Flushing coolant?

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
Hi Folks.

I've done a search but am a little confused.

Should the G12 coolant in my car be flushed out yearly or can it just be topped up as required?
The car has been serviced twice in 12 months as I'm at 20,000+ miles but I think both the services only had a visual check on fluid levels.

Should I ask for the coolant to be changed?

Regards Guy.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
its up to you really like wearing pants you can wear dirty 1's the next day but do you want too :lol: i would flush all the coolant out and replace with the genuine g12 pink coolant

andycupra

status subject to change
pink stuff is a 5 year change.
blue 2 year.

its fine.

like brake fluid, coolant is something that has an interval, but im not sure of any dealer that changes it as part of any type of service unless you ask and pay extra for it.

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
pink stuff is a 5 year change.
blue 2 year.

its fine.

like brake fluid, coolant is something that has an interval, but im not sure of any dealer that changes it as part of any type of service unless you ask and pay extra for it.

Just to make sure, it's definitely based on years not miles yes?

Regards Guy.

andycupra

status subject to change
Just to make sure, it's definitely based on years not miles yes?

Regards Guy.

yes.

and 20,000 miles isnt too far anyway.

one thing id say is at that rate of miles your doing you will be looking at a cambelt change in 18-24 months maybe. You could take that oportunity to change it as you may want to odo the water pump also.

Last edited:

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
yes.

and 20,000 miles isnt too far anyway.

one thing id say is at that rate of miles your doing you will be looking at a cambelt change in 18-24 months maybe. You could take that oportunity to change it as you may want to odo the water pump also.

Thanks for the info mate. :)

The cam belt I understand, but are you saying I may need to change the water pump between 30 & 40k?
For what it's worth most of my miles are done on motorways, so 60-70 mph cruising is the norm.
Not too many gear changes if that makes any difference.

Regards Guy.

EDIT: I've got the pink stuff in my car.

Last edited:

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
It's that the water pump is in the same place as the cambelt, change one .. you might as well change the other and fit a metal bladed one whilst you're on. If you plan to keep the car it's an extra few quid very well spent.

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
It's that the water pump is in the same place as the cambelt, change one .. you might as well change the other and fit a metal bladed one whilst you're on. If you plan to keep the car it's an extra few quid very well spent.

OK. Understand that.
As a point of interest what are the blades on the pump I have now made of?

Regards Guy.

PS. Don't see you on this forum too often Pat! :wave:
How are you?

andycupra

status subject to change
the water pump is a weak point of these engines, the impellar is made of plastic, many people change over to the brass impellor'd pump when they change the cambelt as if it goes later its a £250 job rather than £30 for the part.
however note if you get a dealer to do it they may try to charge for each job as as seperate job. :(

as for mileage for the cam belt, i thought you did 20,000 miles in one year, so another 18 -24 months would be 50-60,000 miles.
many people and dealers now say change the belt at 60,000, however some points of reference state its a later change than this.

id say you could well go longer as you are putting the miles on quickly, but thats up to you. (mind you i presume you are remapped so you need to balance this).