Fitting HID's - Is removing the bumper totally Necessary??

Soundwave

Aug 18, 2007
Basildon, Essex
Hello chaps,

Just a quickie I'm looking at fitting some HID's to my '03 Plate Cupra & having read this here fitting guide...

http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=6

It mentions removing the bumper...is this 100% necessary??

One of my main bulbs has blown & I'd like to get the kit & fitted asap but I'm not comfortable with removing the bumper myself so wondered if I really have to do it or can I manage without the extra effort??? ;)

Ta in advance

Neil

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
not strictly necessary, depends upon where you wish to stow them.

i'm looking at washer bottle & battery side after removing both for access ease with cable ties and bags to keep water out

Soundwave

Aug 18, 2007
Basildon, Essex
not strictly necessary, depends upon where you wish to stow them.

i'm looking at washer bottle & battery side after removing both for access ease with cable ties and bags to keep water out

Excellent news :)

Will get the kit ordered now then & hopefully fitted at the weekend.

Neil

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
that HID fitting guide is very detailed...the way I went about fitting my HID's:

Remove exisiting bulbs.
Plug wiring and ballasts in.
Put bulbs back into head lights.
Check to make sure they aren't pointing up at other road users..but if you headlights were correctly aimed before that shouldn't be a problem.

you'll need to cut a whole in the back removable plastic to run the wires through.
And find somewhere to stick the ballast packs one of mine is down the side by the battery the other one is hidden behind the washer bottle which i removed to fit it in.

Took me about 30 minutes in the dark to do!

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego
Who the hell said to remove the bumper?? For christ sake.

As 777cupra said. Very easy to do. There is even a nice little shelf for the ballast on the passenger side below the headlight cover

Soundwave

Aug 18, 2007
Basildon, Essex
Excellent stuff, glad to hear they are easy to fit...I'm useless at this stuff you see ;) lol

Will let you know how I get on after they are fitted.

Thanks for the help.

Neil

Tyler Owen

Yeah a piece of piss to install really it'll take you longest to try and hide the ballasts away somewhere.

You will need a 20 or 25 mm, can't remember exactly which i think it is 25mm hole saw in order to fit the bulbs through the back of the light lens but of you haven't got one you go drill a few holes and file them out till you fit the bulbs through .... not as neat but will work !!

But yeah that and hiding the ballasts is the hardest part !!

Soundwave

Aug 18, 2007
Basildon, Essex
Well the HID's are ordered £53 from a UK seller with 1 Year Warranty...I know I could get them cheaper from the Far East but I'd rather have easy aftersale backup should I fry anything ;)

Thanks for the help guys mucho appreciated.

Neil

Pecky24

ive fitted dip and main beam and def do not need to remove bumper

Mar 5, 2007
The biggest pain for me was cutting the holes into the headlight covers, and the bloody F**KING fiddly awkard fiddling f**k of re-attaching the metal clip that holds the bulb in place. That was such a PITA on the passenger side with the battery in the way.

But yeah, other than that, pretty straight forward. Though a year on, and that same side bulb has blown, so I've got to drive around with one light like a spanner until the new one arrives from hong chong.

andycupra

status subject to change
you only need remove the bumper if you intend to or need to do any of the following:

1. you are changing the headlights. (eg to projects)
2. want to hide the balast in the bumper somehow...!?
3. need to complete mods to the existing headlights that would require you to take them off the car. (some have reported needing to drill bits out of the standard headlights).

It probably depends whther the kit you get fits, (ie fit into the existing bulb recess)

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
how is full beams doing ??

i wud have thought not good for flashing ppl, as it takes a few seconds to get full potential (brightness)

You know the initial flash you get when you turn Hids on (from the higher startup voltage); it does this when you flash someone; so is pretty effective. I've had the same full beam bulbs in since april with no problems; although I will be changing them to 4300k when I get a chance to match my dipped :)

cupra_poolie

Oct 25, 2008
Hartlepool
my hid's came on wednesday, im going to attempt to fit on sunday i think. I was pretty gutted bout having to take bumper off on instructions i found on here but if people have done it without taking bumpre off itll be hell of a lot easier.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
my hid's came on wednesday, im going to attempt to fit on sunday i think. I was pretty gutted bout having to take bumper off on instructions i found on here but if people have done it without taking bumpre off itll be hell of a lot easier.

definitely not a bumper off job; just slide the battery cover off and remove the 4 screws holding in the air channelling behind the passenger headlight and access will be much easier!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members