in answer to your other question, the came as part of the 'convience' pack............ along with heated and electric folding door mirrors, auto dimming rear view mirror (that is actually very very good) and the heated windscreen washer nozzles

qwert

Jan 13, 2008
Ditto....there useless. They never work, they both stay stuck up making you look a bit mental as you drive about, plus if your lucky the plastic colour coded covers will then fly off. I hate them. The one time they worked they pathetically "make wet" the headlights, bonnet and windscreen, there is no cleaning of any kind.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members