Forge short shifter - won't go into 1st 3rd 5th!

kineticz

Forever moddin'
Jul 23, 2008
Shropshire
www.wepaintanypart.co.uk
I connected the clips on the two levers in neutral, and have tried adjusting the throw on the linkage itself with no luck. 2nd 4th and 6th go in fine, which Forge says wouldn't if it was set too short. I can get it into 1st 3rd and 5th JUST ABOUT so I'm thinking they will ease in?

I have followed the instructions on this site and the Forge instructions and it's resulted in this.

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
with the cables off can you select them manually on the top of the gearbox ?

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Any chance of getting the old on and seeing if its back to normal or not and then retry with the new.

kineticz

Forever moddin'
Jul 23, 2008
Shropshire
www.wepaintanypart.co.uk
With the cables off it still won't go easily into the top gears, but it DOES go into gear with a very short throw as I've tested it on a drive.

So 2nd, 4th and 6th are very smooth, 1st, 3rd, 5th do go in but VERY short throw. Any ideas on how to even them out?

Thanks alot :)

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
i just put mine on and it was fine carnt understand what you have done.and why you get three gears and the others a shorter throw try taken it off and redoing it

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
Yes used the Forge pin to lock the gearlever, then I had to push in this pin in the engine bay to lock the gearbox

tbh with abit of driving it seems to be going into the top position gears easier now.

have you just put it on? and what was it like before you did it was the box ok ?

vee_dub_modder

Volkswagen racing tech-pt
Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
Pop it in nutral and lock the gear leaver

DSC00946.jpg

pop the cables off the old linkage and remove the linkage

DSC00934.jpg

(iths the THS "cheaper but just as good alternative" but its the same jobby)

the pin if set too close/short will give you problems selecting the gears you've noted. try setting it for standard throw first and make sure the box is still in nutral. fit the cables again and adjust as necessary -- from my experience there is not much adjustment required.

Let me know how you get on. ;)

m3y

Dec 20, 2010
are these shifters difficult to fit? I want to get one and attempt it myself, but dont know the extent of the job..

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.