FIXED - AYP Cupra problem: Oil & Water temperture getting high?

45_CB

Back in the Cupra again
Oct 8, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
:confused:

My oil temperature seemed to be going higher than normal the other day, and then one point reached like 210 [:@] then the car's water temp started getting VERY high - driving normally on open roads.

31316290.jpg

(Blue normal - Yellow Current)

Anyway checked my oil and it was below half way on dipstick so topped it up and put this down to the running problems i had recently.

Its no different :( - has water, oil, and I left it running on the spot and doesnt get hot on water temp gauge and fan cuts in :)

Just when driving I have to have heaters on full to keep it a little cool or it flys off the temp gauge! :confused:

Any ideas :cry:

Last edited:

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
Whats the coolant condition like? When was it changed last? Has it got G12 or aftermarket antifreeze mixed? My guess would be a blocked radiator or as above water pump problems, what ever you do don't drive it while its overheating as you will likely blow the head gasket!

45_CB

Back in the Cupra again
Oct 8, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
The cambelt and tensioners were done in feb 08 but unsure about water pump if it was done so have asked previous owner and going to check service history.

Car has done 83,000 miles. Thank you for help so far, if I could buy you a drink I would lol

adp

Jul 10, 2008
Swansea
Mine did this a few times, i even dropped the water and flushed the system and it didnt make a difference. Whacked a new green temp sensor in and its perfect.

But 100% check up on the water pump because its game over if that goes. My mates went last month and made hell of a mess.

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
Mine did this a few times, i even dropped the water and flushed the system and it didnt make a difference. Whacked a new green temp sensor in and its perfect.

But 100% check up on the water pump because its game over if that goes. My mates went last month and made hell of a mess.

But his oil temp is rising as well so its not a sensor problem.

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
if they did the cambelt they should have changed the waterpump as well, as its right there. but maybe they tried cutting costs...

the waterpump should have been changed around 55K (90,000 KM's). so it shouldn't really be playing up already, if it was changed...

but check the service

sparkie1984

sparky
Aug 17, 2008
maybe it was a plastic impellor pump, when i had mine changed it had 3 of the fins snapped off!!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members