Fitting Replacement Downpipe (1.6S)

dirtbiker

Dec 28, 2006
Southampton / Nottingham
Hi All,

My flexible section failed in the exhaust so I've ordered a new downpipe which I'm currently trying to fit. Problem I'm having is getting it through the gap between the subframe and the floorpan, doesn't seem to want to go no-matter what I try!

Has anyone done this before, if so, which way did you start (IE from in front of the subframe or behind the subframe) and did you have to drop the subframe down to get it done (really, really hope this isn't the case!)

Cheers for any thoughts :)

dirtbiker

Dec 28, 2006
Southampton / Nottingham
Ok, well I've decided that I'm going to have to drop the subframe so I've undone the dog-bone mount, loosened the four bolts that hold the steering rack in place and then loosened the two large (21mm A/F) bolts that hold the back of the subframe to the floor pan. Problem is that this doesn't seem to allow the subframe to drop down, it still seems suspended on the rubber bushes.

Do the large bolts have to come out completely? If so, do I need a jack under there to support the back of the subframe.

Sorry for all the questions, really wish I hadn't left my Haynes manual at Uni!

dirtbiker

Dec 28, 2006
Southampton / Nottingham
Right, managed to get this little job finished this morning so I thought I may as well explain how here in case anyone else needs it in the future:

There are, in fact, four subframe bolts (21mm across the flats) and by loosening these you can drop the subframe by about 10mm. This allows just enough space to push the new down pipe in from the front of the car, up and over the subframe member.

Once the new downpipe's through the gap it's just a matter of retightening the subframe bolts, fitting the rubber mounts to the "prongs" and putting all the nuts/bolts back where you found them!

I've read elsewhere that the castor angle can be altered by lowering the subframe so I'm planning on getting my tracking checked in the near future and will post back here to let you know whether it's out or not.

Hope this is useful to someone some day!

diabolus

had the same problem today just trimed a little off the 'prongs' till it fitted, will criss cross some jubilee clips over the mount to secure it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members