fmic gains

brad1

hi there
i have just got myself a front mount intercooler with clips, fixings, pipes etc,
just wondering what are the bhp gains roughly from them and can you feel a difference in slight acceleration or boost when driving????
cheers

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
Dont think they give much in way of power increase,although you can increase boost abit more due to reduced inlet air temp,i think torque goes up a bit with front mount cooler but main thing is it keeps the power youve got constant on warmer days and helps prevent power loss due to rising inlet temp.Some people say the 2 side mounts are good and give lots cooling,me personally think they dont cope with remapped cars,they are too small and when temp gets up above 15c you notice a drop off in performance,dont know why seat didnt fit a front mount to start with really.

brad1

i know, the top tdi model cupra comes with one, but the cupra r dont.
how much ft lb more do you think you gain in a tdi

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
probably around 20-30 lbs at a guess,forge told me something like this when i was looking at getting cooler,didnt state power would go up but said it would feel faster due to ecu responding to cooler inlet charge.

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
how would you increase boost on a tdi turbo???

Well jabba told me when they fit my pro alloy they can tweak boost just a little bit more on laptop(they already have my map on there laptop so its just a case of tweaking map i think),they can do this safely cos although boost goes up slighty, temperature stays constant due to big increase in cooling.

strugers1

well i cant go all the way to jabba for a tweak lol is it not possible to do it via vag com??

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Try AmD mate tthey should be able to map a diesel they did my LCR at christmas and i'm well happy :clap:
And their only at thurrock

Danny_FR

Soot? Meh...
Mar 1, 2007
Blackburn, Lancs
I doubt that you'll notice any gain what so ever by just fitting a FMIC, it'll want mapping in as you'll be able to run more boost (depending on what turbo you've got fitted).

darylb

On a standard LCR what are typical ACT ?

Can you log this on vagcom ?

darylb

At the risk of sounding a stupid what do mean by ACT mate

Actual Charge Temperature

How hot the air is that enters the engine. If you have a fmic the ACT decreases and allows the turbo to make more boost.

This is why as metioned above, in the winter when its nice and cold there is very little difference on a standard car.

caveo

not much in hp gains but u can push it harder for longer as the cupra suffers from heat soak very quickly which robs hp.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I fitted a Forge FMIC to my LCR. I didn't notice any gains but does seem to pull better at higher revs.
If you've bought this for gains in a standard car I would say you've wasted money
If you've bought this in view to go Big Turbo or seriously mapped then you've done the right thing

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
hi there
i have just got myself a front mount intercooler with clips, fixings, pipes etc,
just wondering what are the bhp gains roughly from them and can you feel a difference in slight acceleration or boost when driving????
cheers

You may loose power........

There is a chance of pressure drop and with that power loss.

What's most likely is that hot days the car will run better (more consistant) less effects of heatsoak etc.

Jabba may be able to tweak your remap to suit but mainly bigger FMIC is an investment for further mods.....bigger turbo etc

darylb said:
On a standard LCR what are typical ACT ?

Can you log this on vagcom ?

Yes this can be logged with Vag Com, should be logs if you do a search......

Std SMIC's can see 40DegC intake temps on a hot day.......that said for £600ish for a decent FMIC for the LCR I'd spend my money elsewhere first (Suspension (ARB's strut braces or decent dampers) or Brake pads, Remaps etc

strugers1

well like i said in august i going up to jabba for a hybrid turbo conversion etc so a good investment i hope

strugers1

well the intercooler came from a racing tdi golf and its a universal fitting kit but the intercooler itself is said to be pretty good!!