FR 184 terrible fuel economy

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
Don't think I've EVER used Eco mode. had car since April 2013 and done 30k miles.
I tried to use Eco but my finger kept darting away from the button.......

seventen710

Jul 18, 2012
Hampshire
Spoke to my local SEAT dealership this evening about the continuing woeful economy. He said that it was unlikely that I would see better fuel economy until the car has done 10-15k mile, that said they are checking it for anything obvious that might be wrong.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Spoke to my local SEAT dealership this evening about the continuing woeful economy. He said that it was unlikely that I would see better fuel economy until the car has done 10-15k mile, that said they are checking it for anything obvious that might be wrong.

Mine has just clocked over to 18k miles. No change in MPG. Biggest MPG improvement I can get it to use a fuel additive such as Millers or Archoil DMAX. That gave me about 5mpg increase and smoother/quieter engine.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Mine has just clocked over to 18k miles. No change in MPG. Biggest MPG improvement I can get it to use a fuel additive such as Millers or Archoil DMAX. That gave me about 5mpg increase and smoother/quieter engine.

I was told (not by seat just in general) it will improve after 30k!!!

I know a guy at Honda, they run their engines in on a Dyno and you get good/better mpg closer to the book figure from the get go.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Dont think many mass produced engines will be run in on a dyno before being built into the vehicle. That would cost way too much. Most engines are hot and/or cold tested but only for minutes not the hours at full load that a full break in and pass off (BIPO) takes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Dont think many mass produced engines will be run in on a dyno before being built into the vehicle. That would cost way too much. Most engines are hot and/or cold tested but only for minutes not the hours at full load that a full break in and pass off (BIPO) takes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'll ask him when I see him next. Maybe they do a bit more than VAG, a combination of that and more truthful and achievable book figures. He regulary gets a he'll of a lot closer on new or nearly new cars he drives regularly.

Then again why would we question VAG group figures for MPG if the CO2 of recent times was so spot on!!!

Last edited:

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire

Nope we have two cars one at 4k and the other at 35k both are 184FR manual and we get close to matching MPG in both city and motorways.

One is almost always run in sport and the other almost always run in eco

We get 45mpg ish around Leeds and at least 55mpg on motorways but we can get this above 65mpg by employing a few fuel saving tricks

Dp check your oil levels. the new one has used 0.5 litre in first 3k miles and the older one has used 1.5l over 35k miles

Last edited:

PM3

Aug 19, 2016
Hampshire
I've had my FR150 TDi for a couple of months now. I run it in Sport Mode on Shell V-Power and do a lot of urban driving. I get on average 48mpg around town and when I did a 200 mile round trip to Newport, Wales on mostly motorway I averaged 55mpg, most of it with cruise set at 82mph, with a few squirts to overtake. I averaged 47 at best in my 2.0 TDi 140 Stylance on a long run, so I am well impressed with the FR. Obvously this data is all via the cars computer so I don't know how accurate it is. I do get appx 90 miles extra out of tank although I have no idea if they are the same capacity.

Leckenby155

Oct 16, 2016
Sunderland to Stratford London yesterday 54mpg doing 70-80mph only out £60 in altogether and still got 1 bar!
In my fr 184

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
Newcastle upon Tyne to Stockport it returned 62 MPG,thats doing 70 most of the way and a little faster when someone was in the way.

PM3

Aug 19, 2016
Hampshire
all in all it's a great package of performance and economy, Don't know why you'd buy the 150 version really...
'Little steps' was probably the real reason I went for a 150. This is my first 'sporty car'. My MKII 140 was pretty nippy so I figured 150 would be a reasonable improvement. I also did a quick meerkat search for insurance on a 184 and thought it a bit steep from what I'm used to, having said that I've not insured the 150 for a year yet ( but that's another thread altogether), so I test drove the 150 and loved it. I'm not a massive petrol head, I buy outright and tend to keep my cars for 6 or 7 years.
I bought the 150 in September and absolutely love driving it. Don't get me wrong, after reading and looking at the some of the pics on here I am a little envious of you 184 and Cupra owners.

Green Mamba

Feb 22, 2008
Warwickshire
FR 184, manual, 28K miles. Serviced as required.

Long motorways journeys, I have crept the average up to 65MPG easy, as in Leicester to

This morning's run of about 13-14 miles I managed 52MPG, a bit of town, a few miles of dual carriageway and mostly 40-50 zones.

Town driving I tend to see 45MPG. Worst I've ever managed is down towards 40 itself.

I don't use Eco mode at all, if I anything I think it makes the economy worse having such a sluggish throttle response. Recently I've left it in sport mode and I don't feel that I can't get as good a return in normal if not better.

I'm not driving every day these days swapping my daily commute with other methods, cycling etc. That itself for some odd reason seems to help, but even I think that is nonsense that the frequency of car use would have an effect.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.