Fitting strut brace - longer bolts?

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
It's 3 bolts, and as it's a Forge strut brace, it needs some washers to raise it a few mm so it clears the airbox. So I really do need longer bolts!

So back to the original question, would it cause any problems by using bolts that are longer than required, due to the limited availability of 35mm bolts.

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
Cheers for that, I will go have a look lunchtime, I've got to get some 99ron fuel from tesco in that direction anyway. (Can only get 97ron back where my parents live in Cornwall).

I really want to get the thing fitted this weekend!

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
Cheers for the offer!

If all else fails, I will go back to B&Q and get the 50mm ones, a 10 pack is under £3 with washers + nuts, I will then go see a friend who can do some precise cutting.

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
I find I get better mpg on 99ron, it's Revo stage 1, with GP filter, PD160 intake and Miltek Cat back.
However I never really push it hard, there's no need 99% of the time, it just tears the tyres up!

And if I do want to prove a point.. few people seem to ever expect it to take off like it does :D

From all the research I have done, 99ron means the ignition timings can be slightly advanced meaning it will make a little more power, not that I have really noticed..I recently replaced the faulty N75 valve with a standard replacement, now that made a noticeable difference, no more wavy boost!

I think the main point about the 99ron is the fuel is better quality overall, some say the 97ron is just 95 with octane booster in it.(talking tesco's fuel).

The very best is Shell Optimax, but that is more money and not that much better than tesco 99 so tests have 'proven'.

Proff_CUPRA 180

Jun 12, 2008
West Midlands
Yeah i thought that, with a map it would run better on higher ron fuel.

Mines std and i havent seen a difference from using premium fuels, if there is a difference its only slight.

You had it on a Rolling Road to see what power your putting out with the stage 1 etc?

My car always seems to run better on BP fuel than anyone elses for some reason???

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
I have not had it on a RR, I would like to, and I would like to think it would show at just over 200bhp with the mods I have. You should get a remap, amongst other things it makes the accelerator pedal more lively/sensitive! And slightly better mpg.

I don't use BP fuel their premium stuff really has a premium price, in Launceston it's 10p/L more than tesco 97ron! So I fill up with 99ron before I head down to Cornwall!

Proff_CUPRA 180

Jun 12, 2008
West Midlands
Yeah i wudda thought just over 200bhp is about right, bought 190bhp with the revo stage 1 out the box, then plus 10/15 bhp with the other mods.

Remap is next on the cards for me mate as well as other things. Im getting the exhaust, TIP, 007p, open cone filter all done first and have it mapped around them.

P-Torque is only 5 miles from me too ;)

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
Sounds good! I purchased mine already modded, all I have done to it is the N75.

Oh and it has the forge 007, that's essential.

I was quite surprised to get it for such a good price considering it only had 30k on the clock, although in hindsight the chap was not having too much luck selling it, maybe due to the wavy boost issue.

Just about to get some cupra bushes fitted and uprated suspension ready for a trip to the ring in September. (BH2N).

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members