flip key info thread

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Chris don't mean to be a pain but it really don't say it on my key
Perhaps yours is different then. Maybe a different key manufacturer? I know VAG have changed key manufacturers a few times. Mine's a Hella.

With mine, if you hold the key with the remote buttons facing you and the key blade pointing upwards, and turn the key 90 degrees to your left, it shows the frequency on the side.
Got my key cut and tried to code it but didn't hear any beep followed phil's video and the video off the eBay I bought it off, the key works, engine starts and I can drive it but the key code on dash keeps flashing at me, anyone got any ideas?
Do you have a factory fitted alarm on your new one mate? I don't think you'll get the bleeps if an alarm isn't fitted, as there's no siren unit to make the noise. :lol:

Never heard of the key light on the dash flashing. Can you get a picture?

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
This thread is amazingly long! BTW I have read every post in it which took hours! :) Having made my own flip key like you guys are doing a good few months ago...respect to you all. If you're struggling, keep at it and it'll fall into place soon enough. I got the 1J0 'DA' 3 button remote on ebay for 20 quid and it works on my '05.

Once you've done it it'll give you a smile each time you use it as you'll have saved a packet from paying a dealers prices eh :)

Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
Never heard of the key light on the dash flashing. Can you get a picture?

This one is the immobiliser light, if you put your old key without a transponder in the barrel and do ignition on you'll see it, try to start the car it'll cut out :)

Then again, just read Alex's post above and it doesn't seem like this! Maybe i should read stuff in the right order :D

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Okay, got my flip key bits, have already programmed the new 3 button remote to the car and it's working great. :)

However I've just taken my old non-remote key apart to take the immobiliser transponder out of... and I'm stuck! The transponder appears glued in and won't budge at all.

Any ideas guys?

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Okay, got my flip key bits, have already programmed the new 3 button remote to the car and it's working great. :)

However I've just taken my old non-remote key apart to take the immobiliser transponder out of... and I'm stuck! The transponder appears glued in and won't budge at all.

Any ideas guys?

use some Acetone / nail polish remover to soften the glue, then it should come out

andy17

PD100
May 20, 2009
Southport

Any ideas guys?

Be really careful. I used nail polish remover and it was loose at one end but not the other. Got to forcefull and it snapped :cry:

Think patience is key here

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling

Any ideas guys?
Here's post #1433
I've done a piccy to try and help and also show it can be done. I worked from the inside of the key and after a couple of hours had success. I guess it varies how much glue there is?
Transponder-and-Key-1.jpg
It can take a few hours gently scratching away with with a sharp pin and using nail varnish remover but it can be done as I luckily found. Just be patient and it'll just drop out :D Do be vcareful though as they break for fun.

pedrosol

En Espana
Apr 30, 2011
Malaga
I only had 1 transponder so took the cover off the steering column and taped it to the pick-up coil on the end of the key barrel. Worked best at the 10 to 12 position. Put the cover back and Hey-Presto!! I have got 3 working keys now and no one can tell. (Apart from you all now) Peter.

pedrosol

En Espana
Apr 30, 2011
Malaga
I was fortunate with my transponder that it was not glued in but held inside a tiny polythene block which could be popped out and then the little glass bulb just pushed out of the polythene. Maybe because its a Siemans. Peter

cbr40017

Nov 24, 2006
Hampshire
i used the Mrs`s hairdryer to soften/loosen the glue & a craft knife to carefully scrape the glue away along each side of the transponder and after 5 - 10 mins it popped out ...........simples:D

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
Right! I'm too old to got through the whole thread,just one question.
54 plate ibiza FR. can i use the 3 button remote and have boot release?

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
use some Acetone / nail polish remover to soften the glue, then it should come out
I'll see what the sister has lying around :p
Be really careful. I used nail polish remover and it was loose at one end but not the other. Got to forcefull and it snapped :cry:

Think patience is key here
Classic pun :bleh:
Here's post #1433

It can take a few hours gently scratching away with with a sharp pin and using nail varnish remover but it can be done as I luckily found. Just be patient and it'll just drop out :D Do be vcareful though as they break for fun.
I've also had my standard non-flip remote key apart, there's no glue at all in that! It's just wedged in, shove a flat blade underneath and it just pops out.

Cheers for the info, I'll have a go, sounds like I'll have probably grown a beard before I get the transponder out :lol:
Right! I'm too old to got through the whole thread,just one question.
54 plate ibiza FR. can i use the 3 button remote and have boot release?
On my 52 plate 1.2, the boot doesn't "pop" however if you unlock the boot (with the rest locked) then it does just unlock the boot, and when you close it, it automatically re-locks the boot again. So even though on mine the boot doesn't pop, it's still a handy feature the car didn't have before.

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
If I buy this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-VW-SEAT-T...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a10a7c397

Could I just get it programed to my car, saving me taking my key apart?
You can program the remote, either with the methods described in the links in his listing, or with VCDS.

However, despite the key in the link you provided having a new immobiliser chip, that still needs coding to your car, which can only be done by auto-locksmiths or those with SKC code retrieval software and VCDS.

So the cheapest way you could do it is to move your immobiliser transponder over (by taking your key apart) or you could go to an auto-locksmith that would probably charge £20-£30 to code the new immobiliser chip in the new key. This way you can leave your current key as it is.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.