flat spot - I've tried all sorts - any more ideas???

toptotz

Here's Jonny...
Aug 26, 2007
Blackpool
I have a terrible flat spot on one of my cupra R's - I've tried all sorts to fix it but am at my wits end!

so far i've had the following done but to no avail:

New Boost Controller Sensor,
New Mass Air Flow Meter,
New Platinum Plugs,
also had it remapped to see if that would cure it but it hasn't - i've even had the map done twice to double check!!!

It's been linked up to see if there are any faults showing & it is showing no faults at all...

Please can anyone help as this is turning into a very expensive cure!:cry:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2006
cumbria
www.facebook.com
Hi mate,dunno if it's worth a look but i had a flat spot on my 20VT at around 1500-2500 rpm,the car had to go in for a service and it was found that the breather pipes at the front of the engine,below the charge box had perished in a cpl of places,they were replaced and the car feels exactly as it did the day it was mapped,no flat spot and really lively again,must be worth a check.

toptotz

Here's Jonny...
Aug 26, 2007
Blackpool
thanks for that, i've also had a set of silicone hoses fitted - would these breather pipes have been changed at this point?

Bishbash25

Sep 10, 2008
Portsmouth
I have noticed latley i have a split delay when i change through gears prob about half a sec before power kicks back in anyone have this issue.

toptotz

Here's Jonny...
Aug 26, 2007
Blackpool
although maybe i should mention that one of my LCR's has been set up so as to not let the revs drop at all during gear change - it's been played with by seat sport so i couldn't tell you what they've done but it has no lag at all being set up that way!

edh

Have you tried a throttle body clean and realignment?

Had similar problems with my Cupra and a new N75, N249, DV and also replaced 2 breather pipes which had split helped alot but the TB clean made the biggest difference on my Cupra and is completely smooth now, apparently it was pretty dirty and probably had never been done at 55k.

edh

Think you can get a spray and clean it without taking it off but the best way is probably to completely remove it. There's quite a few threads on here about it - I didn't do mine myself so I don't know what method was used on mine but it made a massive difference.

toptotz

Here's Jonny...
Aug 26, 2007
Blackpool
thanks for that - i'll try n find some threads about it, still struggling to find my way around the site at the moment! :)

toptotz

Here's Jonny...
Aug 26, 2007
Blackpool
MAF reading - anyone know what it should be?

hiya, just got my car back from having the boot lock replaced & i asked them to check the readings on the MAF as my car's just gained a bit of a flat spot at 2000RPM.
they said the reading came back at 4.6G/S & should be around 3.6G/S but they weren't sure if it was higher because it's been mapped or if this is a faulty MAF.

Any ideas??? :shrug:

toptotz

Here's Jonny...
Aug 26, 2007
Blackpool
Just disconnected the MAF and been for a quick spin & the flat spot appears to have gone but still a bit lumpy - not sure i've done enough miles to be convinced its gone but will find out for certain tomorrow.

Does this reading mean it's getting too much air & not enough fuel or should it be higher because of the remap / induction etc???

:confused:

toptotz

Here's Jonny...
Aug 26, 2007
Blackpool
i think they've only checked this at idle speed - could that be why it came back at 4.6g/s?
i'm completely baffled - have they made a mistake with the reading, maybe?
but that wouldn't explain why they think it should be 3.6 tho:shrug::confused::shrug:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
log under load across rpm range at wide poen throttle in 3rd and see what max number you get
you cant readily judge a maf from its idle readings, so small a signal to differentiate

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.